Sponsored by:

Just a quick pic of my recent clay bar treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 03:00 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000se
Thanks for the kind words and the advice. I'm not completely stopping here. Just taking a little break. I'll be back. I've a black truck that needs help bad!! Give me a few weeks, I'll be ready to tackle the truck first..

Those cars you posted look amazing! And I love those bronze wheels ..

It is a journey mate... So many things you can do. I'm happy you have joined.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:41 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

I went through the circle of life on detailing. Being ignorant, getting informed and freaked out, buying tons of products, teaching myself how to properly detail a car even with a multi-stage process, etc.

Most satsifying car I ever detailed was an '84 BMW 528e with 343k miles on it in immaculate condition but with original paint which had never been polished.

Anywho, I reached the full circle where now I SEE the paint flaws but I know to fix them i'm usually not "correcting" the paint. The paint is fine. I'm either polishing down and removing clearcoat to reduce the ability to see the swirl mark or I'm filling the clearcoat marks with a temporary filler in order to not see the swirl marks. Or both.

With 3 kids and a demanding job, I've given up trying to own colors that require lots of maintenance to look good. My focus now, even with all the detailing supplies in the garage, is to keep the paint/clearcoat protected. You can do that with just washing it and using a good quality sealant ~1-2 times per year. I love racing yellow, speed yellow, viper green, the dark blues, and various reds of Porsche....but man does GT Silver offer a care-free ownership experience
Old 04-17-2020, 12:07 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Joe,

Funny how life works... Like you, I had to give up my passion to take care of the family; now my teenage boy asks me to hang out in the garage to teach him my passion.
The following users liked this post:
Scott in NC (04-17-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:58 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Joe,

Funny how life works... Like you, I had to give up my passion to take care of the family; now my teenage boy asks me to hang out in the garage to teach him my passion.

That is something that will never be taken from that boy. I cherish every moment I reflect on how much knowledge my dad gave me. In attics, under houses, under cars, on the side of the road broken down..Truly a priceless moments.
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (04-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Just a quick pic of my recent clay bar treatment