Sponsored by:

Strange Front Radiator Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 09:36 PM
safortner
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschex3
I posted about this in the Cayenne forums and no one knew the answer. It's the relay controlling the fans. This happened in my 2016 Cayenne (to the point where it would drain the battery completely) and the dealer had it for weeks and couldn't diagnose it. Finally, I made them change out the relay (which was the consensus on the most likely culprit). After changing out the relay it has been fine ever since. Good luck!
Hi there... I have read through this discussion as I am having same issue in my 2016 Cayenne GTS. Dealer says I need new shutters and new assembly fan to the cost of $7K BUT will not guarantee this will fix the problem. I showed them this thread and they said the relay is located in the assembly fan and the whole thing must be changed, hence the expense. You seem to know what you are talking about.... is this true and accurate? I really appreciate your help, I have been dealing with this problem intermittently since 2018. NO ONE has been able to diagnose!
Old 11-06-2023, 09:43 PM
safortner
8th Gear

Originally Posted by LSR
My fan problem is resolved. It had nothing to do with the fans or the battery. Rather, the cause was a sticky DME relay. Fixing the relay cured the fan problem.
Hi there... I have read through this discussion as I am having same issue in my 2016 Cayenne GTS. Dealer says I need new shutters and new assembly fan to the cost of $7K BUT will not guarantee this will fix the problem. I showed them this thread and they said the relay is located in the assembly fan and the whole thing must be changed, hence the expense. You seem to know what you are talking about.... is this true and accurate? I really appreciate your help, I have been dealing with this problem intermittently since 2018. NO ONE has been able to diagnose!
Old 11-07-2023, 05:21 AM
noddy981
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by safortner
Sorry for the delay in responding, I am located in the UK, and really my previous posts says it all.

If you have the same symptoms as the ones I have listed, then yes, as you have a 2016 car and the dealer is saying the fan is faulty, the fan requires replacing. If your symptoms are the same then you will have confirmed that the fan motor still operates but not on a normal basis and you also have all manner of abnormal electrical issues, then your dealer is then correct in saying the fault is within the fan (a spurious can bus control signal that sends the car electrical systems into confusion) and that it needs replacing. I can see not reason for replacing anything other than the defective fan (mine was on your passenger side) unless you also have physical damage to the other parts he wants to replace. Those other parts are not connected with this issue. I sold my car a couple of years ago but never had any more issues with that fan or the opposite side fan.

So from what you said the dealership should only be charging you for the fan and fitting it. From what I can remember the new fan was about $500 plus $300 labour! The rest of my costs were down to trying to diagnose the cause and which in the end resorted to involving Porsche Germany to come up with the answer!

Hope this helps and saves you some money as I don't understand why your dealer wants $7K!

Old 11-07-2023, 11:33 AM
VII7
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

It depends on whats happening with your fan. If it tuns on at full blast after the car has shutdown for a couple of minutes that means the problem is it has power when it should not and it's going into failsafe mode. Replacing the fan will not fix anything.
If it seems to act erratically but turns off after a couple of minutes of shutdown then it could be the fan.
Also what a dealership to propose 7k and be like 'we just guessing'. If that's how they operate better to go with an indy.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:18 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I had similar symptoms to the OP which were resolved by replacing the left-side fan assembly which (typical of Porsche) is an integrated unit so that just the faulty relay was not available separately. I don't remember the cost but I do remember that there was not warranty consideration even though it was just out of warranty by one month.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:05 PM
safortner
8th Gear

Originally Posted by the_buch
I had similar symptoms to the OP which were resolved by replacing the left-side fan assembly which (typical of Porsche) is an integrated unit so that just the faulty relay was not available separately. I don't remember the cost but I do remember that there was not warranty consideration even though it was just out of warranty by one month.
thank you for your reply!
Old 11-07-2023, 06:05 PM
safortner
8th Gear

Old 11-07-2023, 06:06 PM
safortner
8th Gear

Old 02-24-2024, 04:08 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Where is the relay located?
Old 02-26-2024, 10:42 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by safortner
You don't say what is wrong with your car's fans, and in any event I don't know anything about the fans in your 2016 Cayenne GTS. I had a fan problem in a slightly different 2013 Carrera S. The best advice I can give is to pull the circuit diagrams of your car and study the circuitry powering the fan to try to figure out what the root causes could be before throwing thousands at the problem with no guarantee of success. In my case, a $2000 dealer estimate to repair the problem woudl have replaced the wrong parts to no effect. I figured out the problem was a failing $54 DME relay that I diagnosed and replaced myself.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:52 AM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
You don't say what is wrong with your car's fans, and in any event I don't know anything about the fans in your 2016 Cayenne GTS. I had a fan problem in a slightly different 2013 Carrera S. The best advice I can give is to pull the circuit diagrams of your car and study the circuitry powering the fan to try to figure out what the root causes could be before throwing thousands at the problem with no guarantee of success. In my case, a $2000 dealer estimate to repair the problem woudl have replaced the wrong parts to no effect. I figured out the problem was a failing $54 DME relay that I diagnosed and replaced myself.

Where is the DME relay located? Part numbet please?
Old 02-26-2024, 10:55 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose 993
Where is the DME relay located? Part numbet please?
On a 2013 Carrera S, it's behind the rear seat. I posted an annotated photograph and instructions for accessing it. Search the thread - it's got to be there somewhere.

Quick Reply: Strange Front Radiator Fan Problem