Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 base Carrera LSD

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020 | 05:37 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norge911
Correct me if I’m wrong but PDK use a electronic diff vs 7MT use a mechanical diff if your car is equipped
Consider yourself corrected

For RWD facelift cars the base uses the CG115 PDK box without LSD and the S/GTS use CG110 with LSD.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nathan_:
Norge911 (04-10-2020), S S (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020 | 11:55 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Across numerous platforms, I've found that wheel hop is also caused by slop in the suspension, I.e. soft control arm bushings. Even soft motor mounts and the engine can bounce around causing non-steady power delivery to the wheels.
ive thought about this. I don’t know that I ever launched the car before I installed H&R springs. I wonder if that is a contributor...

everyone else:

the cars are built with launch control from
the factory, nothing to worry about if you buy a car with sport chrono that has been launched. If it was bad, it wouldn’t be a an option.

i had an S. This car is an experiment and so far it’s working very well.

i had an all-wheel drive and this car is twice the fun, if not more. Daylight and dark.

Old 04-10-2020 | 12:39 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Reminds me of my 93 RX-7.

Developed terrible wheel hop, similar to what you describe leaving patches of rubber, 2 strips of rubber with gaps here and there.

Had an LSD.

Issue was 'slop' in the drive train.

1. Had a cracked Powerplant Frame (PPF) which was not uncommon on RX-7 as they put down more power.
2. Bushings were torn/worn.
3. Motor mounts worn/torn.

I would fix one thing, the wheel hop would go away allowing me to leave two glorious perfect stripes on the road.
Then it would come back.

Ended up replacing / upgrading trailing arms, control arms, PPF, added a differential brace / transmission brace and eventually solid motor mounts.

ZERO wheel hop now and zero slop in the drivetrain.

NVH has gone through the roof, but makes for a 'connected' sensation.
Old 04-11-2020 | 12:01 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nathan_
Consider yourself corrected

For RWD facelift cars the base uses the CG115 PDK box without LSD and the S/GTS use CG110 with LSD.
so I said if equipped. Base model - standard is no LSD. but if your car has option for LSD, then e-diff with pdk, if manual then mechanical diff
Old 04-11-2020 | 12:47 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norge911
so I said if equipped. Base model - standard is no LSD. but if your car has option for LSD, then e-diff with pdk, if manual then mechanical diff
Apologies for misunderstanding. I read what you wrote “PDK use a electronic diff vs 7MT use a mechanical diff if your car is equipped” as meaning PDK has e-diff and the manual may be equipped with a mechanical LSD due to the positioning of the “if your car is equipped” clause.

Either way the thread is about base model, there was no LSD option for either PDK or manual models RWD variants.

OP - I spoke to guards about this recently, basically someone needs to inspect the CG115 box, if it is narrower in the diff area than the CG110 then they are not able to provide a diff.

Apparently Porsche used two sizes previously, one was slightly (a few mm) narrower than the other, guards diff fits the CG110 gearbox which uses the wider diff but thus far no one has opened the CG115 to measure.

Last edited by Nathan_; 04-11-2020 at 01:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Norge911 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 02:33 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SeeForce
ive thought about this. I don’t know that I ever launched the car before I installed H&R springs. I wonder if that is a contributor...
Hmmm..... It does change the dynamics/response of the suspension system a bit. Sometimes it's also just the surface conditions. Or tire pressures. Nathan_ suggestion of the DSC module is not a bad one. It'll help with handling all the time and maybe stiffen up the suspension enough to prevent wheel hop.

Nathan_, you had me looking at a FD on Bring-A-Trailer....
The following users liked this post:
Nathan_ (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 02:52 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Post above mine was the RX7 one, though I approve of you looking on BAT for one, they are cool things

For DSC it can do things like increasing the front damping to assist with keeping weight over the back, pretty sure @Tom-TPC Racing mentioned this before.
Old 04-13-2020 | 10:32 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There two management methods to mitigate or eliminate wheel hop. For many drivers, the first items that comes to mind is the differential, which is Torque Transfer Management. The other method is Weight Distribution Management which is using the suspension to optimize the tire loading without exceeding it. These two methods were never meant to be a substitute for each other even though their effects can often crossover. Ideally they should complement each other when designing/building a car. Often one for the two is enough to improve traction when more horsepower/torque is introduced. There are knowledge members on this forum on differentials so I'll stick to suspension. So if the rear is squatting too much. adding rear damping compression and/or more front damping rebound will improve traction. If its the opposite, not enough weight distribution than softening rear compression will improve traction.
In the case of the DSC V3 controller on 991 cars, it uses the car's ride height sensors to detect suspension movements at 500hz, in the screenshot below is the DSC software with the blue highlighted cell showing Cmp-Low(Compression, Low Speed) at -5% value to improve traction.

DSC controller has proven to be effective in improving traction on high-power cars including 1000+hp Porsche Turbos, Nissan GT-R's, Vipers, and Corvettes.

And of course there are external factors as the condition of tires, tire pressure, and road surface condition.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Quick Reply: 991.2 base Carrera LSD