Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrap on used car

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

I would try to make the paint as perfect as you can before you install the clear bra.

If it's just a handful of rock chips and someone can fix them effortlessly that I say wrap away.

If the repair is going to cost as much as the wrap I would say ...... just enjoy the car and drive on.

When I bought my 13 C4S it had 2700 miles on it and near perfect paint so I had the front clip wrapped. Now that the car has over 100K miles the wrap has taken a beating but the paint still looks great. If I knew then what I know now..... I actually would have had more of the car wrapped like the trailing edges of the fenders and under the sides of the read bumper. Rocks have really taken it's toll to these areas.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:31 PM
jw72
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I am going to pass on the paint correction (for now). It is a weekend car (3k a year) and mainly worried about a rock chip or door ding. I am concerned about putting the PPF over 3 year old paint and most feel it is fine. I’m only putting it on the front, mirrors and doors of the car. Down the road I can remove it and a paint correction will be done.
Thank you all for the help
Old 04-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 317 Posts

If you are going to keep the car for an extended period sure. I would not ever purchase a used car with a wrap as I would just assume something was being covered up.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:01 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Wrap is mainly if you want to change the color of the car.

Prep on wrapped cars is key. A lot of installers will not prep correctly so a lot of issues are shown a few days after the wrap is completed.

PPF is good option, but I'd just do Paint Protection and Ceramic Coating
Old 04-07-2020, 05:27 PM
jw72
Intermediate

Maybe I do not understand the paint correction, I think the paint looks almost perfect. I was thinking the price of 2K for PPF.
I got this email from a local OC shop.

Regarding Paint protection (clear bra), we offer the SunTek (5) year product warranty film and SunTek Ultra (10) year product warranty film. Both present an amazing clear topcoat, have self healing properties and are wax-able. Other than the warranty length, the additional difference is the ten year warranty film is hydrophobic. Therefore, it's like having a permanent wax on the vehicle.

Pricing for installation for your 911 runs:
Partial Kit (full front bumper, partial hood and fenders and 2 side mirrors) runs:
SunTek, (5) year warranty film: $899
SunTek Ultra, Hydrophobic, (10) year warranty film: $999
Full Front Kit (full front bumper, full hood, full fenders and 2 side mirrors) runs:
SunTek, (5) year warranty film: $1599
SunTek Ultra, Hydrophobic, (10) year warranty film: $1699
Old 04-07-2020, 05:41 PM
jw72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
If you are going to keep the car for an extended period sure. I would not ever purchase a used car with a wrap as I would just assume something was being covered up.
I would not either unless it was wrapped new. I guess I could remove it when it comes tome to sell.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:54 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by jw72
Maybe I do not understand the paint correction, I think the paint looks almost perfect. I was thinking the price of 2K for PPF.
I got this email from a local OC shop.

Regarding Paint protection (clear bra), we offer the SunTek (5) year product warranty film and SunTek Ultra (10) year product warranty film. Both present an amazing clear topcoat, have self healing properties and are wax-able. Other than the warranty length, the additional difference is the ten year warranty film is hydrophobic. Therefore, it's like having a permanent wax on the vehicle.

Pricing for installation for your 911 runs:
Partial Kit (full front bumper, partial hood and fenders and 2 side mirrors) runs:
SunTek, (5) year warranty film: $899
SunTek Ultra, Hydrophobic, (10) year warranty film: $999
Full Front Kit (full front bumper, full hood, full fenders and 2 side mirrors) runs:
SunTek, (5) year warranty film: $1599
SunTek Ultra, Hydrophobic, (10) year warranty film: $1699

If you think the paint looks perfect, then that's where you should stay. Because as soon as you "know" what clean paint looks like, you can't unsee the mess that the majority of cars out there are. No paint is perfect. It's impossible if they are driven. If you really want to know the level of swirls your car has, let me know and I can tell you the best trick for finding them fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by SConn:
awfilms (04-07-2020), Guards_Red_991 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

I was anti-PPF until my latest car, which Mooty's favored crew wrapped (whole front end, all forward facing areas, and a couple of more spots).

Consider me a convert. While I still prefer the texture and idea of bare paint, and while PPF does get "chipped" in its own way, it has already saved me from a nasty scratch on top of the front bumper as well as a really nasty rock chip on the hood. It's hard to place a value on the how much the idea of rewrapping a panel or two rather than repainting them lowers the blood pressure. And the lack of visible swirls/spiderweb scratches on dark paint has me considering whether I'll wrap the rest of the car at some point.

If it were me, I'd have a very good detail done, fill in the chips that are there with the right color, and do some PPF. Today's paint's just aren't as resilient as the paints of old. PPF isn't right for everyone or every car, but I'm a believer now.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
If you think the paint looks perfect, then that's where you should stay. Because as soon as you "know" what clean paint looks like, you can't unsee the mess that the majority of cars out there are. No paint is perfect. It's impossible if they are driven. If you really want to know the level of swirls your car has, let me know and I can tell you the best trick for finding them fast.
This is spot on.

Got my car with 13k miles and paint was in good shape. Once I started correcting I saw what Guards Red truly looks like.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:43 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by jw72
I am going to pass on the paint correction (for now). It is a weekend car (3k a year) and mainly worried about a rock chip or door ding. I am concerned about putting the PPF over 3 year old paint and most feel it is fine. I’m only putting it on the front, mirrors and doors of the car. Down the road I can remove it and a paint correction will be done.
Thank you all for the help
A paint correction on a decent condition car might be a few hundred bucks. Do it before the PPF. Whatever you put PPF on, will be what you have. If the paint doesn’t look it’s best , the PPFd car will look ok, it probably flat. You are not going to pull off you PPF to have it paint corrected just to apply the PPF again. That would be a huge waste of money. Paint correct to a reasonable level and PPF. You won’t regret it.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:44 AM
ShinEva
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually consider that it is worthy wrapping any car that is in a good state, looking great and as you said is "shiny".
Old 04-14-2021, 03:22 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
This is spot on.

Got my car with 13k miles and paint was in good shape. Once I started correcting I saw what Guards Red truly looks like.
My 2014 Guards Red 991.1 had 36K miles when I bought it last year and the previous owner had PPF up the front half way. Not the perfect method but it protect the car for 6 years. That sold me on redoing it right there.
As stated above, once corrected and PPF was applied, the true color was finally visible. Well worth the investment for true piece of mind.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:04 PM
Rodabtin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinEva
I actually consider that it is worthy wrapping any car that is in a good state, looking great and as you said is "shiny". I really think that all of these cars can be wrapped, and they are worthy for that. Moreover, you car is only 3 years old, it is not an old car, not at all. Sure thing, you cannot call it new, let's say it is kind of ... really "fresh". I am actually looking to buy a 2018 bmw 535i, from https://www.stanmcnabbchevy.com/used-vehicles/ as they are having some really amazing cars, and the prices are also amazing.
Agree with you dude, basically, evey single car can be wraped, and in case you love it, it is worth it

Quick Reply: Wrap on used car