Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lubricate the O-ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020 | 12:16 AM
eastsideguy75
Instructor

Default How to lubricate the O-ring

I got the combo (filter, housing and o-ring) from my dealer. https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ing-0pb115403a

The o-ring is already "installed" on the filter housing. Do I need to remove the o-ring in order to grease it fully? Or can I apply the grease to the o-ring as it sits on the filter housing.
Old 03-29-2020 | 12:45 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eastsideguy75
I got the combo (filter, housing and o-ring) from my dealer. https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ing-0pb115403a

The o-ring is already "installed" on the filter housing. Do I need to remove the o-ring in order to grease it fully? Or can I apply the grease to the o-ring as it sits on the filter housing.
This is for a cayman?
Old 03-29-2020 | 01:43 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

The part of the o ring that needs to be greased is the outside as this needs to slide along the filter housing as it is screwed in.
It is easy to remove the o ring with a small flat head screwdriver if you find the cutouts that should exist in one part on the slot
holding the o ring. These cutouts allow you to get under the oring without damaging it. It you remove it you can grease both sides of the ring.
Old 03-29-2020 | 04:15 AM
eastsideguy75
Instructor

Originally Posted by arter
The part of the o ring that needs to be greased is the outside as this needs to slide along the filter housing as it is screwed in.
It is easy to remove the o ring with a small flat head screwdriver if you find the cutouts that should exist in one part on the slot
holding the o ring. These cutouts allow you to get under the oring without damaging it. It you remove it you can grease both sides of the ring.
Already installed it today by greasing the ring by hand without removing it. This means the outside is covered. Would this be ok till next change (which would be in 4-5 months)? How would I know if it is not ok (would there be oil leak?)
Old 03-29-2020 | 10:03 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Yes you were supposed to replace it. But there's a very low chance of a leak. They always seem to be in very good condition when I replace them. You will know there's a problem if it leaks. Otherwise just replace next time. By the way, you are supposed to lube it with oil, not grease.
Old 03-29-2020 | 12:11 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eastsideguy75
Already installed it today by greasing the ring by hand without removing it. This means the outside is covered. Would this be ok till next change (which would be in 4-5 months)? How would I know if it is not ok (would there be oil leak?)
Its okay, not worry. and I have reused them also..... only with long age would they get cracked which is why you would replace them

Quick Reply: How to lubricate the O-ring