Sponsored by:

Service Warning Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 12:42 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Service Warning Reset?

Recently I had my 991.1 into a local dealer for service. A few days after picking up my car, I noticed this service warning flashing up on the dash for a few seconds every time I start the car. So, it looks like the dealer screwed up and did not re-set my service alarm:

This alarm is doing a steady countdown, and I am guessing that it will flash red when the number of days to service hits zero.

With the corona virus now running rampant, I am reluctant to go back to the dealer to get this reset right now. Is there a way to reset this from home?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:45 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

You need an appropriate scan tool to reset - no way to do it otherwise. I have an iCarSoft Por V2.0, there are others as well.

I'd ask the dealer to allow you to come into the drive-in bay, and have them come do it there - it's a 2 minute job. I'd also ask them for a credit on your next service for the inconvenience!

Wash your hands before and after. Dealer should be placing a cover on the steering wheel and seat as well. Keep 2 metres from anyone. That's about all you can do to stay safe.
The following users liked this post:
Stuey (08-25-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 04:05 PM
TheDogPack
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The only way to reset it is with an OBD tool. I use the icarsoft as well. If you didn't pay for the Maintenance, 10K, 20K interval, they will not reset the maintenance. I had my oil change at the P-dealer and didn't want them to do the 10K maintenance, they made it a point to tell me they wouldn't reset the maintenance reminder.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the info folks.

While I was at the dealer's shop, the service advisor wanted me to have the spark plugs replaced, the air filter replaced, and the brake fluid changed. I explained to them that all those items had been performed on the car within the past year, and less than 3,000 miles ago at another Porsche dealer. I told them that I had the other dealer's receipts to prove it, but I guess they did not believe me.

If the service advisor had just told me to bring the other receipts back to prove it, and they would reset the service warning, I would have been OK with that. As it is, they just kept their mouths shut and sent me on my way to discover this for myself. At first I thought they had just made a mistake by not resetting the service reminder, but now I'm thinking they did this on purpose.

I also see this as a failing by PCNA. When you go to a BMW dealer, they can see any service that was performed for any VIN by any other BMW dealer, but not so with Porsche.

I figured that as long as my 991 is under warranty, I should have a Porsche dealer do the service to make any potential claim easier to handle. But after this, they'll never see any of my cars again. They don't call them "stealers" for nothing.
Stuey (08-25-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
Thanks for the info folks.

While I was at the dealer's shop, the service advisor wanted me to have the spark plugs replaced, the air filter replaced, and the brake fluid changed. I explained to them that all those items had been performed on the car within the past year, and less than 3,000 miles ago at another Porsche dealer. I told them that I had the other dealer's receipts to prove it, but I guess they did not believe me.

If the service advisor had just told me to bring the other receipts back to prove it, and they would reset the service warning, I would have been OK with that. As it is, they just kept their mouths shut and sent me on my way to discover this for myself. At first I thought they had just made a mistake by not resetting the service reminder, but now I'm thinking they did this on purpose.

I also see this as a failing by PCNA. When you go to a BMW dealer, they can see any service that was performed for any VIN by any other BMW dealer, but not so with Porsche.

I figured that as long as my 991 is under warranty, I should have a Porsche dealer do the service to make any potential claim easier to handle. But after this, they'll never see any of my cars again. They don't call them "stealers" for nothing.
Had a dealer forget to reset the computer after an oil change. After calling them on it, I had it reset at another dealer. The GM offered a free service. As I was in the middle of moving, this was not an option. Long story short, I called PNA and explained the situation. They sent me a $500 credit for service.
Stuey (08-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Service Warning Reset?