Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not bird droppings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020 | 12:35 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Default Not bird droppings?

Just thoroughly detailed my 991.2 in Jet Black metallic at home. It has a several blobs which don't really show up much other than in sunlight reflection. They look like the consequence of bird droppings except the car with 8000 miles is a garage queen and has only ever seen the odd hit which I've cleaned off immediately. More especially, they are still shiny to the look and touch, not matted or rough so the lacquer coat is not acid eaten away . They give off a bluey glint.

I thought might be from oil drips off the garage door mechanism but they don't line up at all. They won't polish out, at least not by hand. The car was gtechniq ceramic coated 18 months ago. I can't get any meaningful photos, too much reflection from my detailing! Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2020 | 12:40 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Possible the spots are "under" the Gtech coating that was applied, or a build-up / dropping of same? I found on my GTS while back a stubborn spot on the rear bumper cover, then found out it was under a blotch of the actual coating that apparently was dripped. Took me a long time to notice as my car is White. Just a thought....
Old 03-27-2020 | 12:55 PM
Peter80
Instructor

So would you think they were there prior to coating?
Old 03-28-2020 | 01:00 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter80
So would you think they were there prior to coating?
No way for me to tell honestly but based on your description made me think that either "under" or actually some drops of coating that weren't spread when applied. If possible to take some close-up picks under good lighting we might be able to give you further opinions..... ;-)

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
Peter80 (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020 | 02:57 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Originally Posted by plenum
No way for me to tell honestly but based on your description made me think that either "under" or actually some drops of coating that weren't spread when applied. If possible to take some close-up picks under good lighting we might be able to give you further opinions..... ;-)

Good Luck!
Agree with this. Sounds like marks were either there before coating was applied or are high spots in the coating (improper application/removal). Either way, totally fixable.
The following users liked this post:
Peter80 (03-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Not bird droppings?