Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions? PPF entire bumper or just the rear quarters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020 | 02:55 PM
SConn
Drifting

Default Opinions? PPF entire bumper or just the rear quarters?

So, because I have nothing meaningful to do right now... Just wanted some opinions.

Is it worthwhile to PPF my entire rear bumper or should I just save the money and do the area directly behind the tires (and double the film up along the inside edge)?

Old 03-25-2020 | 03:15 PM
Rennlist Member

I would get a big film that spans from back of door to rear bumper and up the pillar. so there is no lines. Rear bumper doesnt need it.
The following users liked this post:
rwsteelers (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020 | 03:21 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Everything. Front bumper is key. Rear quarter panels are key. Everything is not as critical but really good to have.
Old 03-25-2020 | 03:22 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911.
I would get a big film that spans from back of door to rear bumper and up the pillar. so there is no lines. Rear bumper doesnt need it.
​​​​​​Car already has front hood, bumper, rockers, rear quarters in front of the tires. It also has it on the rear bumper, but the rocks hashed it up pretty good so I'm going to replace it with either the same type of piece, or the entire bumper.

The reason I'm considering the entire bumper is for the service aspect of it. DIY stuff at home, I'll take care not to scratch the bumper... Anything more complicated done at a shop, I know they won't be so careful.

Old 03-25-2020 | 03:29 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
​​​​​​Car already has front hood, bumper, rockers, rear quarters in front of the tires. It also has it on the rear bumper, but the rocks hashed it up pretty good so I'm going to replace it with either the same type of piece, or the entire bumper.

The reason I'm considering the entire bumper is for the service aspect of it. DIY stuff at home, I'll take care not to scratch the bumper... Anything more complicated done at a shop, I know they won't be so careful.

Gotcha, I thought you were looking to get PPF and wanted to just do the rear bumper which isnt as crucial. If you have the money and dont mind the extra expense why not do the entire bumper. I hate lines when an entire panel isnt done. But at the same time, I dont have much rock chips in that area.
Old 03-25-2020 | 03:37 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911.
Gotcha, I thought you were looking to get PPF and wanted to just do the rear bumper which isnt as crucial. If you have the money and dont mind the extra expense why not do the entire bumper. I hate lines when an entire panel isnt done. But at the same time, I dont have much rock chips in that area.
Ya sorry I wasn't more clear
That's exactly what I was thinking too.. I hate the lines as well.
​​​​
Old 03-25-2020 | 04:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Just do by the wheels. Easier to continue replacing over time too. When doing PPF it is easy to do too much when comparing cost to benefit. Cover what you need to and leave the rest.
Old 03-25-2020 | 04:55 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I'm having the entire rear bumper PPF'd this weekend. A few weeks ago I had some paint correction done to it as it was repainted at some point before I owned the car and whoever painted it did a crappy job.

It definitely will help with avoiding scratches when you're removing it for service. It's an unwieldy thing to move around when it's off the car!

Not expensive to wrap. Mine is going to be about $400 Canadian, which is practically free in USD. The film I'm trying has a built-in nano-coating so don't even need to ceramic it after.
Old 03-25-2020 | 05:59 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

I did my whole car 2.5 years ago because I wanted my experience to be as stress free as possible. For example, while I am careful when I wash my car, I can be pretty certain that I am not going to put swirl marks in my car at all. The negative for the rear area is that it costs money and technically is really isn't needed. It will have a tendency to capture some of the carbon coming out of your exhaust in any seam you might have. The other negative is that if I need to replace a piece, it is likely going to larger and more costly. Still worth it for me but YMMV.

Last edited by Wujohn; 03-25-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2020 | 08:17 PM
SConn
Drifting

Lots of good points here. My shop is quoting me $760 to do the entire rear bumper. I live in a fairly small area and I believe this is the only shop in town who does PPF. I'd need to drive 3 hours to a larger city like Portland or Seattle to get a better price, but then I'm out gas, hotel, an amazing dinner, several drinks...lol

I am putting wider rims/tires on soon so that back area is really gonna get hammered. I was thinking about doubling up the area right behind the wheel, which would give me a seam even if I did the entire bumper. Hmmm...

Old 03-25-2020 | 09:34 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Lots of good points here. My shop is quoting me $760 to do the entire rear bumper. I live in a fairly small area and I believe this is the only shop in town who does PPF. I'd need to drive 3 hours to a larger city like Portland or Seattle to get a better price, but then I'm out gas, hotel, an amazing dinner, several drinks...lol

I am putting wider rims/tires on soon so that back area is really gonna get hammered. I was thinking about doubling up the area right behind the wheel, which would give me a seam even if I did the entire bumper. Hmmm...
Well if you just put that piece back there and not the whole bumper, you'd still have a seam one way or the other.
Old 03-25-2020 | 11:29 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Well if you just put that piece back there and not the whole bumper, you'd still have a seam one way or the other.
Yup... I get it. Hence my "hmmmm". Back to figuring out of if wanna spend the $760 or save some $$$ for something else. Now I'm leaning toward not doing the entire bumper.

Quick Reply: Opinions? PPF entire bumper or just the rear quarters?