Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Stage 1 Tune - Who is Safest - APR or COBB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020 | 06:08 PM
texcoversoon
6th Gear

Default 991.2 Stage 1 Tune - Who is Safest - APR or COBB?

Lots of info out there on how both APR and COBB achieve their results. I am only looking for the safest tune. APR seems to mention they run a bunch of sensors over the stock ones to monitor everything for safety. COBB states they utilize the OEM sensors in place.

For someone new to tunes, APR seems like a country mile better in the safety department? From COBB I take that they simply have not been able to figure out how to do what APR did with alternative sensors?

In any event, like to know your comments on what you deem the safer Stage 1 tune and perhaps why.
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (09-22-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 06:43 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

They're both safe, they're both fine, both have advantages, both have disadvantages...

Drive both if you can, decide from there.
Old 03-11-2020 | 06:48 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texcoversoon
Lots of info out there on how both APR and COBB achieve their results. I am only looking for the safest tune. APR seems to mention they run a bunch of sensors over the stock ones to monitor everything for safety. COBB states they utilize the OEM sensors in place.

For someone new to tunes, APR seems like a country mile better in the safety department? From COBB I take that they simply have not been able to figure out how to do what APR did with alternative sensors?

In any event, like to know your comments on what you deem the safer Stage 1 tune and perhaps why.
APR doesn't add sensors.

They developed their tune with a host of sensors during their time spent tuning.

Sounds like above and beyond what you would get on a dyno tune (wide band sensor, maybe some monitoring of fuel pressure with a separate fuel pressure gauge, perhaps intake temp sensor).

I like to imagine that they tune with these extra sensors because they are using the information gained from them during the tuning process.

But remember, our cars rely on their own sensors and make adjustments on the fly to account for minor variations all the time.

FWIW, I am waiting for the APR GTS tune, and hoping they have a mechanism to upload their tune and return back to stock without going to a dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by thesaintusa:
GT3FZS (03-13-2020), polobai (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 06:53 PM
Rennlist Member

Stage 1 is like the difference from normal to sport+ in terms of power from what I have read. Meaning its not going to do anything thus either tuner is fine. Personally I wouldnt even tune it for just stage one unless you have intentions to go stage 2 or more in the future.
Old 03-11-2020 | 06:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
They're both safe, they're both fine, both have advantages, both have disadvantages...

Drive both if you can, decide from there.
This is the correct answer.
Old 03-11-2020 | 08:23 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

me personally, I would go with APR or GIAC. Most dealers offer the GIAC tune, if that makes you feel better. That’s just me from past experience. COBB is pretty damn good too.
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:38 PM
Jartin
Intermediate

The safest tune would probably be JB4, or another piggyback since they only intercept signals between the engine sensors and the ECU to trick the engine into producing more power.
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:43 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by Jartin
The safest tune would probably be JB4, or another piggyback since they only intercept signals between the engine sensors and the ECU to trick the engine into producing more power.
What you have described is the opposite of safe.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cheshi143:
Bulldawgfan1000 (09-22-2020), Carlo_Carrera (03-12-2020), Jeahbladejeah (03-12-2020), RexII (03-19-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:44 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by texcoversoon

I have run both the Cobb AP V2 V4 and V6. Now I run APR. I prefer the APR programming. I would never go back to the AP.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (03-13-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
Stage 1 is like the difference from normal to sport+ in terms of power from what I have read. Meaning its not going to do anything thus either tuner is fine. Personally I wouldnt even tune it for just stage one unless you have intentions to go stage 2 or more in the future.
Why? I installed the Stage 1 Cobb tune on my 2019 GTS and I am reluctant to install the Stage 2 tune since I feel the extra oomph is enough for me. I love the way it pushes me back in the seat more easily when passing and I do not feel the need to stress the engine any more than is needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Charles Everson (08-24-2023), GT3FZS (03-13-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:54 PM
Jartin
Intermediate

I described the function of a piggyback tune poorly. If you want to read more about how they work, feel free to read the product description from their website, linked below. I didn't want to simply copy and paste the description from the JB4 website for my original comment.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...rrera-jb4-tune
Old 03-12-2020 | 12:35 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
true for a 991.1, not so for a 991.2. You extract a lot more HP and TQ with the forced induction cars.
Old 03-12-2020 | 12:44 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ991
me personally, I would go with APR or GIAC. Most dealers offer the GIAC tune, if that makes you feel better. That’s just me from past experience. COBB is pretty damn good too.
which dealers offer the GIAC tune? Does anyone know of any dealers in New England that offer tunes?
Old 03-12-2020 | 12:57 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

My two local dealers do, Paul Miller and Jack Daniels. Talking to Paul Miller, they made it sound like a lot of dealers across the US sell the GIAC tune, similar to how BMW would offer the Dinan tunes from dealers, before they started selling their own tune upgrades. Call your local dealer and ask if they offer a tune and if they say yes, I’m sure it’ll be from GIAC.
Old 03-12-2020 | 01:04 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Also, so everyone understands how it works, Porsche NA has nothing to do with your car if the tune causes some sort of issue. The dealer will honor your warranty, but what a lot of dealers do, is work through Champion Porsche. Example. You tune your car by your local Porsche dealer. Couple weeks later, something breaks, which could be a direct result of the tune, they then contact Champion, and get their parts, and charge back costs to Champion. To the customers, it’s seamless. You get your car repaired, no cost to you. The dealer works it out with Champion. This is exactly how Paul Miller does it, right from the GM’s mouth to my ears. I was talking to him about how that would work, and he clearly explained it. I’ve bought a few cars from Paul Miller, and they have always been cool working with my modded cars, although most have been Audi’s. It’s all about the local dealer.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Stage 1 Tune - Who is Safest - APR or COBB?