Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 7MT grinding into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 08:11 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I reported it when I took it in for service, I had my SA have a mechanic test drive, they said they didn't notice it, but I had my SA keep that information under record that I have complaints about the notchiness or grinding feeling that I feel sometimes when shifting 1/2 or once in a blue moon 2/3. I wanted it recorded for future warranty purposes that this was noticed since said date. Anything that happens in future it's already in Porsche system record of the issue I've reported.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:19 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
I reported it when I took it in for service, I had my SA have a mechanic test drive, they said they didn't notice it, but I had my SA keep that information under record that I have complaints about the notchiness or grinding feeling that I feel sometimes when shifting 1/2 or once in a blue moon 2/3. I wanted it recorded for future warranty purposes that this was noticed since said date. Anything that happens in future it's already in Porsche system record of the issue I've reported.
But it was documented that it didn’t happen by the tech. I would recommended taking the shop foreman or the tech for a drive and reproducing it for them. Then they know exactly what you’re talking about and they can t say that they couldn’t reproduce it.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Curious if you have an update to this? I recently grinded a 2-3rd and 4th to 3rd shift (2 days apart). While i really cant rule myself out of the equation, it would be out of character for me (lots of MT experience).
Both times happened at 6k+ RPM. I did recently add numeric cables / shifter, but if that was the cause, id imagine it would happen more often and be less RPM dependent, no?

The clutch in my car seems to have a pretty low engagement point, so i moved my seat up a bit and also 'slowed' my shifts down a bit.
It hasn't happened sense, but i do find it abit harder to upshift at a high RPM 'slowly' singe the revs drop so quick.

My car only has 36k on it, but its 8 years old, so im thinking of changing the MT fluid to Motul for good measure.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 08-19-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:16 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update - I finally received the car back from the dealer. They installed a new clutch and greased the shift cables.

I put 500 miles on the car to break the clutch in, and so far so good. At this point I've shifted into second at least 20 times, and there was only a grind once. However, the one time it did grind might have been due to driver error (I don't think I had the clutch pedal 100% to the floor).

I'm still skeptical, since a clutch shouldn't cause this issue unless it were dragging.

The odd thing is that they said my old clutch still looked new. It never once slipped or gave me any indication that there was an issue with it.

So the problem may be solved?? I will report back soon.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:33 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by circuiticon
Update - I finally received the car back from the dealer. They installed a new clutch and greased the shift cables.

I put 500 miles on the car to break the clutch in, and so far so good. At this point I've shifted into second at least 20 times, and there was only a grind once. However, the one time it did grind might have been due to driver error (I don't think I had the clutch pedal 100% to the floor).

I'm still skeptical, since a clutch shouldn't cause this issue unless it were dragging.

The odd thing is that they said my old clutch still looked new. It never once slipped or gave me any indication that there was an issue with it.

So the problem may be solved?? I will report back soon.
Thanks for the update. Ive really focused on my clutch / shifting and it hasnt happened since. I think i was just trying to go into 3rd too quickly, honestly.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:39 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not alone: I am having a similar issue with 2nd gear on my '19 T with 10K miles. Planning to have the dealer review it during the next service.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:54 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

The grind has a lot to do with the load in the gearbox at the point of the shift. If load is increasing at the point the shift is initiated I’ve never had a grind. I have had many grinds in Caymans and 911s if you are minimizing the load at the point of the shift or essentially are under decreasing load. Gearboxes are designed where load is present, and usually increasing, at shift points. Decreasing load is at a point you wouldn’t normally be up shifting but sometimes driving conditions causes the load to disappear at the point you’re shifting (I.e. traffic or undulations for example). Try also not to shift at the point torque decreases or stumbles in the rpm range. I found in my Cayman R I could get grinds if I shifted at a certain rpm and especially if not accelerating at the point of the shift.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 08-27-2020 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JYT (06-08-2021)
Old 08-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

I can shift without using the clutch and not grind. Not something I would recommend though.
I've only done it as a demonstration to my son, he was asking about clutches and how they work/why we need them.
I told him we only really need them for starting on a non-negative grade.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:55 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Onad
You're not alone: I am having a similar issue with 2nd gear on my '19 T with 10K miles. Planning to have the dealer review it during the next service.
exact same situation. ‘19 T with 9900 miles. Since new, had a dozen or so 1to2 grinds. Following.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:22 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

I started a thread about mine grinding into third. It's a 17 4Gts with 55k miles, CPO. It happens multiple times on hard drives, dealer couldn't and still can't reproduce. I've changed shift habits, still the same. I'm going to change the fluid to see if that changes anything.

VW, the fluid was similar 75W90. I switched to GM synchromesh in my cars (not the 991) and the issues resolved themselves. Issues of grinding and such, but really really high miles (>250k). I doubt I'll go the synchromesh route on this, but maybe a different brand like, Amsoil or redline.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:49 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you expand on that? Would love to know details (when you would use that and benefits etc) and learn.

Originally Posted by Catharpin
I can shift without using the clutch and not grind. Not something I would recommend though.
I've only done it as a demonstration to my son, he was asking about clutches and how they work/why we need them.
I told him we only really need them for starting on a non-negative grade.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JYT
Can you expand on that? Would love to know details (when you would use that and benefits etc) and learn.
Basically you use the clutch to take off. Each gear from there, you would need to be able to brings the revs high enough to let the next gear match smoothly enough while falling and not using your clutch. It will shift smoothly if done right. Technically you dont need the clutch to shift like this.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I know it's not the same car, but I had significant grinding issues on my 991.1 S. However, I had the transmission replaced as the 991.1 has a flaw where the reverse lights stop functioning, necessitating the replacement of the entire transmission. I'm about 1,500 km into the new transmission and have never experienced any grinding, which leads me to believe it was likely worn synchros.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:14 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Just to clarify, isn’t the “grinding” issue is from the syncros? Aren’t the forward gears on these transmissions always meshed and the synchros couple them to the shaft during gear selection?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by JYT
It's not something you should do, but something you can do. If the revs match there is no need for a clutch, except to get going from a stop. It's how transmissions work. Not recommended and there is no benefit, I only did it as a demonstration when asked by a 10 year old about the need for a clutch.
The following users liked this post:
JYT (06-13-2021)

Quick Reply: 991.2 7MT grinding into 2nd gear