Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Shifter base rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020 | 11:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Default PDK Shifter base rattle?

I've been steadily eliminating rattle and creaks from the interior of my '18 991 Turbo S since the day I got it. Dealer has been great, so no complaints there. But every time we fix the loudest one, the next loudest becomes more noticeable. I'm down to a few very small vibration sounds over rough roads. With the help of my wife, I found the loudest of the remaining noises today (yippee!!!). Over rough roads, only sometimes, the silver base-plate for the PDK shifter will vibrate and make noise. After my wife found it, I can stop it every time by pressing on the plate. Anyone else have this? The car is under warranty, so I could take it in to fix, but reproducing it on a test drive might be tough. Not sure how hard it is to get under that plate, but I'm tempted to put a little Krytox under it to cushion it and stop the vibration. I'm just not sure what's under there, how hard it is to get to, etc. Thoughts?

Old 02-23-2020 | 11:37 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

There is a DIY on how to swap out the plastic part and replace it with a leather, MT-style base. It would be great to hear about what rattles you have had (it sounds like many!) and what your fix was for them. I have rattles all over my GTS cab. I am resigned to the fact that the cab mechanism will always rattle (although it varies in how much it rattles). The other rattles, within the interior, though, are driving me nuts. Both seat belt components rattle, something on the driver's side dash is now rattling and I have had others. I love my GTS but it has been a rattle generator from day one. I can't remember the name of the thread that has the DIY for removing the center console in order to get to the plastic piece. As I recall, the hardest part for me was getting the surrounding leather (plastic) piece out. It took some serious pulling.
Old 02-24-2020 | 12:49 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had a few rattles in my GTS coupe. I shot a few videos showing the rattle and then showing that pressure resolved the rattles. The shop foreman and I took the car for a drive and he was happy to see the vid even though we reproduced the rattles a bit. They forward the videos to Porsche. Maybe for justification of warranty work and maybe for quality control,
Old 02-24-2020 | 06:40 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Here is post on how to remove the trim - it is easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1106...stalled-2.html

If you don't want to do that, try spraying some WD40 or other lubricant on it or on a QTip then then rub along the edges of the plate that moves and see if that helps.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020 | 01:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
There is a DIY on how to swap out the plastic part and replace it with a leather, MT-style base. It would be great to hear about what rattles you have had (it sounds like many!) and what your fix was for them. I have rattles all over my GTS cab. I am resigned to the fact that the cab mechanism will always rattle (although it varies in how much it rattles). The other rattles, within the interior, though, are driving me nuts. Both seat belt components rattle, something on the driver's side dash is now rattling and I have had others. I love my GTS but it has been a rattle generator from day one. I can't remember the name of the thread that has the DIY for removing the center console in order to get to the plastic piece. As I recall, the hardest part for me was getting the surrounding leather (plastic) piece out. It took some serious pulling.
The worst one was the rear panel that surrounds the anchor post for the rear folding seat. See video below. Both sides did creaked and squeaked like crazy. Took a while to find it, and then fixed one side by adding felt under the post to press harder on the panel, then we did the same on the other side. That helped a lot, but didn't fix it in all circumstances, so eventually the dealer took the panels off, and used Krytox and felt to really fix it. That took months all-in, and several trips to the dealer. (And one dealer trip to my house!) The levers for the front seats (to fold the seat forward) were then the next most noticeable thing, which the dealer fixed with Krytox in the mechanism. I've been hunting for this latest one for a while, which turned out to be the PDK shifter plate. I'll do more road testing, but think there is another subtle vibration/buzz that I am hoping is the battery cover under the frunk, which seems to be common and consistent with what I'm hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZXs...ature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by Jack F
I had a few rattles in my GTS coupe. I shot a few videos showing the rattle and then showing that pressure resolved the rattles. The shop foreman and I took the car for a drive and he was happy to see the vid even though we reproduced the rattles a bit. They forward the videos to Porsche. Maybe for justification of warranty work and maybe for quality control,
Did your shifter plate rattle you mean, or was yours rattling elsewhere? Trying to figure out if the shifter plate is a common rattle and, if so, if there is a common fix.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Here is post on how to remove the trim - it is easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1106...stalled-2.html

If you don't want to do that, try spraying some WD40 or other lubricant on it or on a QTip then then rub along the edges of the plate that moves and see if that helps.
Yeah, I'm not sure I have the stomach to tear panels apart like that. Thanks for that link though -- super helpful, and I kind of like the leather boot idea.

Anyone know what's under that sliding plate at the base of the PDK shifter? Does it slide on top of another piece of stationary plastic?
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (02-24-2020)

Quick Reply: PDK Shifter base rattle?