Sponsored by:

Regular Car Reviews....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 07:28 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 292 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Regular Car Reviews....

I just looked at RCR's twitter page...... I guess we all know whats coming tomorrow.....

Old 02-03-2020, 09:05 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

The video is up...
Old 02-03-2020, 09:53 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't get the all wheel drive 911 thing. Based on the limitations of clearance, you're basically talking about the ability to drive in a couple inches of snow, which you can do in a rear drive 911 with ease. I drive all my rear drive cars during Northeast winters.

The all wheel drive guys talk about slides, launches, dynamics in snow. Precisely the same behavior rear drive 911 drivers chase on dry ground. Essentially swapping classic 911 experiences and car control typically sought in warm months, for experiencing those things in lower traction lower threshold conditions, which I guess makes sense if you have limited ability. But it's a trade off indeed because the front driven cars simply don't handle or steer the same in dry. It takes a 10 on the fun scale and drops it to an Audi 6.

I live on a steep long driveway which when snowy can send rear drive cars sliding backward hundreds of feet. Even considering that I would never want a 4 911. To each their own I guess.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

Wholly agree - the fun factor of a RWD 911 is unmatchable!

Originally Posted by Ceepe
I don't get the all wheel drive 911 thing. Based on the limitations of clearance, you're basically talking about the ability to drive in a couple inches of snow, which you can do in a rear drive 911 with ease. I drive all my rear drive cars during Northeast winters.

The all wheel drive guys talk about slides, launches, dynamics in snow. Precisely the same behavior rear drive 911 drivers chase on dry ground. Essentially swapping classic 911 experiences and car control typically sought in warm months, for experiencing those things in lower traction lower threshold conditions, which I guess makes sense if you have limited ability. But it's a trade off indeed because the front driven cars simply don't handle or steer the same in dry. It takes a 10 on the fun scale and drops it to an Audi 6.

I live on a steep long driveway which when snowy can send rear drive cars sliding backward hundreds of feet. Even considering that I would never want a 4 911. To each their own I guess.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I wanted a Targa, which only come in AWD so I did not have a choice! But I do like the feeling when driving aggressively, especially with RAS.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:40 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

It takes a 10 on the fun scale and drops it to an Audi 6.
that's not exaggerating at all lol.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:07 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

I almost went with a 5. I'm into weight transfer, settling the rear through maintenance throttle, tucking into the line with throttle lift, trail braking, managing understeer to enter a turn and managing over steer mid turn. All that goes out the window when the front wheels drive. But if you straight line drivers like the launch, all power to ya.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:30 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

I almost went with a 5. I'm into weight transfer, settling the rear through maintenance throttle, tucking into the line with throttle lift, trail braking, managing understeer to enter a turn and managing over steer mid turn. All that goes out the window when the front wheels drive. But if you straight line drivers like the launch, all power to ya.
Coming from a lifetime of Audi's I still wanted some vague level of familiarity. The juvenile delinquent in me still loves to punch it once in a while no matter the conditions.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:13 AM
Fcassells
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 91 Posts

Come experience life in the Pacific Northwest, the constant rainfall and downtown traffic make AWD an emotional requirement. Y’all can keep your fancy weight transfer , I wanna get across the intersection before that Prius does. 🙂
The following 4 users liked this post by Fcassells:
Breitling747 (02-04-2020), chekraze (02-05-2020), rockrdude (02-04-2020), SB27 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:26 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 572 Posts

Many years ago, I lived in Alaska, and had a 964 C4 as a DD. That car spent half of each year on studded winter tires, and the AWD earned its keep. I could get through snow a bit deeper than the height of the floor when necessary (or fun), probably not possible with RWD. On the other hand, the steering and handling balance was a bit compromised compared to a friend's C2.

I do realize that AWD helps mostly in getting going in snow, maybe a little bit in turning, and not at all in braking.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:46 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds awesome! You should post some video!

I’m sure most owners won’t get anywhere near the limits of the 991 (at least on public roads). I usually save it for the track, but that’s in my 981. On public roads I love the AWD, no real compromises and lots more stability in low traction environments.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Lol. Don't make fun of me...I meant in a mixed use track sometimes sense.
I do have some noobish yellow run group lime rock clips, in .1 GT3's though.
The following users liked this post:
NightBlueTTS (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 07:59 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Lol. Don't make fun of me...I meant in a mixed use track sometimes sense.
I do have some noobish yellow run group lime rock clips, in .1 GT3's though.
https://youtu.be/AVg57JVC6Tc
Love it! Lime Rock is sort of my home track, can’t wait for the season to kick off!! This year I will have some more goodies from Tarett:

Quick Reply: Regular Car Reviews....