Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PEC/Demo Cars - 2nd/3rd Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020 | 12:09 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Default PEC/Demo Cars - 2nd/3rd Owners?

I know PEC demos and press cars are always looked down on, especially for the first buyer. But if you're okay with the car's history, big discounts can be had.

What about the 2nd and 3rd owners? Would you still concerned about the car's history if the 1st owner put a lot miles on the car with well documented service?
Old 01-20-2020 | 02:30 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Not sure if I agree they are looked down upon. I just picked up a 2018 C4S. Only 2K miles. Car is in great condition. I'll be the first "official" owner. Spent most of its time at a dealer used by the GM I believe. Not really worried about resale. Other than the fact that the warranty already started I don't see any huge negatives.
Old 01-20-2020 | 02:31 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I would really like to hear someone from one of the Porsche Experience Centers on how they take care of their cars.

For me even as the 1st owner, who is a high milage driver of their cars, if everything lines up (Well maintained, Options wanted, Price and CPO'ed) I would not mind buying one of their cars.

Old 01-20-2020 | 08:01 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

I've driven at the PEC Atlanta once and the PTX Birmingham twice, will be there again in May.

I can tell you the cars are well-maintained, the liability for not doing so is just not acceptable, they have on-site techs and will pull a car off-line at the first sign of an issue, from observed experience.

The cars are driven hard, a set of tires last 300 miles at Atlanta, the PTX cars leave chunks of tire rubber all over the course. In the summer, at PTX, the cars are run at track speeds with the a/c on, the cars are driven by different drivers under varying weather conditions, hard braking and acceleration, skid pads, autocross and hard launches.

Some of these cars had 10k+ miles of track time, GTS models, and were due for replacements by 992s. Would you want to own one of these after "retirement"?

These are different from "executive " dealer cars, you could maybe get some deals, but these are used cars no matter what they say, so price in that condition when haggling.

Last edited by BSO; 01-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2020 | 10:26 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wbrownie
Not sure if I agree they are looked down upon. I just picked up a 2018 C4S. Only 2K miles. Car is in great condition. I'll be the first "official" owner. Spent most of its time at a dealer used by the GM I believe. Not really worried about resale. Other than the fact that the warranty already started I don't see any huge negatives.
GM driving your car and PEC car are in different leagues.
Old 01-20-2020 | 11:13 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack F
GM driving your car and PEC car are in different leagues.
Exactly. I feel as the first owner you take some risk on these cars. But it’s not like these cars are fragile either.

Down the road, after they have been run-in for an additional 10-20k miles and you’re going to be the 2nd or 3rd owner. Would you care?

Old 01-21-2020 | 09:26 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default 1000 launches

Continuous WOT, ineperienced drivers on a track, what could possible go wrong ? Throw in 2 more owners and how could that help or change the origin ?

Quick Reply: PEC/Demo Cars - 2nd/3rd Owners?