Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A shout-out for the PDK transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:05 PM
wongck
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Plebs like me can only afford one 911, so I just have to drive manual despite how bad traffic gets...
The following users liked this post:
S S (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 07:51 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig N
This is a timely thread for me...I'm actively in the market for a 991.2 and had my sights on PDK. Then the other day, to my surprise, my wife said if I got stick she'd drive it all the time. This is the same wife who has been poo-pooing me getting a 911 forever. So the question for this group is, do you think a PDK in manual mode would give my wife the manual experience fix she craves? This car will be somewhere between a DD and a weekend car - i.e. won't have to do crazy rushhour commutes, but will run around in it as much as I can during the week. Thanks all!
Of course it won't. Those arguing it will are delusional. I've driven both. The intimate coordination of both feet and hands, the attention required to the road and engine, the ability to manually rev matchi and heal-toe are all lost.

PS I like your wife. Listen to her. Ignore her at your peril.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueNorther:
Guaji (11-28-2019), Meeper (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Of course it won't. Those arguing it will are delusional. I've driven both. The intimate coordination of both feet and hands, the attention required to the road and engine, the ability to manually rev matchi and heal-toe are all lost.

PS I like your wife. Listen to her. Ignore her at your peril.
About five years ago I was given a 911 with PDK when I had my car serviced. The dealer is about 45 minutes from my house. I initially loved PDK , but by the time I got home I was bored with the transmission. I must admit that if I took a PDK Porsche for a short test drive, I most likely would have ordered one but the 45 minute drive saved me from making a mistake. OTOH if I drove a Porsche regularly in stop and go traffic, I'd certainly order PDK. Fortunately I live in the country, and a MT is the easy choice for me.

Quick Reply: A shout-out for the PDK transmission