Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019 | 09:30 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Default Canadian extended warranty

My car’s original warranty is soon up for renewal and I’m debating between PCO extension or go with iA.

http://iasal.ca/sites/default/files/...Brochure_0.pdf

1. Does anyone have experience with iA?

2. Do we have other options in Canada?
Old 10-23-2019 | 11:32 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I had a quote from A-Protect Warranty. They were $2,799 CAD for 3 years with the option to renew for $199 after 3 years if you haven't used any coverage.

That was their "luxury plus" bundle. http://www.a-protectwarranty.com/

The deal-breaker for me with A-Protect is that they require you to send them proof of all servicing, and you can't DIY. So, now my $80 oil change is $350 at the dealer. Not sure if it's worth it. And then, reading the fine print of these warranties, I'm not so convinced that they're going to look after the common issues we see on these cars.
Old 10-23-2019 | 12:28 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by koala
I had a quote from A-Protect Warranty. They were $2,799 CAD for 3 years with the option to renew for $199 after 3 years if you haven't used any coverage.

That was their "luxury plus" bundle. http://www.a-protectwarranty.com/

The deal-breaker for me with A-Protect is that they require you to send them proof of all servicing, and you can't DIY. So, now my $80 oil change is $350 at the dealer. Not sure if it's worth it. And then, reading the fine print of these warranties, I'm not so convinced that they're going to look after the common issues we see on these cars.
I see. If they accept service history form reputable independent shops, I’m ok with that but if they force to go to the dealer then it’s a deal breaker.

Even the CPO extended warranty allows for some DIY. I buy the filter from them, do the oil change and they charge me 15 minutes to reset the service reminder.

For me that’s cool.

It’s starting to look more like I’ll be extending with Porsche.
Old 10-23-2019 | 12:45 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZerOG
I see. If they accept service history form reputable independent shops, I’m ok with that but if they force to go to the dealer then it’s a deal breaker.

Even the CPO extended warranty allows for some DIY. I buy the filter from them, do the oil change and they charge me 15 minutes to reset the service reminder.

For me that’s cool.

It’s starting to look more like I’ll be extending with Porsche.
CPO has it's own drawbacks as well. I was not able to successfully have anything covered under CPO during my 2 years of coverage. Here in Canada, we're not treated as equitably as they are in the US as they know the dealers have such a monopoly over their local markets. I posted PCNA's reply to me in the failed transmission thread, it was enough of a BS reply that I'd never buy another Porsche unless it's well past warranty as I know their warranty is virtually useless.

As with anything, YMMV. I would hope my horrible experiences with Porsche are not typical, even here in Canada, where there is certainly more evidence of unfair treatment.

Quick Reply: Canadian extended warranty