Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto working on PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 05:44 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Android Auto working on 991.1 (PCM 3.1)

I ordered the kit from Naviplus (cheaper to do directly than on ebay) and it arrived in less than a week. Installing the ribbon cables inside the PCM was honestly the easiest part of the job. Audio gets piped in through Aux through a plug and play harness, you have to insert a plug into your actual aux input to complete the circuit to get sound. I have it assembled and working, and so far it's great. Android Auto and Carplay work fine without multitouch. Hardest part will be to figure out how to fit all the modules back in the dash.The components are all Korean made which is a pleasant surprise since I assumed everything was the same Chinese stuff from aliexpress.
Some notes that weren't well covered in the directions.
  • Instructions say connect the ribbon cables to the motherboard before you connect them to the LCD. I found it easier to connect them to the LCD first.
  • When you put in the new ribbon cables, plug the PCM back into the car without the extra harness and confirm the buttons, touchscreen, and display all work. If so, then you installed them properly.
  • There are a pair of male/female RCA connectors. Just plug them into each other. Set your car to Aux to get audio from Android Auto, which comes in through USB. In theory it should be higher fidelity than the bluetooth streaming which is basic A2DP and not hd or aptx.
  • There's an IR receiver and remote control. These are for configuration only and I actually didn't need to use them at all.
  • There is a separate USB jack on the end of a cable coming from the harness. You have an option to rewire your existing PCM USB jack but since it's basically invisible, I wouldn't bother because it would disable your ability to apply software updates to your PCM or connect your iphone directly.
  • Don’t bother pairing your phone to the bluetooth on the module. Phone calls work fine via the car’s bluetooth with the Android Auto interface and everything.
  • The module also supports Carplay which I don't care about. I'll plug in an iphone just to make sure it works.
  • I would recommend getting a glass screen protector because the PCM 3.1 display is a resistive touchscreen with a plastic membrane. Since you’ll be touching and swiping more, may as well protect the screen.

So far I'm pretty happy. Will post an update when I get it all placed in the dash.

Last edited by osunick; 10-19-2019 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

wow....what are its features ???
Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by CLeagones
wow....what are its features ???
All the standard Android Auto ones. Supports most audio apps, waze and Google maps,.doesn't block your phone screen when in use. I prefer the UI to Carplay. More usable and Google keeps refining it.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:20 PM
hobbs
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a link to the product? I would love to get one.
The following users liked this post:
Bill_76 (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 PM
osunick
Racer

Site appears down but here it is: https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-s...kage-p91428805
Old 10-19-2019, 05:04 PM
osunick
Racer

Tested CarPlay on an iOS 13 device. Seems to work fine as well.

Quick Reply: Android Auto working on PCM 3.1