Sponsored by:

Epic 12,000 mile, 7 Week Road Trip in 991.2 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiBlues
Oof. How long did that lay you up for? I did the same to my 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo in Colorado heading up into the mountains, but it turned out there was a piece of debris which had damaged the radiator so I got a new engine covered by insurance. Unfortunately, it took the dealer a week to repair the radiator and they never realized the head gasket was blown until I got in it for 30 seconds and realized the car had about 100 horsepower. So I took it back and insurance eventually paid for the whole thing, I put in a used engine with about the same mileage and made $5,000 off the deal.
It was four days. This little local auto repair shop dialed it in for me. I was amazed.

BTW - I love Miami Blue. If I could still order another 991.2 I would have ordered that. My lease is coming due in November so I just bought it. I am now thinking about a wrap but not sure. I am researching it and trying to form an opinion. My GT silver is beautiful, but your photos says it all for me. These cars look great with some color, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
MiamiBlues (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:05 PM
MiamiBlues
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
It was four days. This little local auto repair shop dialed it in for me. I was amazed.

BTW - I love Miami Blue. If I could still order another 991.2 I would have ordered that. My lease is coming due in November so I just bought it. I am now thinking about a wrap but not sure. I am researching it and trying to form an opinion. My GT silver is beautiful, but your photos says it all for me. These cars look great with some color, IMO.
Yeah for whatever reason, Miami Blue doesn't show up very well in a lot of pictures. Some of these were taken by my brother who takes pictures for dealerships, and he was able to capture it. But my phone kind of washes it out and you don't see the green at all--if you compare the screen on my phone to what the eyes see it's different.

It definitely gets a lot more attention in person I think, so be prepared for that. One guy in Portland jumped out of his car at a light and sprinted up to me saying it was the best color he'd ever seen. Plus it's not a total cop magnet--the eye isn't drawn to it from a half mile away the way red or yellow is. I love special colored blue cars, had a Laguna Seca Blue M3 and a Long Beach Blue M2 before this, so it was perfect for me.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:07 PM
MiamiBlues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
Nice trip and apologies for our inhospitable cops here in Canada. Only $52 for the radar detector fine in Ontario, I thought it was a lot more! Cops in Ontario have the ability to confiscate and dispose of radar detectors as well, that's what would happen to us locals anyway.
I guess I was unclear, I got the speeding ticket I think it was 109 in an 80 because I didn't have the radar detector up. And even that guy was extremely friendly, my wife and I found the Canadian cops and people in general to be much cooler and more professional than the American cops I've found. Also, I highly recommend the Honoring Veterans license plate if you live in CA or your state has similar. Supports a great cause and makes police a lot friendlier.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiBlues
Yeah for whatever reason, Miami Blue doesn't show up very well in a lot of pictures. Some of these were taken by my brother who takes pictures for dealerships, and he was able to capture it. But my phone kind of washes it out and you don't see the green at all--if you compare the screen on my phone to what the eyes see it's different.

It definitely gets a lot more attention in person I think, so be prepared for that. One guy in Portland jumped out of his car at a light and sprinted up to me saying it was the best color he'd ever seen. Plus it's not a total cop magnet--the eye isn't drawn to it from a half mile away the way red or yellow is. I love special colored blue cars, had a Laguna Seca Blue M3 and a Long Beach Blue M2 before this, so it was perfect for me.
Laguna Seca Blue - another amazing color - I lusted after an M3 vert in that color but never pulled the trigger.
MiamiBlues (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM
MiamiBlues
Intermediate

I read Laguna Seca Blue is back on the outdoing M3/M4 but in some special edition so they're only doing like 75 of them. Plus, no longer really a fan of those cars. Maybe BMW will improve with the new version in a couple years.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 139 Posts

Your epic road trip has me pumped for my first little multi day road trip since temporarily relocating to SoCal for work. I’m planning mine for the end of October. Big Sur, Yosemite and Sequoia National Forest. I took the transfer just to be able to discover many places out west on my bucket list. Would love to drive up to Vancouver then east to Alberta and south thru Montana. I’m trying to make the most of having my 911 out here while I can.
MiamiBlues (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Great stuff, thanks for sharing the whole album!
How did you deal with a CL wheels on such a long trip? Did you equip yourself with all the tools to deal with a tire puncture, if any?
Also any packing tips would be appreciated.
MiamiBlues (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM
MiamiBlues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guaji
Your epic road trip has me pumped for my first little multi day road trip since temporarily relocating to SoCal for work. I’m planning mine for the end of October. Big Sur, Yosemite and Sequoia National Forest. I took the transfer just to be able to discover many places out west on my bucket list. Would love to drive up to Vancouver then east to Alberta and south thru Montana. I’m trying to make the most of having my 911 out here while I can.
That sounds like a fantastic trip. I find in CA the underrated roads are the ones that go East-West connecting the 1, the 101, and the 5 because few people are on them. Near Big Sur, Nacamiento/Ferguson road East from the 1 to the 101 is crazy, it's almost too narrow and windy for fast driving though.

CA 58 from Santa Margarita to McKittrick is great.

And if you can get up North, CA 36 from Hydesville to Wildwood is also excellent.

I'd also definitely put Death Valley and the roads around there on your list.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 PM
MiamiBlues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Great stuff, thanks for sharing the whole album!
How did you deal with a CL wheels on such a long trip? Did you equip yourself with all the tools to deal with a tire puncture, if any?
Also any packing tips would be appreciated.
CL wheels, I just bought the ~$480 breaker bar from Suncoast in case I encountered a flat and the shop in the middle of nowhere didn't have the ability to take off the wheel. Got a flat on Vancouver Island and the tire shop was able to take off the breaker bar. I tried using the stock sealant and inflator to patch it up but the sidewall was totally destroyed so had to get a tow. Fortunately there was a car rental place right across the street so we just continued our trip to Vancouver while we waited for the new tire and then I took the ferry back there a couple days later to pick up the car.

Packing tips: If you don't have the custom fit luggage, I went with one big suitcase that took up all of the frunk, then 2 backpacks that I put in the rear seats, and then folded the seats down and put 2 carry-on (but thicker) sized bags on top of the folded down rear seats. Some stuff can go on the rear parcel shelf too but your bags in the rear have to be tall enough that the parcel shelf stuff won't slide forward under hard breaking. Also make sure that whatever you put back there is dark colored because otherwise the reflection will be annoying. Biggest advice I can give is make sure you put everything you need inside of a large bag. You're pressed for space, so anything loose or smaller than a backpack you'll just constantly be trying to find a place for. (I attempted to impart this idea to my wife with only partial success, haha.)

Also, make sure you get a water bottle that is thin enough at the bottom to fit in the cup holders, or get one of those console cup holders to fit a larger bottle. Again, having stuff loose around the cabin is very annoying when trying to do some fun driving.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:45 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip....
MiamiBlues (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
Pay attention to the weather. Many of the places you want to visit can get significant amounts of snow as early as late October.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Great trip, great pictures! Boring drive between here (Calgary) and Winnipeg tho, EH?
MiamiBlues (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Amazing pictures and trip. We should all aspire to get even remotely close to your experience!
MiamiBlues (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
Pay attention to the weather. Many of the places you want to visit can get significant amounts of snow as early as late October.
Thank you for the heads up. I will definitely keep an eye on the forecast and adjust accordingly if needed.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:01 PM
PJK3
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Epic trip! Thanks for sharing - now I have a new bucket list item!

And what's w/ the red Prius boxing you in behind the black truck? Did he nudge your bumper?

Quick Reply: Epic 12,000 mile, 7 Week Road Trip in 991.2 4 GTS