Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who are the best 991.2 Tuners (objective info inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by eysa
I'm running the Cobb OTS stage 2 91 octane with sport cats and filters. No issues so far and the car is a rocket but i'm definitely taking it to Sam for a custom tune. With that said i'm pretty sure he has Mitch do the custom tunes.
This correct.

The Cobb tunes are almost all based of RL member "reacher"s car.. For the GTS at least. If you have a California/AZ/Southwest USA car, your OTS Cobb tune is fine but conservative.

Few have had an "issue" with Mitch's tune but that's due to Mitch extracting so much power and the Porsche 991.2 ECU is tough to fool. There are hidden parameters within hidden parameters.. Like the movie inception. It's clear Porsche did not want us cracking and tuning their ECU's.

With that said, I'm fairly certain that Mitch delivers the strongest tune available on stock turbos. PTS and I have put down some of the best stock turbo dragy results I've seen. His car is a heavier targa and my car is a loaded RWD coupe which weighs 3395-3405 pounds at high altitude with huge DA. Last I spoke with Mitch, he said they were developing a full E85 map for our cars which will be bananas!

At this time, I'm not sure if PTS is still having the power surge at high RPM. My car showed this behavior once but Mitch was able to map it out... Given PTS' low altitude and low DA, I'm sure his engine has a higher output than mine. Would be interesting to see how my car would behave if it were located in CT.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

I can chime in briefly here as I have been on the Cobb OTS tune for some time now through various versions; and suffered (in silence till recently) from the same stumbling / surging issues.

1.01 - first version I flashed, 2017 Base / PDK Carrera, did not notice the stumble, was pleasantly happy with the bump in power

1.02 - Stage 2 OTS flashed and first noticed the stumble. I did not have my @Soul Performance cats / exhaust at the time so I just chalked it up to that, tried the PDK reset, same issue
- In between, got my Soul cats / exhaust and talked to John about my stumble. I mentioned that it was starting to get rather irritating and was considering a 570s since it seems dailyable (a large puppy must be able to snooze easily for long drives)... he suggested I consider a pro-tune or grow a pair and get a 600LT... I did not grow said pair

1.04 - Flashed this thinking it would resolve the issue. For the first day it did, and I was pleased, day 2 and onwards it came back with vengeance! Was ready to dump this thing...
- Discussed my issue on RL, PTS-BRG reached out to me, we confirmed I too am suffering from the same issue. Meantime, I was gearing up to get a pro-tune done by a tuner suggested by John
- PTS-BRG had a new tuner provide an updated tune, issue seemed resolved, he suggested Cobb will be also issuing a new tune in the near future... (thank you @PTS-BRG you oddly enough provided me hope to hold off on changing cars and spending more $!... instead I put in effort to refreshing the Cobb site )

1.05 - Near future arrived! This resolved the surge issue fully! The smoothness, acceleration, shifting, just the complete package... it is truly sublime!

This tune made me pretty much excise any thoughts of a 570s, create a wish list of additional mods I should purchase to further enjoy the car, and rack on a ton of miles! I've done about 1400 miles (25370 total) all over the northeast since this tune has been out... it's delicious! With that being said, when I get my headers, I will move to a pro-tune... but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying wearing out my tires via 1.05!

Originally Posted by Psorcery
This correct.

The Cobb tunes are almost all based of RL member "reacher"s car.. For the GTS at least. If you have a California/AZ/Southwest USA car, your OTS Cobb tune is fine but conservative.

Few have had an "issue" with Mitch's tune but that's due to Mitch extracting so much power and the Porsche 991.2 ECU is tough to fool. There are hidden parameters within hidden parameters.. Like the movie inception. It's clear Porsche did not want us cracking and tuning their ECU's.

With that said, I'm fairly certain that Mitch delivers the strongest tune available on stock turbos. PTS and I have put down some of the best stock turbo dragy results I've seen. His car is a heavier targa and my car is a loaded RWD coupe which weighs 3395-3405 pounds at high altitude with huge DA. Last I spoke with Mitch, he said they were developing a full E85 map for our cars which will be bananas!

At this time, I'm not sure if PTS is still having the power surge at high RPM. My car showed this behavior once but Mitch was able to map it out... Given PTS' low altitude and low DA, I'm sure his engine has a higher output than mine. Would be interesting to see how my car would behave if it were located in CT.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 622 Likes on 341 Posts

no more stumble or flutter at redline. Cobb changed some things in their revised tunes and since most pro-tuners use a stock map and then modify it, the flutter should be eliminated for everyone getting Cobb pro tunes or using OTS maps from Cobb.. It certainly had something to do with boost, but it wasn't "just" turning down the boost.

I had my car completely retuned. I have no idea where my HP and torque numbers are now, but the stumble is gone.
Dragy numbers showed the car was down slightly in overall performance and not hooking up in first and second with some tire spin.
I had the tuner drop the boost to 17lbs on launch only and have yet to re-test.

I assume I am running about 3.0 seconds 0-60 and 11.0 flat in the 1/4 mile. It isn't supercar numbers but with a car as heavy as my Targa I don't think I can ask for much better than that..

Quick Reply: Who are the best 991.2 Tuners (objective info inside)