Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aston Martin Vantage - talk me out of it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Königin
Boys, just remember..................it is a car, not a mistress ~ so it is cheaper, you can get rid of it when you want and you can have more than one.
I have to logon just to say “thank you”. I follow this rules and maybe live a few years longer and happier. However, mistress can’t be that bad but you’re right it’s PITA trying to get rid of them.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
Why sell the T? My wife asked me if four convertibles were enough...

Probably not.
Money, space, and time......
Old 08-22-2019, 09:43 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ991
I would trade a T for the new Aston Martin. I would lease the Aston though. They have a really good lease promotion right now until next week. You won’t be stuck with it if you don’t like it. It is a great looking car and sounds great. Just do it. You have other Porsche’s anyways.
I was looking at the lease deal and would likely do that if I decide to get it.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:44 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I had an Aston Martin Vantage (prior generation) for three years prior to my 991 S Cab. I very much enjoyed it. I did track it (as I have my Porsches) as Instructor and for performance the two are very, very similar in braking, cornering and acceleration. Things have changed with the current generation which now have AMG engines in them, but based on my experience of the older car here's my thoughts:

Build Quality: No contest; Aston Martin is a bespoke car that is largely handmade and it shows in the quality, fit and finish, especially on the paint job and interior fitments. Porsche is a production car using the same techniques as VW and every other mass producer, which means lots of plastic, snap-in pieces, speed fasteners and orange peel in the paint.

Comfort and Handling: .About equal. Both are sports cars, however the Porsche you can see out of - the Aston you are buried in the cabin and sight lines are poor. Especially backing up. Porsche has that advantage due to that.

Service and Parts: Cost is about the same if you take the car into the dealer. Parts can take longer with Aston as they are not a mass-producer so it depends on what part you need. However, many of the parts were Ford , Volvo or Jaguar, just re-branded with an Aston Logo. You could figure out that a $ 38 Ford Part was the exact same flasher relay as the $ 296 Aston part, for example. Porsche wins on parts availability.

Panels. Don't crash 'em. Astons are made of bonded aluminum, whereas Porsche (also mostly aluminum) is bolt-on, bolt-off. Takes a speciality body shop to know how to repair body panels on an Aston. In fact, the factory recommends it be sent to England where they can do it right (its in the owner's manual)

Head Turning: Aston, hands down. No contest

Resale TIme: Here's the real problem with Astons (and Ferraris / Bentley). No one wants them with mileage on them - over 20K miles, it's a problem. Also no one will buy it privately, they are scared to death something is wrong with it and want it blessed by the dealer. Other high-line car dealers don't want it, either. Everyone is afraid of a used Aston. Not without some merit, because 2004 and earlier they were truly deplorable in build quality before Ford took them over and re-did the engineering in them. Takes a long time to get over a bad reputation. Huge advantage to Porsche on this. Foreign Cars Italia is a pretty cool dealer, and if you decide to go with it, just know that you will most likely have to return it to them when you're done with it. I'd probably suggest a lease, because they are a real PITA to sell or trade in.

I went back to a Porsche, but I would own another Aston - they're fun.
Thank you for the well thought out reply. I appreciate the insight.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
As long as you're keeping the 987 (gotta have at least one true drivers car!) go for it! You olny live once!
Definitely keeping the 987 Spyder...
Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott997
I couldn't even remember my password and had to reset just to reply to this post, that's how strongly I feel. Aston Martin makes a beautiful car, however the reliability and customer service is horrific. I bought a Vantage in 07 Brand New. It was a total lemon, from bad belts, oil leaks, fuel gauge not working, and even more. The car was at the dealer most of the time. I friend of mine I met post Aston Martin had a Vantage also, his transmission needed to be replaced. Not only that customer service from the factory is terrible, they string you along and don't support their cars at all. I also have to name Kerbeck in New Jersey as being the WORST car dealership ever. Did I mention I was even at the Aston Martin Factory? Beautiful place.....
Now let tell you something about the many 911's I have owned. NEVER any issues that weren't quickly solved. Don't let the Aston looks fool you.
This is definitely one of my concerns.
However I have heard that the newer cars are pretty solid.
But yes 911's are pretty bulletproof
Old 08-22-2019, 09:49 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Aston Martin Vantage is not a track car at all...
But it makes a great GT car, I've had lots and lots of time with and around them.

Plus everyone thinks your James Bond
I am only getting to the track once or twice a year anymore so I am sure the Vantage and the Spyder will be fun for those occasions. If I wanted a track car I would definitely get a GT3.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:54 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MielsOnWheels
I can’t comment on the Aston. However, I am interested to see how you like your RS5 Sportback? I’ve owned 3 A6s over the years and I’ve been intrigued by the RS5. To me, the 991.2 GTS is perhaps the ultimate Swiss Army knife car, suitable for a DD that can also be a track beast. I’ve wondered if the RS5 might fit this description description in the sedan world?
I like the RS5 Sportback. It looks killer in my opinion but especially in the Sonoma Green.
I honestly bought it for my wife and she really likes it.
I think my 2017 M3 Competition package car was much more fun to drive.
I will probably take it to the track for a few laps next time I go this fall but I honestly don't have very high expectations. Its a heavy car. Fast for sure, but probably not very sharp at the track.
Truthfully I don't like the dampening of the suspension. I think "auto" or I guess what should be called normal mode is too soft and sport/sport + is too harsh. Porsche has the suspension tuning far far better than Audi.
Some people have made very positive comments on the RS5 dampening but I don't really agree.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Seems like having the new Vantage sit alongside a 911 is a pretty amazing garage. I could wake up to that every morning and consider it a good start to the day.
I will keep the 987 Spyder but not the 911.
The following users liked this post:
Thinc2 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

I am still on the fence about this but I may very well just wait until the manual comes out early next year.
I am afraid I will get bored with the paddle shift auto....
But I am going to think a little more on it.
I really LOVE the look of the Vantage and as I said I was really impressed with how it drove. But a little run down the highway and a short drive doesn't tell me enough.
However most reviews of the car are very positive.
Maybe the manual car will both satisfy the look and drive I want...

Man that car is beautiful though!
Old 08-24-2019, 01:37 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BOPE
I looked at a 2019 Aston Martin Vantage before purchasing my 991.2, but had difficulty finding one with a manual transmission.

Had there been a manual transmission car available I may have jumped from Porsche to AM.

I'm quite pleased with my '19 991.2, so I'm glad I didn't make the change.
Manuals are not available yet...but will be coming soon.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:42 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
If you want a vantage then get the GT in Charlotte (foreign cars). It’s a great car. Completely different than Porsche but amazing for completely different reasons.
They want $85k for it.
Started looking online at a few used 2015 Vantage GT with the manual 6 speed. Better deals seem to be out there.

Obviously not the same as the car I drove but they look pretty sweet and the reviews overall seem positive. And they sound amazing...even better than the new one it seems to me.

I just never paid attention to anything other than Porsche....

But maybe I could keep the 911 and Spyder and get a used Vantage for around $70k when I sell my 356 Speedster replica......

Just not sure if that makes sense considering I barely have time to drive all my cars as it is...
And not sure if the wife will go crazy...
Would also mean that I will need to park my daily driver Range Rover outside even after I build the second garage this fall....
Life can be hard.....
sr5959 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 09:33 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
They want $85k for it.
Started looking online at a few used 2015 Vantage GT with the manual 6 speed. Better deals seem to be out there.

Obviously not the same as the car I drove but they look pretty sweet and the reviews overall seem positive. And they sound amazing...even better than the new one it seems to me.

I just never paid attention to anything other than Porsche....

But maybe I could keep the 911 and Spyder and get a used Vantage for around $70k when I sell my 356 Speedster replica......

Just not sure if that makes sense considering I barely have time to drive all my cars as it is...
And not sure if the wife will go crazy...
Would also mean that I will need to park my daily driver Range Rover outside even after I build the second garage this fall....
Life can be hard.....
FCA wants too much for their Vantage GT; yes... you can find better deals and they will drop 7-8K like they always do with these. They are CPO though. The Vantage GT is like getting a Carrera T with the GTS engine in the Porsche world. The main options on the GT to consider are Sport or Comfort suspension, sports exhaust and stereo. There are some color options of course but those will be evident just my looking at it. The GT basically gets all the performance things but limited on the super luxury items. Things like special leathers and such.... the standard leather on Aston is far superior to anything you'll ever see on a Porsche built in Stuttgart...

Think of it as more of a muscle car with a high revving, low torque engine and you'll appreciate it more. The 911 is a scalpel but not as muscly driving. These V8 Astons are really special cars and IMO the 993 of Aston
Old 08-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default im amazed

I drove the f430 with the F1 package in the mountains and thought it was the first auto Iwould actually own. What about it didnt you like ? Do you normally drive automatic cars ?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:24 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

TopGear had an interesting conclusion “If you want a sports car with a Mercedes engine....buy a Mercedes”

Gorgeous car though!
TurboS_GG (11-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Vantage - talk me out of it...