Wind deflector failure causes convertible top to fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 PM
Andreas Jablonka
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind deflector failure causes convertible top to fail

Wind deflector failure causes convertible top to fail
My top wont open or close. Dash says error in soft top system. Took it to Porsche. They said wind deflector broken that’s why. Quoted 2500$ repair.

Now im aware the windeflector is folded down before the top can open or close. But should it not work regardless? Its down, not up.
Thoughst?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,353 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Probably a position switch sensor for the wind deflector. Does the wind deflector still go up and down with the switch?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:05 AM
Andreas Jablonka
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
Probably a position switch sensor for the wind deflector. Does the wind deflector still go up and down with the switch?
it does not do anything. top up, wind deflector or trip down (all 3 buttons) just give me the yellow dash. I figured its a switch or sensor but it sounds porsche of course wants to replace the whole thing.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Get behind your rear seats and drop the panel and see if the connector popped off, or loosened.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Andreas Jablonka
Cruisin'

I did that. Followed the Porsche manual for emergency retract of winddeflector. No cables were loose, no screws missing and nothing loose around the motor

Old 08-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I forgot to tell you to use the SmartTop instructions to get back there but you obviously knew how! Too bad, I hate to see people pay a dealer for something that may be pretty simple. Any Indy shops you might be to talk to?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Andreas Jablonka
Cruisin'

It sure what the smart top is but the Porsche manual was very easy to follow.

I do have a great Indy shop at Autowerkstatt in Manhattan beach. I would still be out $250 for diagnostics. Bit annoyed the just want to replace it rather than fix a microswitch or cable. Typical Porsche eh?

im not convinced fixing the wind deflector fixes the top to be honest.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andreas Jablonka
It sure what the smart top is but the Porsche manual was very easy to follow.

I do have a great Indy shop at Autowerkstatt in Manhattan beach. I would still be out $250 for diagnostics. Bit annoyed the just want to replace it rather than fix a microswitch or cable. Typical Porsche eh?

im not convinced fixing the wind deflector fixes the top to be honest.
I have the SmartTop on my Targa and I LOVE it...if you get yours fixed check it out: https://www.motivemods.com/Mods4Cars...4c-sthbpe1.htm

I would gladly pay $250 to find out what the problem is, especially for the problem you have!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Andreas Jablonka
Cruisin'

that SmartTop sounds cool. my dealer told me porsche US disabled top up/down with key for liability reasons. he did not know a way of programming that. sounds like this 400$ piece does it.
every time i feel im done spendinmg momney on this car something like this comes up...yeah its cool...is it worth 400$ idk.

btw the 250 was for the diagnostic. i only received this: wind deflector failure needs replacement. thats it. if gthey had took the deflector apart and said, control unit broken, motor broken or whatever i could see that being useful. but just they might as well say replace CAR
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andreas Jablonka
that SmartTop sounds cool. my dealer told me porsche US disabled top up/down with key for liability reasons. he did not know a way of programming that. sounds like this 400$ piece does it.
every time i feel im done spendinmg momney on this car something like this comes up...yeah its cool...is it worth 400$ idk.

btw the 250 was for the diagnostic. i only received this: wind deflector failure needs replacement. thats it. if gthey had took the deflector apart and said, control unit broken, motor broken or whatever i could see that being useful. but just they might as well say replace CAR
Sorry, missed that part but I understand your frustration. Once you get it working though SmartTop is worth every penny to a lot of us since there are lots of near features, which I use every time I use the car.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 PM
Andreas Jablonka
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sorry, missed that part but I understand your frustration. Once you get it working though SmartTop is worth every penny to a lot of us since there are lots of near features, which I use every time I use the car.
absolutely no argument there. $400 is quite steep when I'm looking at my office hardwood floor that's needs refurnishing which is $700 my car already got a ceramic coating before my office, they are fighting for resources!

Quick Reply: Wind deflector failure causes convertible top to fail