Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019 | 07:48 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

That def. helps. I really need to be patient but that is wearing off
Old 08-09-2019 | 07:50 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

Thank you for your reply. I have learned the hard way that when a good one comes to jump on it. Now I am ready to pounce immediately. Congrats on your. It is beautiful
Old 08-09-2019 | 07:51 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

That's not bad. And carmax even gives a warranty. Unfortunately the front license plate drilled into the bumper is a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-09-2019 | 07:52 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Haliax
For $70k I would look at the 2017 991.2 C2. Seems like the 991.1 cars are selling at a premium because it was the last generation of NA engines. However, the 3.0 liter twin turbo introduced in the 991.2 is an amazing engine. I bet you could find a number of decent base Carreras in your price range if you switch to 2017.

Also, as a Carrera T owner, I don’t think the PSE is totally necessary. I actually don’t use it that much. Definitely go for the manual transmission though. It makes the car so fun to drive. Good luck with your search. You will love it!!
Thank you. I really like the T. That may be my second p car after the initial purchase.
Old 08-09-2019 | 07:53 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

I really want a cpo but a well documented car I could go with. Even an aftermarket powertrain warranty for peace of mind wouldn't be bad. I can stomach some minor repairs here and there
Old 08-09-2019 | 07:54 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

I agree. And I don't mind a few more miles as from my experience cars need to be driven 5-7k miles per year. Anything less I've had nothing but problems over time.
Old 08-09-2019 | 12:50 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paullyb85
I agree. And I don't mind a few more miles as from my experience cars need to be driven 5-7k miles per year. Anything less I've had nothing but problems over time.
Using mine as a daily driver and I do about 12k miles/year. Car feels extremely solid for a 6-7 year old and is basically like new. Very impressed how the interior has held up with age/mileage.
Old 08-09-2019 | 12:52 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paullyb85
Thank you for your reply. I have learned the hard way that when a good one comes to jump on it. Now I am ready to pounce immediately. Congrats on your. It is beautiful
So true if you see the right one get your deposit on it immediately! For mine I had deposit placed before they even had time to put pics on the ad.
Old 08-09-2019 | 01:32 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting market... I agree with you on the 997 front, the 991 is noticeably more refined in every way except possibly looks (the 997 seems more classically pretty to me) but your wife thinks it's dated anyway. I would say 991>997 unless you were going for something collectible like a sport classic or possibly a GTS... Back when I was shopping 997s were way overpriced vs 991s. The first 991 drive minutes after a 997 was a revelation - much better turn in, nicer interior, more elbow room...

Re your dealer car, it's basically very similar to the one I bought (2013 base, mine is stick, similar mileage) but I would estimate mine is worth 50 now... So that is a very expensive CPO from the dealer - as you surmised ;-) You can do better !

Last edited by Greg D.; 08-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2019 | 06:57 PM
ncm
Intermediate

Some observations/opinions/guesses that may be self-serving since I have a 991.2 manual for sale. I too started looking for an older model 991, and ended up buying a current model 991.

1. 991.1 and 991.2 are very different experiences with the 7MT. 997 is very different from both. Not saying one is better than other, but you really have to try each to see what fits you.
2. Economic value of CPO warranty is ostensibly about what dealer pays for it. $1500-2000?
3. CPO inspection value is dubious. I was recently told dealers can CPO certify 991's with Range 3 and Range 4 overrevs. I almost bought a CPO "corporate vehicle" (less than a year old, always owned by Porsche) but when I asked if it had been tracked the dealer wouldn't say "no", "I don't know", or "I'll check" - I took that as a "yes". I wouldn't hire a dealership to do a PPI on a car they were selling me.
4. I think depreciation on Porsches and //M cars mostly flattens out after about year two and a newer/lower mileage car has less risk of maintenance (e.g., brakes, clutch, seals, belts, fluids) and repair costs. So the out of pocket cost of, say, reselling a 2017 after two years is probably close to doing the same with a 2015.
5. Mileage matters a lot on 911 resale. Preowned buyers are value-driven and sensitive to the cost of major maintenance (e.g., clutch) and latent defects that don't tend to surface until higher miles.
6. I suspect Apple Carplay will become a "must have" for some buyers.
7. The 991.2 may be hot in a few years (like the old Supra?) because big power is cheap with a tune, it has the chassis and running gear to handle it, and the body style never looks outdated.
8. Based on my own experiences and what I've read in the Pcar and //M forums, I will only buy a high end car from a personal owner, or MAYBE a dealer that is selling a low mileage, in-warranty car traded to them directly. Cars that are laundered through auction or Carmax, odds are too great that someone is unloading a car with hidden defects.
9. Even a 911 is not a substitute for a motorcycle. But it's a lot closer than any other cage I've driven.
Old 08-10-2019 | 02:34 AM
DOG ON
Racer

I don't think anyone has suggested this on this thread yet, but I speak from experience. I actually found my '13 C2 a little over a year ago at CarMax of all places. It only had 18k miles and was in near flawless condition with literally every option I was looking for save for PSE. With shipping, taxes, and a bumper to bumper 5 year warranty (since they couldn't CPO the car) I was out the door for just under $70k. Original sticker on the car was $110k. I've had a few things that needed work since then (a failed change over valve, and a leaking headlight washer pump). Their service department has been absolutely fantastic with good scheduling, communication, updates, and loaner cars when parts needed to be ordered, all at no charge to me.

If you have a local dealership, I highly suggest checking out their inventory and taking a test drive or two. If you find a 911 with the options you're looking for at one of their other dealerships, getting the car shipped to your local dealer is a breeze. You have to pay for the shipping (I think I paid roughly $400) but, have no obligation to buy the vehicle if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Here's their current inventory according to the website.
https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=911

Last edited by DOG ON; 08-10-2019 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
737gdog (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019 | 08:21 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sr5959
So true if you see the right one get your deposit on it immediately! For mine I had deposit placed before they even had time to put pics on the ad.
The good ones go quick. That was a good call
Old 08-10-2019 | 08:22 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Interesting market... I agree with you on the 997 front, the 991 is noticeably more refined in every way except possibly looks (the 997 seems more classically pretty to me) but your wife thinks it's dated anyway. I would say 991>997 unless you were going for something collectible like a sport classic or possibly a GTS... Back when I was shopping 997s were way overpriced vs 991s. The first 991 drive minutes after a 997 was a revelation - much better turn in, nicer interior, more elbow room...

Re your dealer car, it's basically very similar to the one I bought (2013 base, mine is stick, similar mileage) but I would estimate mine is worth 50 now... So that is a very expensive CPO from the dealer - as you surmised ;-) You can do better !
Yeah they want close to 70 all in. If I'm going to take a 20k hit it better be after a few years. I'd be better off buying new at that price. I have a feeling it will be coming down in price. It's just how low will it go before someone takes it.
Old 08-10-2019 | 08:27 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

Thanks so much for your input. It sounds like we are a lot alike. I will not touch anything out of auction. I'm looking for cpo (which I've learned doesn't take too much to qualify for) or a 1 owner who meticulously kept records (something I like to do). I know it won't be a substitute for a bike but it will be better than the z4 I tried to substitute it with a little while back (that car was terrible). And I didn't even think about resale on the 991.2 and the massive power that you can get with a tune. My buddy has a 2016 m3 with a tune (everything else stock) and he is running in the 10.7s and 0-60 around 3 seconds
Old 08-10-2019 | 08:28 AM
paullyb85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DOG ON
I don't think anyone has suggested this on this thread yet, but I speak from experience. I actually found my '13 C2 a little over a year ago at CarMax of all places. It only had 18k miles and was in near flawless condition with literally every option I was looking for save for PSE. With shipping, taxes, and a bumper to bumper 5 year warranty (since they couldn't CPO the car) I was out the door for just under $70k. Original sticker on the car was $110. I've had a few things that needed work since then (a failed change over valve, and a leaking headlight washer pump). Their service department has been absolutely fantastic with good scheduling, communication, updates, and loaner cars when parts needed to be ordered, all at no charge to me.

If you have a local dealership, I highly suggest checking out their inventory and taking a test drive or two. If you find a 911 with the options you're looking for at one of their other dealerships, getting the car shipped to your local dealer is a breeze. You have to pay for the shipping (I think I paid roughly $400) but, have no obligation to buy the vehicle if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Here's their current inventory according to the website.
https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=911
I'm going to take a look now. Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: Looking for first 911