991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my GT3 Touring for Targa GTS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019 | 04:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I, and most every other Targa owner, does not experience buffeting - I drive with the top down at triple digits often. If your seat is all the way up though you might! I had a C7 and I sold it because of the buffeting so I made sure I road tested it before I bought it. Search this forum and Google it as well if one does not believe me. Also, most Targa owners buy the SmartTop controller, which allows one to open/close the top while moving, albeit it slowly, and with your remote and one touch operation with the console button. Finally, unless you are tracking the car I cannot see how one would notice the relatively small increase in weight - a few less hamburgers would probably solve that problem for some owners.
Old 07-29-2019 | 05:15 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I, and most every other Targa owner, does not experience buffeting - I drive with the top down at triple digits often. If your seat is all the way up though you might! I had a C7 and I sold it because of the buffeting so I made sure I road tested it before I bought it. Search this forum and Google it as well if one does not believe me. Also, most Targa owners buy the SmartTop controller, which allows one to open/close the top while moving, albeit it slowly, and with your remote and one touch operation with the console button. Finally, unless you are tracking the car I cannot see how one would notice the relatively small increase in weight - a few less hamburgers would probably solve that problem for some owners.

Agree. Zero wind issues for me.

In fact I was just in the car with a buddy at speed. And he marveled at how comfortable it was. I even took a work call and it was flawless.

I tell you, this car is basically perfect.
Old 07-29-2019 | 05:25 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

The Targa is around 150kgs heavier than a regular GTS...and all that weight is in the top half of the car. That's like two extra people sitting on the roof of your car. You may not have been able to feel the extra weight but I certainly did.

Also, SmartTop is a 3rd party solution to opening the roof on the move. Ask yourself why Porsche didn't do it considering you can open their Cab on the move. And good luck with your warranty if something goes wrong with the roof mechanism.

With regards to buffeting, I test drove the Cab, Targa and Sunroof cars back to back...and the Targa felt like it had approx 50% more buffeting with the seat in the lowest position.

Anyway, each to their own I guess....but for me, the current Targa is an over complicated, heavy answer to a question that nobody asked. Keeping to their heritage, it should have been a simple removable panel.
Old 07-29-2019 | 05:55 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sheik_djibouti
Interesting... Do you know who does their installs here in the states? I found the page but it's all in German.
I don't, but I bet a reputable shop that does air-cooled body reconditioning could look at the kit and tell you what is required for install. I had a friend who does a lot of custom Vanagon and 914/early 911 frame work look into it: he said the install would be very straightforward, for him at least. All of the hardware is included; really, it is drilling, cutting carpet, and placing parts by someone who knows what they are doing around a 911. I have seen a couple of custom GT3 RS jobs and they all involved a lot more work, as a one-off kit had to be built from scratch. This one is more plug and play.

If we decide to keep our GT3, it is the route we are going. We need 4 seats as well, but that car is hard to give up! A GTS is great, but it isn't a GT3. It is better in many ways, but not all; nothing beats that PDK-sport transmission or 9,000 RPM high. The GT3 suspension could be replicated on a GTS, but I am not sure you would want to on a Targa. It might be tough on the roof mechanism. Either that, or keep the GT3 and look for an older 997 cab with 4 seats. Still plenty of fun, maybe more fun for a daily car!
The following users liked this post:
sheik_djibouti (07-29-2019)
Old 07-30-2019 | 10:45 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
The Targa is around 150kgs heavier than a regular GTS...and all that weight is in the top half of the car. That's like two extra people sitting on the roof of your car. You may not have been able to feel the extra weight but I certainly did.

Also, SmartTop is a 3rd party solution to opening the roof on the move. Ask yourself why Porsche didn't do it considering you can open their Cab on the move. And good luck with your warranty if something goes wrong with the roof mechanism.

With regards to buffeting, I test drove the Cab, Targa and Sunroof cars back to back...and the Targa felt like it had approx 50% more buffeting with the seat in the lowest position.

Anyway, each to their own I guess....but for me, the current Targa is an over complicated, heavy answer to a question that nobody asked. Keeping to their heritage, it should have been a simple removable panel.
The OP needs to drive it to see if he can notice the extra weight. Keep in mind that when cars are weighed they are empty so when a driver is added the center of gravity is lowered; however, if you think you can feel it I will not argue albeit I am skeptical. Also, if options such as FAL and RAS are added the extra weight of those is down low to offset the extra weight up high.

The roof can be opened when moving in the rest of the world, same for opening it from the remote, so you ask Porsche why! I think I know though: the top partially blocks the tail lights when it opens and US regs do not allow that when moving.

And again, the OP can be his own judge of buffeting since the vast majority of Targa owners do NOT think it is an issue.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 07-30-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2019 | 01:17 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

And again, the OP can be his own judge of buffeting since the vast majority of Targa owners do NOT think it is an issue.
Fixed it for you !
Old 07-30-2019 | 01:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Fixed it for you !
Whew, thanks! I updated my post as well...hard to make a point when I say the opposite.
Old 07-30-2019 | 11:46 PM
sheik_djibouti
Track Day

Great comments again. Seems I should actually drive a Targa before making this decision...
Old 07-30-2019 | 11:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Great comments again. Seems I should actually drive a Targa before making this decision...
I test drove several Cabs at dealers somewhat near me but Ilked the look of the Targa so much I had to test drive one to be sure I could live with it. I read all the reviews and posts about it here on Rennlist and elsewhere but there were conflicting opinions on some things, like wind buffeting so I drove over 200 miles to the closest dealer that had one. They had it (2017 4S) ready and the SA told us to take it as long as we wanted to, and that is what we did. We drove in traffic. on the highway and tried everything inside and we were sold so the search began. After a couple months I could not find a used or new one that checked all the option boxes that I desired so I wound up ordering one exactly the way I wanted, except for PCCBs, which I added a few months ago.
Old 07-31-2019 | 12:19 AM
sheik_djibouti
Track Day

Flying to Seattle soon and saw that Porsche Bellevue actually has a Targa 4 GTS in stock... But it's behind ropes because its a Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur spec at $185k lol... no test drives
Old 07-31-2019 | 07:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Flying to Seattle soon and saw that Porsche Bellevue actually has a Targa 4 GTS in stock... But it's behind ropes because its a Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur spec at $185k lol... no test drives
Going for some serious coin these Targa GTS's are... https://www.porschebellevue.com/new/...f54bb853b7.htm

Good luck on your trip!
Old 07-31-2019 | 10:07 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting retrofit seat comments.. I didn't know that was legally possible, but having Carbon Buckets up front make it impossible to access the rear with any practicality. Also didn't know that the rear seats on the Targa are different/more upright than the Cab or Coupe. Does anyone here have any experience mounting car seats in the back of a 991 Targa?
To clear this up, the Targa seats are the same as the cab, which is to say much more upright and a bit forward than in the coupe. Also less side room.

I've never put a car seat in the back of my cab, just a small booster. But I wouldn't want to have to. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10. There isn't much room left.
sheik_djibouti (08-02-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 10:25 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
To clear this up, the Targa seats are the same as the cab, which is to say much more upright and a bit forward than in the coupe. Also less side room.

I've never put a car seat in the back of my cab, just a small booster. But I wouldn't want to have to. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10. There isn't much room left.
I am 6'2" as well and there is plenty of room behind my seat so it depends on one's seating position. I have always adhered to the recommended position:
Old 07-31-2019 | 10:27 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

And if one wants Porsche's recommendation:
Old 07-31-2019 | 12:55 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Do it! Got a 991.1 GTS Targa. Think it's gorgeous and well-suited for hauling little ones.
sheik_djibouti (08-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Selling my GT3 Touring for Targa GTS...