Sponsored by:

Is it a bad time to buy used 991.2 S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 AM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket
The car was used as a demo car at the Porsche Experience center. Hard pass.
For the benefit of my own 991.2 search, how did you know this? Something specific in the CarFax report?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:35 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
For the benefit of my own 991.2 search, how did you know this? Something specific in the CarFax report?
It’s in the description and carfax never shows registration

wow it has had a lot of work done.

Lovely options, but that drivetrain and engine has been worked hard.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Wow. That’s a lot of red in the interior.
From a guy with a lot of Miami Blue inside.
Car is nicely done. Love the red Porsche's. Guards Red in particular.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Wow. That’s a lot of red in the interior.
That's why this car isn't selling. overkill. I saw one in Quebec City with a similar setup and It was way too much for me to handle and I LOVE red cars lol.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:34 AM
mlnr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I own a former master the manual car. Bought it at a steep discount and also bought an extended warranty just in case. I have had roughly two years and 8000 miles of fun with no problems at all. Just wanted to offer some actual experience.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 PM
VegasJeff
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't buy it because I found a nicely equipped 991.2 GTS for the same price.

My point is posting it was to show the discount. Sure it has lots of red, but for the right buyer, I think it's a good deal at 103k. 30% off of MSRP, 18 way heated and cooled seats, PCCB's, and CPO isn't bad. Sure it's been driven but many would argue that's what the car is designed for.

And if something breaks, it comes with a great warranty.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Worse, it was a Porsche Driving School car which meant that it lived its whole life up to this point at the limiter and was worked as hard as possible. Nearly all of the hours on the car are track hours. Much much worse than PEC where they only do launches and skid pad exercises. Porsche Driving School cars make PEC cars look like garage queens.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Skullbussa
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry, trying to bring things back to the topic...

Has the "992 Tax" hit the 991.2 market yet or are these used car prices still not taking that newer car into account?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm not fond of ex-PEC vehicles but the CPO makes it more attractive especially since the ex-PEC cars that I've seen on dealer lots were not CPO'd. I like the red gages (love my racing yellow gages) but not the red accents. The red accents are easily replaceable with aftermarket carbon fiber or other materials. It's a gorgeous car in my opinion. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so if you like, just do it!
One thing to consider with this vehicle is that it has PCCBs and being that it was a PEC car, you may want to see how much meat is on the pads and rotors. Could mean $$$ out of pocket.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

Has the "992 Tax" hit the 991.2 market yet or are these used car prices still not taking that newer car into account?
Hard to say for sure. Looking at wholesale transactions, a like-for-like 991.2 has depreciated by $11K over the past year. I'm not sure how much that is attributable to the 992 or just normal depreciation. As context, 991.1 has held relatively flat over that time period.

Personally, I would not buy a 991.2 right now if I were planning to flip it in a year or two and was focused on depreciation. I'd wait until 992s were more prevalent. Impossible to know for sure though.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

I think it matters if one wants a manual or PDK. Since the C8 will not have the former 911.2 prices for those should remain strong while PDK cars may decline more.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:10 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I think it matters if one wants a manual or PDK. Since the C8 will not have the former 911.2 prices for those should remain strong while PDK cars may decline more.
What?

DaveGee
Old 07-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
What?

DaveGee
Sorry, first post of the day and before a cup of coffee so I guess I needed to put it into context. I was talking to a neighbor the other day and he said his son really liked the new C8 but since it has now been reported that it will never have a manual he is considering a preowned manual Porsche for about the same money. Manual lovers are having a harder time finding even preowned 991s with manuals now so those cars should hold their value better than the auto cars.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:39 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

Anyone who's considering the purchase of a an ex-PEC or PTX vehicle should consider attending some of the courses. It is a great experience, almost addictive.

The Atlanta site is compact and the cars there aren't pushed as hard as the Birmingham ones, so a screaming deal on an Atlanta car could tempt. The launch control sessions on PDK cars plus the PCCB brakes would be a concern when buying one.

The Birmingham cars are subjected to a completely different environment. They are run hard, and since the windows are up, they have the A/C on all the time, they are driven by different drivers who stress the car differently. Heavy braking is emphasized by the instructors, so those components are consumed (the PCCB is longer lasting, according to the staff 2 to 3 times longer than the steel). When you go down the track, you have chunks of rubber banging on the cars and you're on the gas, on the brakes hard.

One car in particular, a Turbo S, is used to do launch control starts constantly, one after the other, it's a sight to see and explosive to experience. However, would you want to own that car?

Some food for thought...
Old 07-25-2019, 02:31 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Worse, it was a Porsche Driving School car which meant that it lived its whole life up to this point at the limiter and was worked as hard as possible. Nearly all of the hours on the car are track hours. Much much worse than PEC where they only do launches and skid pad exercises. Porsche Driving School cars make PEC cars look like garage queens.
So, broken in then?

Quick Reply: Is it a bad time to buy used 991.2 S?