Sponsored by:

Battery alligator clips for hood release

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Paulished
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery alligator clips for hood release

I have a 991.2 and recently had my battery die and found out the hard way how to pop the hood with a dead battery.

Id like to buy a battery & alligator clips that I can keep in my frunk for emergency situations.

Can someone recommend the best best solution for this? Even better would be to have something that could pop the hood and jump start if necessary.

Can someone send an amazon link?

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2019, 03:38 PM
xford
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a Anti-Gravity battery - save 30 plus pounds and have remote auto start! Battery auto puts its self to sleep with enough juice for a few starts - comes with a couple fobs. Not cheap but for the weight savings alone its a bargin IMO
Old 07-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulished
I have a 991.2 and recently had my battery die and found out the hard way how to pop the hood with a dead battery.

Id like to buy a battery & alligator clips that I can keep in my frunk for emergency situations.

Can someone recommend the best best solution for this? Even better would be to have something that could pop the hood and jump start if necessary.

Thank you!
https://www.lifewire.com/best-portab...arters-4140286

Dead Battery - Power from Power Pack Contact Points

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 07-20-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:26 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

Thank you!
Not going to do you any good if you keep it in your frunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by OliverK68:
0luke1 (07-26-2019), Class5Kayaker (07-23-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Not going to do you any good if you keep it in your frunk.

This!

Also, can't go wrong with anything on Sid's list.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

I carry this on the floor behind the passenger seat.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
I carry this on the floor behind the passenger seat.

That's my plan, too. And thanks for the reminder to check the charge. (I have these in my other vehicles, and also gave them to my kids.)
Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Thank you!
How old was your battery? Did you leave something on to drain it?
Old 07-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Thank you!
Hi Everyone! So in addition to our battery xford mentioned earlier we've got some other options that could provide some great solutions in scenarios like these. One option is right along the lines of what Paulished is looking for in that we have a harness you can run directly from your battery and plug into a jumpstarter. This will allow you to jump the vehicle as well as provide short term power if you just want to pop the frunk. We make them to connect to our Microstart as well as other existing jump starters and they can be found in the link below the image.

Starting Harness

Now we also have another cool little item called the battery tracker which would be more of a preventative measure but is great for sever other uses as well. This guy will let you monitor your voltage in real time, show you how fast a parasitic drain could be if one exists and also send alerts to your phone if the battery is getting low and needs to be charged. In addition it also has cranking and charging system tests available to view even more information. This is all done via bluetooth and sent to an app on your phone whenever you come within 30 feet of the car and very simple to set up.
There are options for lithium batteries as well as lead/acid and can be found here.. Battery Tracker

If you have any question on the items or applications always feel free to let us know.
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 07-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

I can vouch for the Anitgravity's Battery Tracker. Easy to install and works great.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (07-22-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Alligator clips in the frunk won't help you access the frunk with a dead battery!

I did a mod to my wheel liner to have the emergency access cable accessible without removing the tire and wheel well liner. I used a 9/64" drill bit for the hole. In the first pic I've circled two "indents" in white. You can see where I drilled my first hole, but I ended up needing to shift it to where the green circle is. The second pic shows you the cable itself circled in green. After drilling the hole in the liner, just re-install the liner and feed the cable through. Once it's all buttoned back up, no one has any clue that the cable is there (you'd have to know where to look and shine a light in the wheel well to see it). You can access it with the tire still mounted (I have 20" wheels, but I'm not lowered) and grab the cable and pop the frunk.

But what about theft?? The worst case scenario is someone knows this cable exists, then they check to see if you've actually done this mod, and then they pop your frunk and can steal something from inside the frunk. If you have battery power, as soon as the frunk is popped using the cable, it sets off the alarm though.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

I've bought an XP-10 and a Sport for inside my 911s in case I need to open the hood.
The XP-10 started my turbo with a dead battery, the sport couldn't.
As an aside, the ATX-30 restart I've been using since 10/18 in my mostly track turbo has performed great, never have had an issue. I've let it die a couple times from lack of use and after a jumpbox to start the car, then driving for 15-30 minutes, the battery was fine.
Have been thinking about putting one in my 991s when the 7 year old original goes.
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co.../micro-starts/
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've bought an XP-10 and a Sport for inside my 911s in case I need to open the hood.
The XP-10 started my turbo with a dead battery, the sport couldn't.
As an aside, the ATX-30 restart I've been using since 10/18 in my mostly track turbo has performed great, never have had an issue. I've let it die a couple times from lack of use and after a jumpbox to start the car, then driving for 15-30 minutes, the battery was fine.
Have been thinking about putting one in my 991s when the 7 year old original goes.
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co.../micro-starts/
Thanks 911mhawk! For those of you considering a Microstart this weekend is a great time to get one as Antigravity Batteries is running an amazing sale this weekend starting 7/26/19-7/28/19 on select Microstart Jump Starters. Models include our most compact unit in the Sport(White) but also our most powerful units in the XP-10 and XP-10 HD which are strong enough to start a 7.3 liter diesel. So if you're looking for something compact to energize the system or something bigger with a little more juice for all of your jump starting needs as well as to have for back-up power for your electronics be sure to take advantage! Coupon Code is FLASH3
Old 07-26-2019, 01:53 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Thanks 911mhawk! For those of you considering a Microstart this weekend is a great time to get one as Antigravity Batteries is running an amazing sale this weekend starting 7/26/19-7/28/19 on select Microstart Jump Starters. Models include our most compact unit in the Sport(White) but also our most powerful units in the XP-10 and XP-10 HD which are strong enough to start a 7.3 liter diesel. So if you're looking for something compact to energize the system or something bigger with a little more juice for all of your jump starting needs as well as to have for back-up power for your electronics be sure to take advantage! Coupon Code is FLASH3
Whats the correct link / model to order for a 2017 carrera?
Old 07-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by koven
Whats the correct link / model to order for a 2017 carrera?
Hi Koven, For batteries I believe on the Carerra's the stock size was an H7. But of course as with most modern models you would have the option of using multiple sizes but just adjusting the stock cleat hold down for the battery so either the H6 or H7 would work great and the 40Ah option would be the suggested route to go.
H6-40-RS
H7-40-RS

For Jump Starting the the smallest I'll usually go on a car is the XP-3 but the XP-10, which is part of the sale this weekend, covers everything!
Micro-Starts

Quick Reply: Battery alligator clips for hood release