Sponsored by:

New Racing Yellow 991.1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Racing Yellow 991.1 Questions

Hey everybody, I just picked up a heavily spec'd racing yellow C2S 991.1 and loving every bit of it. This will be my 3rd 991.1 (C4S and GTS previously) and have noticed a few irregularities from my previous cars.

1. On a slow crawl and slight application of the throttle, to get into a parking spot for example, the car seems to shift into second prematurely and feels like it is going to stall.
2. There is a vibration in the rear that almost sounds like the exhaust is rubbing against the car. It happens when the car is idle, at stop lights, and when it starts moving from a stop.
3. After a drive, I know there is usually some sounds involved with the car cooling down. This one is a bit more pronounced where it sounds like liquid is hitting an empty metal container and lasts for awhile.

At 19k miles, this is the highest mileage example I've owned. I sold my other cars when they were around 12k miles so I'm not sure if what I describe is normal with use. I plan on putting about 20k-30k miles on it annually.
I'm split as to whether or not these are legitimate issues. The shifting could just be the pdk programming trying to upshift for the max mpg and misunderstanding my intent, the vibration might be a loose exhaust clamp, and the sounds after a drive might just be the metal cooling down. On the flip side, it could potentially be a motor mount, trans mount, or pdk issues.

Are the symptoms I described normal?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Only one way to find out - get it checked by dealer if still covered. Mines a manual so don’t know about PDK.

Curious why you went through all those iterations of 1.1 to arrive at the C2S? Full disclosure I also drive a 991.1S and absolutely love it but would probably have also been happy with the 4S or GTS.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Only one way to find out - get it checked by dealer if still covered. Mines a manual so don’t know about PDK.

Curious why you went through all those iterations of 1.1 to arrive at the C2S? Full disclosure I also drive a 991.1S and absolutely love it but would probably have also been happy with the 4S or GTS.

Unfortunately, it is no longer under warranty.

I bought a 4S because I wanted the wide body. I loved that car and drove it everywhere. After awhile, I decided that I prefer a rwd car and happened to stumble on an awesome GTS. Having owned that for a brief period of time but never having time to drive it, I sold it. Both were weekend cars. More recently, I felt like I wanted a fun daily car that I could drive without too much worry. After a disappointing drive in a .2, I knew a .1 was the only answer. A GTS crossed my mind but since it is going to be a daily, I didn't want to deal with center locks. Plus, I plan on putting a lot of miles on it so no reason to pay a premium on a GTS only to absorb a crazy amount of depreciation due to mileage. I never wanted a yellow car but the build sheet caught my attention - it was a $143k C2S built in 2013. X51 powerkit, 18ways, sport design w/ ducktail, full leather, etc. The more I looked at the yellow, the better I liked it. Since it is yellow, it was priced a bit below anything comparable in a different color so the stars really aligned! A C2S is the perfect daily in my opinion and I plan on using the crap out of this one without my obsession of keeping everything perfect.
The following users liked this post:
Pure745 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a 2015 C2S Design Sport Edition....I don’t have any of the quirks you have mentioned. I just turned 44k and the factory warranty just expired the end of June....however I did purchase a Fidelity Platinum 3/36 warranty. I’ve only had one “failure” and that was the blower control module about a year ago covered under warranty.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Car looks fantastic! I’d drop it by a Porsche dealer and see what they say, maybe it needs a PDK update regarding that issue! Hoping to join the ranks soon, and will also be dailying mine more or less.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

Don't have any of the symptoms you have - mine is 4S so a little different, but that does not sound normal. I am north of 20K miles.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Thanks guys. I have it scheduled to go in to the dealership this weekend. I'm hoping that it's not a PDK problem. The inner (inexperienced) mechanic in me says that it's a pdk issue, the optimist says that it is probably something really simple.

I decided on the 991.1 because 9A1s are supposed to be bullet proof but I didn't even think to consider the PDK reliability. The fact that any issues with the PDK no matter how insignificant requires a total replacement is concerning. I'll update as I find out more info. Once I get into the swing of things, I may start a new thread with chronicling on how the car is being used. There just isn't enough information out there showing how usable these cars actually are. Maybe they're not, but we'll find out!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:16 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Thanks guys. I have it scheduled to go in to the dealership this weekend. I'm hoping that it's not a PDK problem. The inner (inexperienced) mechanic in me says that it's a pdk issue, the optimist says that it is probably something really simple.

I decided on the 991.1 because 9A1s are supposed to be bullet proof but I didn't even think to consider the PDK reliability. The fact that any issues with the PDK no matter how insignificant requires a total replacement is concerning. I'll update as I find out more info. Once I get into the swing of things, I may start a new thread with chronicling on how the car is being used. There just isn't enough information out there showing how usable these cars actually are. Maybe they're not, but we'll find out!
I would be really interested in this thread and would like to contribute! My recently purchased 991.1 has to be my daily driver due to our parking situation, so I’d really like to hear other’s experiences using the car in this way.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

There is a recent thread where others have posted their mileage milestones and many are using their cars as DDs. In regards to the PDK, just one more reason for a manual but I know people have personal reasons for chosing it so I will not judge.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ll be dailying a 991.1 in PDK as well due to parking issues, and well just because I want to do it! Will make a thread once it’s official.
sr5959 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Capt_and
Racer

I love manuals and have always had one in the house. However, we are moving to an area where traffic will be an issue. Since this is a daily, I had no choice but to go with PDK. No complaining though, the PDK is the best auto/dual clutch transmission I've ever driven and the shift sounds are intoxicating.

Yes, I saw that someone has 90k on the clock! That's encouraging. I wonder just how many miles I can put on it with just maintenance and minor repairs... There was a 996 turbo that was for sale with 590k on the clock.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Nothing helpful to say about your original questions. Sorry about that.

(story about buying 3 991.1s in succession)
This makes me feel oddly better about going Panamera SeH - 991.1 C4S - 991.2 4 GTS from 2014-2017. Even if our reasoning is nearly 180 degrees apart, it's reassuring that other people go searching for the "perfect" car.

The differences: I changed cars specifically to get a manual after feeling insufficiently involved with a PDK, and I really like yellow. My wife's Cayman S is racing yellow, I like how it stands out, and I actually notice the color while driving, which I don't with pretty much any other color (including my sapphire blue 911). I like AWD in a 911, even in the warm and dry, because of the improved traction and the way it pulls out of a skid. I like the 991.2 GTS's torque curve compared to the older GTS, and particularly like the mode-select dial on the steering wheel.

Yet despite those differences, I can still appreciate looking for the car that exactly pushes your buttons, when looking at cars in this price range.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,220 Likes on 449 Posts

Many congratulations on your Racing Yellow 991! Looks awesome and is of course the best colour for a 911!

My Racing Yellow car is a 991.2 Carrera T, my sole car and daily driver. Manual transmission and over 18,600 miles/smiles since April 2018.

Enjoy your car and I look forward to seeing/hearing more about it.
sr5959 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Nothing helpful to say about your original questions. Sorry about that.

This makes me feel oddly better about going Panamera SeH - 991.1 C4S - 991.2 4 GTS from 2014-2017. Even if our reasoning is nearly 180 degrees apart, it's reassuring that other people go searching for the "perfect" car.

The differences: I changed cars specifically to get a manual after feeling insufficiently involved with a PDK, and I really like yellow. My wife's Cayman S is racing yellow, I like how it stands out, and I actually notice the color while driving, which I don't with pretty much any other color (including my sapphire blue 911). I like AWD in a 911, even in the warm and dry, because of the improved traction and the way it pulls out of a skid. I like the 991.2 GTS's torque curve compared to the older GTS, and particularly like the mode-select dial on the steering wheel.

Yet despite those differences, I can still appreciate looking for the car that exactly pushes your buttons, when looking at cars in this price range.

Well this should make you feel even better... I've been through 7 cars from 2017-2019 searching for the ultimate car. That doesn't account for the other dozen cars on the side (and a couple of race cars) in that time period that I used as daily's up to this point. I'm very particular and impulsive so it says something that I went back to a .1 911 for round three and feel content with calling it good after this. I really wanted to like the .2s since they have carplay and I could buy new but they just didn't make the right sounds for me. I think you made a good choice!

Also should make you feel better, out of the guys in our little car group, I'm not the worst! One guy traded in Ferraris every few months to get in good with the dealer.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

These new transmissions need updates-recalibration once in a while. I brought my dad's SL63 AMG in because the transmission was very jerky at low speeds and would be very difficult to control from a stop. Since the car was out of warranty I was very worried about having to change the transmission. it ended up being a transmission update or reprogramming. It was amazing after that. So there is hope!

Quick Reply: New Racing Yellow 991.1 Questions