Sponsored by:

Advice on Egg Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y
If you get it repainted... how would a dealer in the future know, if it was done well?

its not like an accident and it showing up on carfax, etc.
Paint meter.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
Paint meter.
Didnt realize they were going over it that obsessively. 🙄 .. hopefully I’ll never have to sell mine.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:40 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
Paint meter.
Paint readings vary on all panels...sometimes as much as 20-40 microns. As long as new paint job is sanded down to the same range, tape lines not felt by hand, and orange peel is in ball park, a good repaint is near undetectable.

These are all things one needs to bring up to the painter before the repair begins. Good shops are capable, but you’ll pay more. Often, if just doing an insurance repair, some of the above boxes won’t be checked and it’s easy to tell a repaint. That’s because insurance companies are limiting the quality of the work a good shop is capable of doing by how much insurance is willing to pay them...things have definitely changed in last 10 years

whenever we do the repairs and sub to various body shops, our clients usually cover the difference to what insurance is paying and what the proper job SHOULD cost given our strict Quality Control
Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
I would drive up to Costa Mesa and ask Moe at Glistening Perfection for his opinion. Even if you end up not having it corrected there, I would value his insight.
I just wanted to second this.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:49 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn’t repaint it, I take it to the best detailer in town and have them do full paint correction and then apply the PPF.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Egging someones acr and causing this type of damage is terrible and just plain sucks. People are ignorant and don't value anyone elses property.

Several years and 911"s back I was driving down a small rural road and an object was thrown from a passing car at and hit the lower part of my car. Did not know what it was just heard the sound of contact.

Probably very surprising for them I pulled a "Steve MC Queen" high speed u-turn and dialed 911 at the same time. I ran them down while instructing the cops and we caught them in a small neighborhood surrounded by cop cars. Turned out to be a group of snotty nose high schoolers from my 2 sons high school. They had thrown a donut out of the car at the 911 as a joke. they told the cops they were freaked out that some crazy old guy would turn and chase them down at 90mph.

I told the cops to scare them and make the parents pick them up at the station so they thought about the next stupid thing they might do. I was luckyI just got some powered sugar on my wheel, this egging stuff is serious.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

^never waste a perfectly good donut.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

My house door was egged the first week I moved into my new neighbourhood, prob some dumb neighbour's kid. Still left a mark exactly the same as the op's car on my black front door. the door is black aluminium, I don't think I can get it fixed without repainting the whole door.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:05 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I wouldn’t repaint it, I take it to the best detailer in town and have them do full paint correction and then apply the PPF.
So after posting I've been told by multiple people that paint correction won't do anything. Apparently these scratches are so deep that it won't make any difference. This is kinda what I was hoping to do, but it doesn't really seem possible now.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmSC
So after posting I've been told by multiple people that paint correction won't do anything. Apparently these scratches are so deep that it won't make any difference. This is kinda what I was hoping to do, but it doesn't really seem possible now.
Personally, I would repaint it and screw thinking about resale cause I want to be happy while I own the car. Especially if it was obvious. My previous 718 Cayman was dinged on the rear, very minor, but no paint touch up would look good, so I took it to one of the best places in Miami to have the bumper resprayed. Didn’t think at all about resale value. I think I am middle of the road when it comes to OCD. I don’t wanna spend hours detailing my car every week, but I like when my car looks good. That’s why my car is at Moe’s having some work done to it. But if you can live with it, then that’s great too.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmSC
Figured that. After working my way through school in a body shop, I’ve seen the amount of damage an egg can do. Paint correction can do wonders, as many have said. Problem is there’s no paint where the egg etched your car. See first post.

good luck.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Guaji
Personally, I would repaint it and screw thinking about resale cause I want to be happy while I own the car. Especially if it was obvious. My previous 718 Cayman was dinged on the rear, very minor, but no paint touch up would look good, so I took it to one of the best places in Miami to have the bumper resprayed. Didn’t think at all about resale value. I think I am middle of the road when it comes to OCD. I don’t wanna spend hours detailing my car every week, but I like when my car looks good. That’s why my car is at Moe’s having some work done to it. But if you can live with it, then that’s great too.
This is where I'm leaning. It's covered by insurance so shouldn't cost much if anything out of pocket, I'm the one who has to drive the car for 3 years and it's something you can't unsee as soon as you see it. I put on a small piece of Xpel from Amazon over the mark and it's definitely still visible. It seems slightly better, but definitely still noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
Guaji (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Egging someones acr and causing this type of damage is terrible and just plain sucks. People are ignorant and don't value anyone elses property.

Several years and 911"s back I was driving down a small rural road and an object was thrown from a passing car at and hit the lower part of my car. Did not know what it was just heard the sound of contact.

Probably very surprising for them I pulled a "Steve MC Queen" high speed u-turn and dialed 911 at the same time. I ran them down while instructing the cops and we caught them in a small neighborhood surrounded by cop cars. Turned out to be a group of snotty nose high schoolers from my 2 sons high school. They had thrown a donut out of the car at the 911 as a joke. they told the cops they were freaked out that some crazy old guy would turn and chase them down at 90mph.

I told the cops to scare them and make the parents pick them up at the station so they thought about the next stupid thing they might do. I was luckyI just got some powered sugar on my wheel, this egging stuff is serious.
Way to go “old guy;” I love it!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:34 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Hopefully you don't PPF over those swirl marks. Hey you can always wrap it, at least you won't have to look at it .
Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Just wanted to update this (I'm sure everyone was just dying to find out...) I took it to Dave at Premier Motorsports here in Carson (LA area), and he did a fantastic job repainting the panels. Just incredible work, looks absolutely perfect. I can't speak highly enough of Dave as well, a great guy, and incredibly helpful and accommodating. Hopefully I'll never need to do any repainting again, but I can't imagine I'd ever go anywhere else.

Taking it to Moe probably tomorrow afternoon to get the clear bra put on it too. Thanks to everyone here for the recommendations, I'd have never known to find Dave and Moe if I hadn't seen their names on Rennlist. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Advice on Egg Damage