Sponsored by:

FVD vs AWE and Cargraphic valved x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019 | 07:21 AM
segermans
5th Gear

Default FVD vs AWE and Cargraphic valved x-pipe

Dear rennlisters,

I am looking for a new exhaust on my 991 4S to which a valved X-Pipe from AWE, FVD or Cargraphic are the most suitable solutions. The AWE Switchpath sounds, at least on video, exactly as what I am looking for. However, since I live in Europe the Switchpath is about 1000 euro's more expensive compared to the Cargraphic and FVD system. The Cargraphic sounds a lot lower and more grumbly than the AWE system, which I personally do not like that much. Therefore, I am really looking for some information on the FVD System. As far as I am aware, AWE uses smaller diameter piping compared to FVD and Cargraphic which could be the cause of the more aggresive and higher pitch sound of this system. Does any of you have real life experience with any of the systems above and can comment on the tone (and loudness) of the exhausts. Ideally, someone has experience with both the AWE and FVD exhaust and can comment on the differences in tone and loudness.

Looking forward to your answers!

Kind regards

Seger Tak
Old 07-08-2019 | 08:57 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by segermans
Dear rennlisters,

I am looking for a new exhaust on my 991 4S to which a valved X-Pipe from AWE, FVD or Cargraphic are the most suitable solutions. The AWE Switchpath sounds, at least on video, exactly as what I am looking for. However, since I live in Europe the Switchpath is about 1000 euro's more expensive compared to the Cargraphic and FVD system. The Cargraphic sounds a lot lower and more grumbly than the AWE system, which I personally do not like that much. Therefore, I am really looking for some information on the FVD System. As far as I am aware, AWE uses smaller diameter piping compared to FVD and Cargraphic which could be the cause of the more aggresive and higher pitch sound of this system. Does any of you have real life experience with any of the systems above and can comment on the tone (and loudness) of the exhausts. Ideally, someone has experience with both the AWE and FVD exhaust and can comment on the differences in tone and loudness.

Looking forward to your answers!

Kind regards

Seger Tak
AWE is pretty loud. I have FVD headers on both cars. I've only heard FVD race versions.... crazy loud and drone but that was for a race application.

I will say that FVD and Cargraphic are going to be significantly better quality than AWE. FVD uses M&M to make their exhaust components. The same company that makes the factory race cars' exhaust components.
Old 07-09-2019 | 09:53 AM
segermans
5th Gear

Thank you for the response. Good to know that FVD is supplied by M&M. I thought that Speedart also uses M&M components for their exhausts. I can find one video of a 991 with a Speedart xpipe, which shows the same lower tone as the cargraphic system. The FVD system might sound similar then..

I also came across Soul. It seems (at least on video) like AWE and Soul both offer a similar sound, with a higher pitch compared to Cargraphic, Speedart etc etc.

Anyone with some real life experience on the FVD system vs AWE or Soul would be greatly appreciated. As well as a video on the FVD Xpipe.

Old 07-09-2019 | 10:08 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by segermans
Thank you for the response. Good to know that FVD is supplied by M&M. I thought that Speedart also uses M&M components for their exhausts. I can find one video of a 991 with a Speedart xpipe, which shows the same lower tone as the cargraphic system. The FVD system might sound similar then..

I also came across Soul. It seems (at least on video) like AWE and Soul both offer a similar sound, with a higher pitch compared to Cargraphic, Speedart etc etc.

Anyone with some real life experience on the FVD system vs AWE or Soul would be greatly appreciated. As well as a video on the FVD Xpipe.
If you were In the USA then I would really encourage you to go with Soul. They are fine for the money. Abroad makes the shipping cost a factor. I have had my hands on and tools on all of these brands. The FVD isn't as pretty as the soul but the welds are the best. Soul; IMO should spend more time and effort on construction than the finish they do - they are not bad, just not FVD/Cargraphic. AWE is fine but pretty average looking and built IMO.

Keep in mind that a lot of videos just don't do any system justice and you never know what other components are included. If you are just swapping out an X pipe then the sound shouldn't change much at all between vendors; if at all.

If you don't like low pitch then I recommend checking out a full catback and recommend IPE. I LOVE mine. It's not loud at all with the valves closed and with it open it is glorious. At the local gatherings; on more than one occasion, GT3 owners have asked how to get their cars to sound like my "pedestrian" C2S

Don't get too much decision paralysis. Just pick one you like and go for it! You won't regret it or care what the others offer when you have one on your car.
The following users liked this post:
Btcing (08-03-2020)
Old 07-09-2019 | 10:38 AM
segermans
5th Gear

Again thanks for the response. IPE has always been one of my favorites in terms of sound. Unfortunately, the catback system is simply out of my budget. I am looking to spend a maximum of 3500 euro's (about 4000 USD) installed. Considering taxes and shipping costs that would give me a budget of 3000 USD resale price in the USA.

I am not a believer of that there is no difference in tone across different x-pipes. I personally think that video's do not get bass and loudness across well, but that they do give a good indication on tone (which is important to me!). That is why a video on the FVD system would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: FVD vs AWE and Cargraphic valved x-pipe