PPI Question/Possible Red Flag on 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Eclipser
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Question PPI Question/Possible Red Flag on 991

Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing my first 991.1 . Found a seller with a seemingly good 2012 specimen at 30k miles. Was ready to move pending a PPI as we agreed on a price but this issue popped up regarding damaged exhaust headers, how much of a red flag should this be? The Porsche rep seemed to indicate the car was good otherwise (Pending some loose ends that are relatively small), but I'm puzzled as to how the exhaust headers might have been damaged like this. Either way this definitely puts a damper on the purchase unless the seller wants to cover it, but I was curious to get your thoughts as I'm new to buying this model.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

My guess. Had aftermarket headers on the car. Then swapped back to OE for the sale. Something broke in the process.

Or, he ran over something in the road.

We've seen guys here drive over curbs. Even parking curbs, because they forgot they were there.

Just fix it and move on. Negotiate the price.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

How bad do u want car? Like lex said negotiate accordingly and purchase or move on It doesn't seem like there are any underlying problems according to the info u have provided.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Yeah, if that is all they found wrong that's not a big deal. Like others said negotiate and buy the car.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

+2 on what Lex says.

Its a car, **** happens. And your going to drive fast at some point too. Your also going to run over something at some point. Not an "if", a "when". You'll want to pickup some Tire & Wheel Insurance, plus maybe consider a Windshield/Glass policy.

Your going to love that 991. Post a build sheet and some pictures.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 PM
cdown007
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap on those prices... replaced my rear deck struts with OEM replacements off Amazon - think $25 for the set, easy install and that detail - the buttons come out easy, its a crap design with the cup holder right there. Just maintain once it in awhile.
Motor trend did a video regarding exhaust headers - you can bang the **** out of them, like full blown denting, it won't affect the HP or anything else. Now if you do have a leaky exhaust due to head gasket leak - different story, but easy solution. But for the money on those headers you can get second hand cheaper or buy aftermarket.

Attempted to find out what P car your looking at, but I purchased my '13 991.1 Base (MSRP 104) for $60K w/ 24k miles. Its all about the talking and negotiating. If you already came upon a price, best you can get now is maybe another 1 - 2K more off.
Good luck, its an awesome car!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eclipser

Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing my first 991.1 . Found a seller with a seemingly good 2012 specimen at 30k miles. Was ready to move pending a PPI as we agreed on a price but this issue popped up regarding damaged exhaust headers, how much of a red flag should this be? The Porsche rep seemed to indicate the car was good otherwise (Pending some loose ends that are relatively small), but I'm puzzled as to how the exhaust headers might have been damaged like this. Either way this definitely puts a damper on the purchase unless the seller wants to cover it, but I was curious to get your thoughts as I'm new to buying this model.
Replace them as it states, maybe with aftermarket headers if that’s something you would be willing to do. Look up indie shop price to do this and then negotiate if that’s something you are comfortable having to do after purchasing car.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I would see if the seller will lower the price you have negotiated by $4k and take the car to an indy shop and get a second opinion, and have them replace/repair what is needed. But what did the seller tell you when you showed them the findings? I assume they know, unless there were several previous owners that never disclosed it.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default any indy can probably

Take care of this stuff for under 1k (call one and ask) What did rev report state ? Only worry for me would be if modified was it tracked but rev report should show number of times it hit rev limiter (i think but perhaps someone more knowledgable on the black box can chime in). Did you ask if was ever tracked or autox'd ?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Eclipser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Take care of this stuff for under 1k (call one and ask) What did rev report state ? Only worry for me would be if modified was it tracked but rev report should show number of times it hit rev limiter (i think but perhaps someone more knowledgable on the black box can chime in). Did you ask if was ever tracked or autox'd ?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, really helpful. Negotiating the deal still.

Over rev report is attached, Porsche dealer mentioned no red flags here and in overspeed range 3-6 is what to watch out for, correct me if he's wrong. Seller mentioned he never took it to track or modded it, although he's not the first owner so no idea what the story is on previous owners.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

That is an excellent rev report.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:49 PM
ericmeds
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed this is an excellent report. Prices seem very high though - Rear deck struts from Porsche for example are $90 and 1-2 minutes of labor.

QUOTE=Eclipser;15934798]

Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing my first 991.1 . Found a seller with a seemingly good 2012 specimen at 30k miles. Was ready to move pending a PPI as we agreed on a price but this issue popped up regarding damaged exhaust headers, how much of a red flag should this be? The Porsche rep seemed to indicate the car was good otherwise (Pending some loose ends that are relatively small), but I'm puzzled as to how the exhaust headers might have been damaged like this. Either way this definitely puts a damper on the purchase unless the seller wants to cover it, but I was curious to get your thoughts as I'm new to buying this model.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Eclipser

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, really helpful. Negotiating the deal still.

Over rev report is attached, Porsche dealer mentioned no red flags here and in overspeed range 3-6 is what to watch out for, correct me if he's wrong. Seller mentioned he never took it to track or modded it, although he's not the first owner so no idea what the story is on previous owners.
Damn near perfect. Split the cost in your offer. If this is exactly the car you want. Come on in . . .
Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Eclipser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Damn near perfect. Split the cost in your offer. If this is exactly the car you want. Come on in . . .
Ok just negotiated it down, so here's the build for anyone curious:

Price: $121,635.00
Exterior: Platinum Silver Metallic
Interior: Black leather front seats
Warranty Start: February 09, 2012

BASE The new 911 Carrera S
176 Sport Exhaust System
1H Platinum Silver Metallic
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
276 Automatically dimming mirrors
342 Seat heating (front)
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
428 20-inch SportDesign wheel
541 Seat Ventilation (Front)
583 Smoking package
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
630 Light Design Package
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package
651 Electric sunroof
658 Power Steering Plus
672 Navigation Module
680 BOSE® Surround Sound System
690 SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver and HD Radio® Receiver
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors
762 Launch vehicle
AJ Black leather front seats
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)

32k miles, managed to get purchase price down to $55,000 after your guys' feedback and he agreed to repair some minor items. It was listed in the low 60's before. How did I do on the price point? Proceeding with purchase atm.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Seems very fair to me..

Quick Reply: PPI Question/Possible Red Flag on 991