Sponsored by:

Ducktail Install problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM
SFITR
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ducktail Install problem

Hi guys, can someone enlighten me what parts are needed to install an oem ducktail? I bought a genuine used oem ducktail for my 2013 C4S but it seems I have some missing parts. I only got the plastic spoiler ducktail without any other parts. It seems that it needs a different base to be installed after the retractable spoiler is removed.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

Please refer to page 372 and 373 - you'll find a diagram and the associated part numbers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fqV...PVH4YM9Db/view
Old 06-25-2019, 10:51 PM
waizc2s
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are replacing the standard pop up spoiler I think there is more than just changing out the pop up for a duck tail. Things like deactivating or removing pop up spoiler motor, coding car, sunroof adjustment, center console switch, etc...Don’t know all the details but it is a little bit of a project.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM
SFITR
Track Day

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Please refer to page 372 and 373 - you'll find a diagram and the associated part numbers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fqV...PVH4YM9Db/view
Thanks for your replies, I also got a PDF from a fellow member. I need to know if there is the need to change part #3 marked in a red arrow as it looks perfectly identical as the one installed on the car now. I mean, if I remove the pop up spoiler mechanism, can I re use mine?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need that part also, it's what the duck tail mounts to. The seller should have given you this as well.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:19 AM
SFITR
Track Day

Originally Posted by flatsick
You need that part also, it's what the duck tail mounts to. The seller should have given you this as well.
Unfortunately I only got the oem ducktail without any hardware.

According to an installation PDF , the ducktail mounts on # 6 and then to # 3.

The thing is that # 3 is exactly like whats currently installed in the car now. I don't want to order a new one and find out that it wasn't necessary.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:22 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SFITR
Unfortunately I only got the oem ducktail without any hardware.

According to an installation PDF , the ducktail mounts on # 6 and then to # 3.

The thing is that # 3 is exactly like whats currently installed in the car now. I don't want to order a new one and find out that it wasn't necessary.
I’d imagine that the main difference in #3 and what you have now is that the stock piece has the motor for lifting the original spoiler.

You can test fit fit to see if it will mount to what’s on the car now (I don’t think it will, but I did this over a year ago and don’t have that car anymore).

If it DOES allow you to mount the ducktail, then it is imperative that your car is coded for a fixed wing spoiler so that you don’t accidentally raise the motor and damage your ducktail and grille.

My recommendation would be to install the correct part; but if not, I’d test fit first, then get the car coded before doing the full install. Or at least pull the fuse.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

This is what the 991

Sport Design Ducktail looks like . This is what your piece plus mounting hardware should look like.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:07 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Call a local dealer and see if you can get the part numbers from them.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:13 PM
SFITR
Track Day

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
I’d imagine that the main difference in #3 and what you have now is that the stock piece has the motor for lifting the original spoiler.

You can test fit fit to see if it will mount to what’s on the car now (I don’t think it will, but I did this over a year ago and don’t have that car anymore).

If it DOES allow you to mount the ducktail, then it is imperative that your car is coded for a fixed wing spoiler so that you don’t accidentally raise the motor and damage your ducktail and grille.

My recommendation would be to install the correct part; but if not, I’d test fit first, then get the car coded before doing the full install. Or at least pull the fuse.

Just my $0.02
Am getting everything except the base, #3 will remove the motor mechanism and see if it will fit. If does not, I will just order the base. I live in Malta and Porsche parts are sky high here!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

Just my $0.02
Is it difficult to turn off the wing motor without removing the motor, and turning it into a fixed wing?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
Is it difficult to turn off the wing motor without removing the motor, and turning it into a fixed wing?
Easy. Just unplug it. There’s a connector by the motor. You’ll still have to get it reprogrammed.

Quick Reply: Ducktail Install problem