Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T manual vs GTS manual...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Carrera T manual vs GTS manual...

Anyone driven both? How do the gearbox compare? Is the GTS have the normal longer throw gearbox or is it tighter like that oh the T?
Old 06-21-2019, 01:14 PM
997gt3rs4liter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Carrera T with a Cobb Accessport Tune is the move. GTS power with T feel and price.

Here is some literature on the T's gearbox from Porsche: https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9.../transmission/

I believe both come with the same 7-speed manual unit; however, the T is fitted with a short throw kit.
The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

I've driven both but at different stages of use. The GTS I just drove had similar throw to my C4S manual but much looser as it had been tracked heavily.

It's all about how much you want to spend. The GTS is AWD with larger brakes and heavier. The T is rear-wheel drive lighter and with smaller brakes.

Aftermarket is wide open as to mods, again money and if you want to risk warranty on a new car/CPO.

Best is to drive them back to back. You can't go wrong as whatever you do, the end result is a great car. Have fun looking.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:41 PM
KP993
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 14 Posts

My 19 GTS came with the short throw somehow. I believe 17 and 18 came with the long throw.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Own a GTS, have driven the T at the Atlanta PEC - prefer the short throw, especially on the track. I don’t track the GTS so I’m fine with it as is. Might upgrade to a short throw some day.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

If both manual and stock, T hands down. Its more fun and ive driven both. The gts is a better car out of the box but only with pdk in my opinion after driving back to back (gts guys dont kill me). The gts with manual has noticeable lag when driven back to back with the Base setup. Its real noticeable if you dont shift at really high rpm. Pdk compensates for having to come off boost and honestly a pdk gts is the only car i wouldnt even touch with mods. Its perfect. On the other hand i would change the shifter and tune a manual gts.
A manual T running a stage 1 tune is like a gts with hyper throttle response. A tuned gts pulls like a turbo. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (06-23-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:32 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Let's be clear with facts. The T feels agile and has quicker engine response. Because it's turbos are smaller. And it's boost is less. So it's turbos spool up more quickly.
The GTS (or C2S/X51) has 23% more torque. Boost takes a little longer to spool up because it takes longer to get higher boost with bigger turbos,. Compressing air to a higher pressure takes time and power.
But when the GTS turbos do spool up, it feels like a muscle car compared to the T. The lag of any of Porsche's turbos can be decreased by replacing OEM cats with catless pipes or race cats.
All the 3.0 TT engines can be super-powered with a good tune. But tunes work via higher boost, and hence have more boost lag. Less lag? change out cats.
If you don't want any lag, a 3.0 TT is not for you. Get a 991.1 X51 or GTS, or a GT4 or GT3 IFyou don't like turbo turbo lag.
Pretty simple, huh?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Not my experience with my GTS manual coupe at all. Turbo lag just isn't an issue. It might be because I drive it more like a naturally aspirated engine. I keep the revs up above 3K and I am always in Sports +, unless the engine is cold, it is raining or I am purposely taking it easy. The turbos are pre-boosted in sports +.

I ordered mine before the T was available, and I haven't driven a T to compare, but the GTS with SPASM is a fun, fast and nimble car. As is the T, or so I've heard.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

When I drove the PEC T it had RAS and I kept it within 2-3K of redline the whole time and while all the power anyone would ever need (and then some on the road) it felt considerably down on power to the GTS. The GTS is waaaaay more power than you need for the street, and had I driven the T first (wasn’t available when I ordered the GTS) I would have ordered one and saved myself $30K. That said I have Sport Cats, RAS, SPASM, and rarely have it below 3K, and not below 4K when spirited driving and is a beast with zero discernible turbo lag. I do like the T shifter better just not ready to make the change at this point
Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

There's not lag in Sport+ with the GTS. Sport+ keeps the boost on, and ready to go.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:14 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb
There's not lag in Sport+ with the GTS. Sport+ keeps the boost on, and ready to go.
The lag doesn't bother me, but some people keep harping on it. So that's why I talked about it...
But I do keep my revs up, and drive only in Sport or Sport+ with my PDK mostly in manual mode. In Sport+, I will sometimes use Auto mode.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:17 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The GTS is just the better and more complete car. If you have the money to spend, spend it. If you want to save money, get the T.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:59 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Sheesh the gts guys got defensive. I knew that would stir the money pot as is the nature of the OP’s question. Lol. The point i was making is that the gts setup is more suitable for pdk in my eyes. Its a fast car both AT and MT, and night and day faster than a base especially at speed. No argument there whatsoever. But even a gt3 has dead spots in power delivery and needs revs, and i drove that too. Im getting it next. Just was offering a comparative opinion on what happens the first couple seconds when you put your foot down, having driven both im stock form back to back.
OP should drive both manuals back to back to feel the difference.
Steve you need to drive my T to see what the throttle reaponse feels like, with the tune/headers/cats/high flow filter and report back here with some empirical data. See you Mon at Autobahn
Old 06-22-2019, 12:27 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I did not drive a T since one cannot be had with a drop top but I did drive a base car, as well as an S and 4S before I bought my Targa GTS, with the manual. Those that drive sticks don't do so for the quickest speed although some very experienced track rats are faster than those with PDKs. It is all about the experience and if I could not buy a 991 with a stick I would not be on Rennlist. And when I think of lag I think about the 930 I had years ago...the GTS has no lag to speak of so I am not sure what those that keep mentioning it are talking about.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I did not drive a T since one cannot be had with a drop top but I did drive a base car, as well as an S and 4S before I bought my Targa GTS, with the manual. Those that drive sticks don't do so for the quickest speed although some very experienced track rats are faster than those with PDKs. It is all about the experience and if I could not buy a 991 with a stick I would not be on Rennlist. And when I think of lag I think about the 930 I had years ago...the GTS has no lag to speak of so I am not sure what those that keep mentioning it are talking about.
Well said Bob

Quick Reply: Carrera T manual vs GTS manual...