Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like everything worked out, keep us updated post fix
Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My local dealer (I'm not from the US...) change my water pump on a preventive way (they installed the new design of water pump). My pump wasn't leaking or making noise but on a conversation with the shop manager, he did recognized that he has seen some water pump failures and he offer me to change mine before it failed and created some additional damage. He didn't specify what other damage could be caused, but I guess that it can't be minor if he made that decision. He also mentioned that when the pump goes.... is very fast. It doesn't give you time ro react and you can end up parked to the side of the road. He didn't tell me what other parts they change but I will stop by and talk to him and see if I can find more info.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Talked to my local dealer last night and he told me that when they change a water pump, it is also mandatory to change the valve block so that's what they did. He also mentioned that lately they've seen more cars coming for the same problem and that the most dangerous thing is that most owners won't stop the car when they get a warning of high temperature. Because of this and in order to avoid any major damage, they been changing pumps even before they fail if you go and talk to them about the problem (they are not doing a recall.... they just do it if you go to the dealership and ask for it).
Old 07-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Talked to my local dealer last night and he told me that when they change a water pump, it is also mandatory to change the valve block so that's what they did. He also mentioned that lately they've seen more cars coming for the same problem and that the most dangerous thing is that most owners won't stop the car when they get a warning of high temperature. Because of this and in order to avoid any major damage, they been changing pumps even before they fail if you go and talk to them about the problem (they are not doing a recall.... they just do it if you go to the dealership and ask for it).
That is a good idea but how does one know when the revised part started being used?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

I just had my 2nd year service done in my 2018 C4S. The service department had no information on any TSBs or recalls on the water pump or possible preemptive replacement.
Mine is fine. They also had no knowledge about when the supposed switch happened it at all it did.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

New Water Pump number should be 0PB-121-010-A and replaces 9A2-106-039-72 and 9A2-106-039-73
Old 07-26-2019, 07:38 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Update

I picked up my car yesterday at the dealership in Santa Barbara after the water pump replacement/repair. On their paperwork the only item cited for replacement was the water pump. No valve block or valve block part number was cited. Part number for the pump on my paperwork was PA0PB-121-005-A. My car is a 2017 Carrera S (although the dealer had it identified as a 4s which it is not).

Here are the specifics:
(1) Air cleaner housing R/R
(2) Exhaust System R/R
(3) Coolant drained/filled
(4) Coolant pump R/R
Parts: Coolant pump PA0PB-121-005-A, antifreeze 000-043-305-75 3.785 liter
(5) Coolant system bleed
(6) Test drive

They also did a "World Class Inspection" for lighting, fluid leaks, suspension components, etc. Which I appreciate because I bought the car from a non-Porsche dealer.

It took the dealer about 5 business days to complete the repair. At least half of that was waiting for a water pump to be shipped to them.

The 80 mi drive home was uneventful (no coolant issues) and I checked the coolant level later and it was "full". No puddles behind the car.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:00 PM
bigben0143
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where exactly does the coolant leak from when the pump does "fail" . Kind of nervous about my 29k mile early build 2017 C2. I have had it a couple thousand miles and just recently had to top off the coolant with about 24oz to get the red ball to float in the center. So it was fairly low.

I have seen multiple posts of failed pumps but have not seen any pictures of where the coolent actually leaks from or of the bad water pump after removal. Does someone have information on the mechanism for pump failure and how/where it causes the coolant to leak? I just changed the oil on my car and don't see any major signs of seepage anywhere around the water pump but I don't know where exactly to focus on.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bigben0143
So where exactly does the coolant leak from when the pump does "fail" . Kind of nervous about my 29k mile early build 2017 C2. I have had it a couple thousand miles and just recently had to top off the coolant with about 24oz to get the red ball to float in the center. So it was fairly low.

I have seen multiple posts of failed pumps but have not seen any pictures of where the coolent actually leaks from or of the bad water pump after removal. Does someone have information on the mechanism for pump failure and how/where it causes the coolant to leak? I just changed the oil on my car and don't see any major signs of seepage anywhere around the water pump but I don't know where exactly to focus on.

Thanks!
Mine showed coolant dripping from just behind the pulley. If yours is failing you should see the tell tale puddles under the car. Mine was visibly dripping while the motor was running. If you are looking under the car you should see evidence. Porsche dealer service was very tight lipped about root causes for the failures. I would keep the coolant level topped up and routinely check under the car for puddles.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Failure-After Effects