Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 C4s turbo problems. Has anyone had this happen??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
I dont think that they are owned by autonation. This is a family owned dealership with multiple brands in extreme northern Jersey. They used to have a good service department but they told me they are missing half of their techs due to people leaving. I used to deal with a very good service writer. She was there for 20 years but she is now gone. I had a long conversation with a sales manager ( no one from service wanted to talk) who told me that they called Germany, and Germany is not willing as of now to send them the vacuum hoses. I just dont get it. The dealership breaks the vacuum hoses and the message to me is " Hey, we tried, what do you want us to do " it is a bad situation to be in. You are stuck paying 1800 a month for the lease, and the dealership rips the hoses when they remove the turbos and then they give you attitude saying " you are being unreasonable, we are trying. Just keep on paying your lease. Ir is the beginning of 4 weeks and absolutely no date when I can expect the part to arrive from Germany. I just dont know what to do to get my car back on the road
Perhaps OP should have the car flat-bedded to another dealer? The current dealer seems to be technically challenged.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
OP is apparently past lemon law coverage, so no relief there. He can try to sue via small claims court for his damages, this could motivate the dealer to do right once they're served with papers.

Buy-back may not be an option on a leased vehicle.

Who is leasing the car to the OP? OP needs to make them aware of your predicament and see if they have some leverage to get the work done, at the end of the lease, it's their car.

Good luck.
If this were CA, lemon law buy-back of a leased vehicle is no problem. I know from personal experience. OP will need to check lemon law in the state where they signed the lease paperwork and took delivery of the car. If a CPO, OP will need to determine where the car was first delivered, as that generally determines where lemon law coverage applies
Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lemmon law applies in NJ and my car is over 24 months old, so lemon law doesnt apply. I can tell you that Monday I called PCNA as some had suggested and within literally 15 minutes the GM called me and told me for sure they would pay the next lease payment. Next promissed date for return of vehicle is a week from yesterday. Let's see if that happens. The moral of story is dont bring your car to a dealerships that is lacking a full compliment of technicians
Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

Lemmon law applies in NJ and my car is over 24 months old, so lemon law doesnt apply. I can tell you that Monday I called PCNA as some had suggested and within literally 15 minutes the GM called me and told me for sure they would pay the next lease payment. Next promissed date for return of vehicle is a week from yesterday. Let's see if that happens. The moral of story is dont bring your car to a dealerships that is lacking a full compliment of technicians
Good luck! You still won't know if they have fixed it because of varying explanations such as defective turbo design, Germany refusing to send parts etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good point. This is not a car to buy. Only lease
Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

If your leasing it through PFS, you might have some leverage to get out off your lease early.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation OP.

For what its worth, I also drive a leased 991.2 (Base Carrera). Sounds like I had an identical initial presentation as well... my car began underboosting, and gave me an "engine controller warning, OK to drive". Took it to the dealer, and was told that the wastegate actuators seized up because of road salt (??? still question this, but the car is driven daily in Chicago). Because the wastegates and turbos are one piece, they replaced both turbos/wastegates under warranty.

Fortunately, it seems, my dealer gave me a new Panamera as a loaner during the entire ordeal, and the entire turn around time was about 2 weeks.

Best of luck in getting this resolved.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Good to hear they said they will pay the month lease payment, but based on prior track record, believe it only when you see it.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Took it to the dealer, and was told that the wastegate actuators seized up because of road salt (??? still question this, but the car is driven daily in Chicago). Because the wastegates and turbos are one piece, they replaced both turbos/wastegates under warranty.
Could you please elaborate on this? Why did they suspect road salt and winter driving? I drive mine all year round in New England and haven't noticed any problems. But I don't need to drive when the roads are terrible.
Maybe someone else can comment too? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:16 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnandN
Could you please elaborate on this? Why did they suspect road salt and winter driving? I drive mine all year round in New England and haven't noticed any problems. But I don't need to drive when the roads are terrible.
Maybe someone else can comment too? Thanks.
So as a background, I use my car every single day of the year here in Chicago. Winter storms, etc. My car has about 20k miles in 14 months...my turbo failure happened at about 15k miles. Of note, 1500 or so of those miles were on track.

I documented this in a thread for my car, but basically the car had a fault show up where it was under-boosting and the "engine controller" warning came up. The first time, the dealer actually thought it was a fluke, cleared the code and gave the car back. A few days later, the fault occurred again. This time, they dug into it further and their official diagnosis was wastegate actuator arm seizing. The suspected culprit behind this was road salt, per the techs. They actually told me that there were documented cases of this on other cars, though not at my specific dealership. They ended up sending the turbos back to Porsche for analysis (apparently). It was pointed out on my thread by another poster that later 991.2 and 992 have a cover over this actuator arm now.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

So as a background, I use my car every single day of the year here in Chicago. Winter storms, etc. My car has about 20k miles in 14 months...my turbo failure happened at about 15k miles. Of note, 1500 or so of those miles were on track.

I documented this in a thread for my car, but basically the car had a fault show up where it was under-boosting and the "engine controller" warning came up.
Did the fault actually state under-boosting or did you only observe it by output from the boost gage? If you observed less than normal boost on the gage, either with or without a fault specifying it, what levels were typically observed?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I dont think that they are owned by autonation. This is a family owned dealership with multiple brands in extreme northern Jersey. They used to have a good service department but they told me they are missing half of their techs due to people leaving. I used to deal with a very good service writer. She was there for 20 years but she is now gone. I had a long conversation with a sales manager ( no one from service wanted to talk) who told me that they called Germany, and Germany is not willing as of now to send them the vacuum hoses. I just dont get it. The dealership breaks the vacuum hoses and the message to me is " Hey, we tried, what do you want us to do " it is a bad situation to be in. You are stuck paying 1800 a month for the lease, and the dealership rips the hoses when they remove the turbos and then they give you attitude saying " you are being unreasonable, we are trying. Just keep on paying your lease. Ir is the beginning of 4 weeks and absolutely no date when I can expect the part to arrive from Germany. I just dont know what to do to get my car back on the road
So the dealer is Jack Daniels Motors. It is the only Porsche dealership in "extreme northern Jersey".

Beware, Rennlisters.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP. Glad you are getting the lease payment, but I can't believe they are not giving you a loaner as well. A good loaner, too.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by verstraete
Did the fault actually state under-boosting or did you only observe it by output from the boost gage? If you observed less than normal boost on the gage, either with or without a fault specifying it, what levels were typically observed?
The fault did not state under-boosting, but the PIWIS picked that up per the techs. The gauge did show that boost was low...would go a max of 7 PSI IIRC.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
So the dealer is Jack Daniels Motors. It is the only Porsche dealership in "extreme northern Jersey".

Beware, Rennlisters.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP. Glad you are getting the lease payment, but I can't believe they are not giving you a loaner as well. A good loaner, too.
Thought so. Not surprised.

At all.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:32 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

The fault did not state under-boosting, but the PIWIS picked that up per the techs. The gauge did show that boost was low...would go a max of 7 PSI IIRC.
Good to know. My C4S used to show at least 12-13 psi boost in sport. These days, 2 yrs later, I don’t seem to read any boost at all. A few psi at most. I have my second year service in a few weeks. I will ask. No warnings though.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C4s turbo problems. Has anyone had this happen??