Help with key remote functions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 PM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with key remote functions

Hello,
I have the convenience option for keyless entry and ignition, and have recently noticed that the remote buttons on keyfob 1 does not function. However, the keyless entry and drive features still function. With the key for in my possession, I am still able to unlock the door handle (touch sensor) and drive the car. It’s only if I attempt to operate the lock/unlock functions by physically pressing the remote keyfob buttons (transmitter) that is inoperative.
I replaced the keyfob battery CR2032 with a new battery - to no avail. The LED light on the keyfob is bright and flashes when I press any of the keyfob buttons.

These button remote functions work fine with my spare key (key 2), so I believe the receiver functions on the car are fine.

Does anyone know if there is a reset function for the ECU that can reset the car’s “pairing” with a specific key?
Is there another way to diagnose the keyfob (without paying $$$ at the dealer)?

Thanks for any help.

- Sanjeev
2012 991 Carrera S
Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

could be there is dirt and debris stuck in between the buttons and the sensors - much like when your tv remote does not work because crud got stuck in between the buttons.

take the fob apart and clean it out and see if that helps

check out YouTube for DIY

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 06-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:42 PM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I’ll take the keyfob apart and clean it next.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:58 PM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

OK, Problem FIXED.

I tried a quick fix (based on some other forum posts) which appears to have done the trick. ie. I now have a functional keyfob with all remote functions working. Unfortunately, I really can’t explain why this worked (!) - it ended up being somewhat trial-and-error until the key functions. However, this was all of maybe 10 minutes, so worth a try if you find yourself in the same situation.

Steps -
1. Started with a locked car (using either the functioning key, or the door button)
2. Use the emergency key insert in the driver’s side door to unlock the car
- at this point, the alarm set off (wear earplugs!! This is painful inside a garage
- now I scrambled with the remote buttons to get the alarm to shut off
- it took a few tries (lock unlock button pressing), but the alarm did go off, and the car was unlocked
3. then re-attempt to use the keyfob remote buttons to re-lock the car - Voila, it worked!
4. Tested a few lock/unlock cycles with both keyfobs - Success. Both keyfobs are now working.

Beats having to pay the dealer to either re-code the remote locking, or (heaven forbid) pay to replace
and recode an new keyfob!

FWIW - my car is now 7 years old (~45k miles) and I have had very few electrical problems. If I remember
correctly, the is the first time an electrical quirk has popped up on this car. Not so on several other cars that I’ve owned -
(BMW’s, Audi’s) over the last 20 years or so. Of all the (German) cars I’ve owned, the 991 has been the most reliable by far.

Quick Reply: Help with key remote functions