Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:47 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

I also had the same experience as the OP. I drove a Manual T and a Carrera PDK (and manual GT4) back to back. All drove great and had great performance.

Then a few months later I drove a Carrera Base and felt something was lacking. I was thinking may it felt like it had less performance but now perhaps the shifter was the difference.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:03 AM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had my T for almost a year now and just recently changed to the Numeric shifter.

The OEM short shifter now has the larger 2mm spring, so it's much stiffer than previous years. It's really good. To echo comments above, also having owned an S2000 for 8 years, it's an 8 - the S2000 was a 10.

The Numeric is substantially better and improves the feel as much as possible - makes the shift feel a 9.5. The only thing keeping it from a 10 is the narrow gates. The Numeric is very mechanical feeling and deliberate. I initially ordered the 1.5mm spring and it was much less stiff than the OEM T shifter. Fortunately, I live close enough that I was able to drive over and swap it out for the 2mm stiffer spring that is just a bit more than the OEM.

Swapping it out is very easy and straightforward. Taking my time and being very careful, it took me 1.5 hours in a sweltering garage. I could do it in half the time now or faster.

Once installed, the actual shift height might be a millimeter or two higher than stock...might just be me.

100% absolutely would do this again. Still considering the cables, might be overkill for a street car.

Here's some side by side pictures - the stock is mostly plastic but gets the job done:

The following users liked this post:
egrossman (07-06-2020)
Old 04-17-2024, 08:35 AM
pczuj
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt 4 gear selector in 7th gear

So to guys who did the retrofit

is the gt4 selector 98142401020 working with 7th gear for 991.2 cs?

Porsche service for carrera T and carrera s shows same selector 991-424-010-01 but you can see on the pictures that for t it looks shorter than for c2s
Old 04-17-2024, 09:47 AM
pczuj
4th Gear

Default part number?

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
I've had my T for almost a year now and just recently changed to the Numeric shifter.

The OEM short shifter now has the larger 2mm spring, so it's much stiffer than previous years. It's really good. To echo comments above, also having owned an S2000 for 8 years, it's an 8 - the S2000 was a 10.

The Numeric is substantially better and improves the feel as much as possible - makes the shift feel a 9.5. The only thing keeping it from a 10 is the narrow gates. The Numeric is very mechanical feeling and deliberate. I initially ordered the 1.5mm spring and it was much less stiff than the OEM T shifter. Fortunately, I live close enough that I was able to drive over and swap it out for the 2mm stiffer spring that is just a bit more than the OEM.

Swapping it out is very easy and straightforward. Taking my time and being very careful, it took me 1.5 hours in a sweltering garage. I could do it in half the time now or faster.

Once installed, the actual shift height might be a millimeter or two higher than stock...might just be me.

100% absolutely would do this again. Still considering the cables, might be overkill for a street car.

Here's some side by side pictures - the stock is mostly plastic but gets the job done:

your shifter was much shorter than 7g from c2s. Maybe you have pic with part number
Old 04-17-2024, 10:43 AM
MingusDew
Burning Brakes

Received 1,054 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by pczuj
your shifter was much shorter than 7g from c2s. Maybe you have pic with part number
The T has a factory short shifter, same as GT4. It is not the same shifter as the C2S.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:24 AM
Phikel
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

5 hours to install the shifter only is crazy, I installed the Numeric shifter and cables in 5 hours. There are a few decent videos out there on the center console breakdown necessary for the shifter swap. My wife drives a 2016 Spyder with the factory short shifter, the feel was night and day to the feel of the factory 911 GTS shifter which convinced me to upgrade. The Numeric unit is a complete level beyond the factory short shifter in mechanical feel, I wanted that and am very pleased but others may not like the mechanical feel and level of input necessary to make the shifts, I did go with the heavier springs which keeps the shifter shaft tight with zero movement.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:25 AM
pczuj
4th Gear

Default Part number

So maybe you know the part number for carrera T and does it have 7 gears (gt4 is 6 I believe)

Last edited by pczuj; 04-17-2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:07 PM
MingusDew
Burning Brakes

Received 1,054 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by pczuj
So maybe you know the part number for carrera T and does it have 7 gears (gt4 is 6 I believe)
I don’t have the part number. The shifter works the same regardless of the number of
gears in the transmission. The shifter just pulls/pushes on cables connected to the transmission.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:28 PM
pczuj
4th Gear

Default I know

My idea is to order from Porsche the shorter gear shift from carrera T but they insist part number is the same for both

Quick Reply: Carrera T short throw shifter