Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a '17 911 GTS

Are there any issues with lowering a '17 GTS down to the GT3 ride he
height?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

an increase in front bumper scrapes is probably the worst you'll get... may need to adjust your approach angle, or if you have front lift you'd be okay
Old 06-05-2019, 02:26 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Few more bumper scrapes, but after a while you'll just get a fresh spoiler and be fine.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I've read many threads on lowering a GTS and so far have decided against it. My biggest concern is ride quality. I feel the stock configuration rides so perfect i'd hate to mess it up. I know most everyone that has the Techart springs say there is no change in the ride quality but I'm still not convinced about that so until I am i'm staying stock. Someone please convince me that the ride quality with Techart is identical to factory....I wanna lower it so bad
Old 06-05-2019, 08:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by eysa
I've read many threads on lowering a GTS and so far have decided against it. My biggest concern is ride quality. I feel the stock configuration rides so perfect i'd hate to mess it up. I know most everyone that has the Techart springs say there is no change in the ride quality but I'm still not convinced about that so until I am i'm staying stock. Someone please convince me that the ride quality with Techart is identical to factory....I wanna lower it so bad
Ride quality actually improves in some/most situations with TechArt springs in the 991.2 Carrera, in my experience. The progressive rate springs are actually softer a great deal of the time (60-80%?), but the downsides are 1) a bit or porpoising when the spring rates skyrocket on big, quick compressions (these are rare), and 2) I don't think my 991.2 Carrera handles quite as nicely as it did stock. I'd say the looks improve 100% of the time, the ride is nicer 80-95% of the time, and the handling is off maybe 2-8% (most people aren't gonna notice or care). I'd actually like to raise my car a hair. It looks good low, but it's 0.25-0.50 inch too low.

Caveat with all of the above is obvious: YMMV in a GTS...
Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Ive never once thought my ride felt better lowering ANY of my cars. Which I did to all of them but the truck. I felt it HANDLED better at low speeds. Looked better. But ride comfort was always taken away. I also find that most lowering springs rebound you so hard as high speeds that its not safe. If you are going to lower a 130K+ car, you really should get a set of coilovers actually designed for the car. And Im all about lowering. Im not a hater. Been there. Done that. Coilovers or stock IMO.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 540 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by eysa
H&r springs on GTS 2018, rides better than factory!
The following users liked this post:
BrentRussell (04-08-2021)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Ive never once thought my ride felt better lowering ANY of my cars. Which I did to all of them but the truck. I felt it HANDLED better at low speeds. Looked better. But ride comfort was always taken away. I also find that most lowering springs rebound you so hard as high speeds that its not safe. If you are going to lower a 130K+ car, you really should get a set of coilovers actually designed for the car. And Im all about lowering. Im not a hater. Been there. Done that. Coilovers or stock IMO.
Exactly why i'm hesitant to lower!

Originally Posted by Bill_76

H&r springs on GTS 2018, rides better than factory!
Exactly why I want to lower!
BrentRussell (04-08-2021)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

i lowered with techart, i think comfort dropped a bit from stock, then i added the dsc sport module and now comfort is better than stock even lowered
Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
PASM changed the equation quite a bit...

Forgot to mention: I also found that DSC improved things nicely—both with the standard springs and with the TechArts. PASM's ability to adjust damping forces as needed with lowering springs was a revelation back in 2005~. It has only gotten better in the years since, but the system seems to prefer straight-rate spring sets.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

So the ultimate combination is TechArt spring with the DSC controller to get the optimized ride height and ride comfort?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by .moo.
So the ultimate combination is TechArt spring with the DSC controller to get the optimized ride height and ride comfort?
I have a set of Damptronics and the DSC and it's a noticeably better ride and handling than my stock suspension on TechArt Springs.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,311 Likes on 483 Posts

My T came with Sport PASM as standard. I then got KW springs fitted (by Litchfield) that lowered the car by 10mm at the rear and 20mm at the front.

Love the look and have not detected any noticeable degradation in ride quality. (Maybe I’m not sensitive enough to these things!?)

Am now sorely tempted to get the car lowered by a further 5mm to 7mm as I’m told that the modifications are adjustable. I rarely suffer a scraping of the front spoiler and I guess if I go too low, I can get the car re-adjusted again to the current ride height.

Last edited by Wing Commander; 06-06-2019 at 12:39 PM.
ACJ74 (02-14-2020)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Ride quality actually improves in some/most situations with TechArt springs in the 991.2 Carrera, in my experience. The progressive rate springs are actually softer a great deal of the time (60-80%?), but the downsides are 1) a bit or porpoising when the spring rates skyrocket on big, quick compressions (these are rare), and 2) I don't think my 991.2 Carrera handles quite as nicely as it did stock. I'd say the looks improve 100% of the time, the ride is nicer 80-95% of the time, and the handling is off maybe 2-8% (most people aren't gonna notice or care). I'd actually like to raise my car a hair. It looks good low, but it's 0.25-0.50 inch too low.

Caveat with all of the above is obvious: YMMV in a GTS...
I agree with Stout. I put TechArts on my 991.1 and did both road and track for thousands of miles. When I drove a new 991.2 and was stunned how much better it rode in terms of porpoising and response to input. The TechArts are too soft imo. I won't lower a car again unless I go with full coilovers..

I'd also be a bit concerned about the number of GT4 and GT3s have punched holes through the body (shock tower); in many cases it appears those cars were aggressively lowered. Point is I' lean toward a conservative number closer to ROW specs vs being aggressive...
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by .moo.
^ It's pretty good, and will be a home run for a lot of people. My take is that the "ultimate" combination is DSC plus an adjustable collar setup with the right straight-rate springs. Two vendors make collars (H&R and Elephant), but I've been leaning on TPC to develop a collar/spring set for the 991.2 Carrera line cars. Mike Levitas knows his stuff when it comes to street handling, and I think it would be best of all worlds. I don't want to throw away perfectly good and well developed factory dampers, and I'd rather stick with their interface with the aluminum strut tower than go aftermarket. I'd also love to have the choice to go stock ride height down to TechArt height, though I would set mine higher, targeting 991.1 Sport PASM height—which I think was visual perfection for a street Carrera. Not quite GT3 low, but always looked right to these eyes. The 991.2 Sport PASM cars don't seem to be quite as low, but there are variances in all this stuff. Another reason adjustable collars are so nice...not to mention corner-balancing.

Quick Reply: Lowering a '17 911 GTS