Sponsored by:

Holy schnitzel! Cobb tune on T

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Holy schnitzel! Cobb tune on T

Wow! Did stage 1 tune on T with Cobb Access port. OMG turns quick little T into snarling monster! Swift kick and hold on! Actually makes front end feel light when on full boogie! Love this mod! Amazing how much power can be had just with software!

Drivability great. My only criticism would be now it feels like a turbo charged car. When boost comes on it smacks hard.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

im tempted by cobb but also worried about warranty.. are you guys who tuned not concerned w/ warranty?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Not at all.

About 10 minutes ago I was talking to the wife about getting a tune soon since I have become used the power already. She said it is still fine for her but since I drive it 90% of the time it is my call. Mine feels lighter in the front since the PCCBs were installed, which I assume is more imagination than reality but it is nice to hear that you are feeling the same with a tune - maybe I will imagine air under the front tires when I get the tune.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Just wait until you get some mods and do a pro-tune. Well, not this level of tq/power jump, but still a good chunk bottled up.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Drivability great. My only criticism would be now it feels like a turbo charged car. When boost comes on it smacks hard.
This is my concern. I wonder if GIAC has a more linear factory feel. I disliked the lag and power delivery of the S in general and much preferred the power delivery of the T.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassJ
This is my concern. I wonder if GIAC has a more linear factory feel. I disliked the lag and power delivery of the S in general and much preferred the power delivery of the T.
The first 991.2 I test drove, a 2017 Targa 4S, had a GIAC tune and it did have a more linear feel from what I recall; however, I used to a 930 so the tune I want will have to have a similiar "kick in the ***" feel to it.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 427 Posts

Giac drives really nice. Very flat tq curve, great throttle response. Definitely doesnt feel like a boost monster
Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Sport plus on Hydra tune is amazing!! It is super linear like stock with no lag and pulls much harder. Sport plus seems to have a little lag and lots of burbles!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by koven
im tempted by cobb but also worried about warranty.. are you guys who tuned not concerned w/ warranty?
I've brought my tuned car into service (cobb) multiple times.. Even with a CEL due to no cats. They don't mind one bit. I even offered the service advisor to take her for a rip.

IF anything catastrophic were to happen I am sure they would take care of me.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:10 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

It could be tuned for a flatter tq curve. That's what Porsche did by only running like 9-10psi in the mid-range and up it at the top end. You'd just give up mid-range tq and be slower. So maybe the boost goes to something like 14-15psi in the mid-range before the bump to 22psi at the top. But you'd lose like 70tq or something in the mid-range.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 PM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I've brought my tuned car into service (cobb) multiple times.. Even with a CEL due to no cats. They don't mind one bit. I even offered the service advisor to take her for a rip.

Scottsdale or Chandler?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery

I would not be too sure of that since PCNA would have to approve any major repairs and I doubt a dealer would risk lying or sending them false data. Don't get me wrong since I plan to tune my almost new car soon but I know and accept the risk.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Im with Bob. The dealer wont pay for the parts and labor on their own dime if PCNA rejects the claim on drivetrain components. No matter how cool they think I am. Its pure business.
Now Champion supposedly warranties part on Giac tuned cars, only if there is no abuse, which can be loosely interpreted. I can see them sending new turbos, hell even a few pdk’s or motors but that ship could sail after a few big claims. They could fight it while my 911 is a brick in the garage and theres not much I could do except say “F it, heres $xx,xxx and fix it now”. I bet I could also be on the hook for labor at the dealer at 195$/hr. And I would be paying for lunch breaks if you know what I mean. Replaced motor automatically goes on the title as well.
This was carefully evaluated prior to modification, and like Bob, sometimes u gotta grab the huevos and do it. Its worth it. Just be mentally prepared to deal with the real possibilities of tuning. Maps less optimized than stock, occasional hiccups (minor or major), sub optimal performance if further bolt ons are added, warranty for stuff breaking etc. Going to jail for driving like an actual hooligan is another reality altogether.
My 2c
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
It could be tuned for a flatter tq curve. That's what Porsche did by only running like 9-10psi in the mid-range and up it at the top end. You'd just give up mid-range tq and be slower. So maybe the boost goes to something like 14-15psi in the mid-range before the bump to 22psi at the top. But you'd lose like 70tq or something in the mid-range.
Yeah not a chance I want to give up that low end kick. Although from what I see Cobb stage 1 grabs 15 psi and stays there from mid to top end. I’ll get used to that whump. It’s rather addictive. Had a chance to pace a Nissan GT-R on big open stretch of divided hwy with zero traffic that wanted to play today. Little T hung right on Godzilla - if anything I was gaining when in fat spot in torque curve staying even as I got close to redline and at shifts.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Yeah not a chance I want to give up that low end kick. Although from what I see Cobb stage 1 grabs 15 psi and stays there from mid to top end. I’ll get used to that whump. It’s rather addictive. Had a chance to pace a Nissan GT-R on big open stretch of divided hwy with zero traffic that wanted to play today. Little T hung right on Godzilla - if anything I was gaining when in fat spot in torque curve staying even as I got close to redline and at shifts.
My car with giac grabs 15 down low and 19 psi above 5500. From the logs i’ve seen cobb does more like 19-20 down low up to 23 mid range to redline. That extra 5 psi in the cobb early in the power band is good for an extra 50 ftlb over the giac and gts until about 4650 rpm

Quick Reply: Holy schnitzel! Cobb tune on T