Sponsored by:

Steering wheel vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration?

Noticed a vibration in the steering wheel when not holding it, say at 55mph hands off the steering wheel vibrates.
with hands on its fine.

is it something built it. Car vibration or needs wheel balancing.
never sure with these new electro mechanical steering wheels
Old 05-25-2019, 11:31 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had temporary conditions such as this when the car has sat for even a couple of weeks. Tires and my engine all sort out with driving and driving hard.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:33 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Nope, have not had it ever and that is not normal.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Most likely wheel balancing issue.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Yeah could be wheel balancing or stone stuck in a tread or something.
but thought if it was wheel balance it would vibrate even with hands on
when have it checked out when I get the oil changed this year
Old 05-26-2019, 01:02 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Mileage on tires?

Tires could be cupped causing the sensation.

Any tire noise?

Run your hands over the treads in both directions...... smooth or are the tread slightly raised on the edges?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Could be lump or flat spot in tire. Warranty covers this.

I know with BMW run flats its pretty bad if you keep the car parked for a long time the tire deforms and it takes a while for it to fix itself after driving around...or it never does. Car sit parked a long time?

My guess is something wrong with front tires.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Vibration can only be seen when not holding the wheel, when holding I cannot feel any vibration.

but still I will get an alignment done could be a toe issue, Just crossed 1100miles.
Also going to check the wheels etc from underneath today, just put the car up on quickjack
Old 05-26-2019, 03:19 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Vibration can only be seen when not holding the wheel, when holding I cannot feel any vibration.
That is something I can't comprehend honestly. The vibration is obviously not originated in the cabin's steering wheel and as such it is not a digital ON/OFF with your hands not touching/touching the steering wheel. Let say hands are not on the wheel and it vibrates. Now you just touched it very lightly with your hands. The vibration is still there. Now you started holding it more and the vibration decreases. To me it tells me that your hands are counter fighting the vibration coming to your steering wheel. It also tells me that you can do it successfully and that leads to a conclusion that it is not severe, but rather mild vibration you got. So most likely your root cause is very slight unbalance of a wheel telegraphing into your steering wheel. Otherwise, if it was more pronounced unbalance, you would feel it with your hands no matter what. So it could be due to uneven tire wear off or very slightly improperly balanced wheel.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
That is something I can't comprehend honestly. The vibration is obviously not originated in the cabin's steering wheel and as such it is not a digital ON/OFF with your hands not touching/touching the steering wheel. Let say hands are not on the wheel and it vibrates. Now you just touched it very lightly with your hands. The vibration is still there. Now you started holding it more and the vibration decreases. To me it tells me that your hands are counter fighting the vibration coming to your steering wheel. It also tells me that you can do it successfully and that leads to a conclusion that it is not severe, but rather mild vibration you got. So most likely your root cause is very slight unbalance of a wheel telegraphing into your steering wheel. Otherwise, if it was more pronounced unbalance, you would feel it with your hands no matter what. So it could be due to uneven tire wear off or very slightly improperly balanced wheel.
Yeah, when my hands are resting on then] wheels I don’t feel it at all, my hands don’t vibrate either. Car is stable and drives straight with or without hands on it.
i was initially thinking its feedback from NJ’s finest roads.

but I will have it checked out any way, I’ll make some videos on my next drive
Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Would wheel balancing be covered under warranty? Isn’t it something dealer does before delivery?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Would wheel balancing be covered under warranty? Isn’t it something dealer does before delivery?
Aligments are covered as a courtesy for 12 months but not balancing, unless the dealer does an alignment and feels it is needed, or they are very nice! And they do not balance before delivery unless they feel it is needed on a test drive for the PDI, or you notice it before buying it.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Spent half a day at the dealer, they have the hawkeye elite
first we checked balance on all four wheels - they were perfect
so we removed the spacers and went for a test drive the vibration was gone, so suspect spacers which are ecs tuning 10mm hub centric.

Next checked the the alignment and it was out a little, SA checked with Porsche and porsche replied that its only covered for the first 3 months
so had to pay for both but they did give me a bit of discount, awesome wash and good company for couple of hours.

car is driving all true, I will test the spacers again but putting on just rears and then just fronts.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:26 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

What spacers? Car wasn't stock?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 427 Posts

Notice the factory alignment has front left camber -1 and front right -0.5. Mine had this too. They do this to adjust for road crowning which is opposite in chicago as it is in europe. Would make my car pull left. I changed it to -1 on both wheels and its dead nuts straight. Cyberbug, have you noticed the steering wheel needing to be a little to the right to go straingth on a perfectly flat road.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration?