Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - excessive rear wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019 | 10:19 PM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Originally Posted by minthral
Yes have rear steering. Is there anything documented that increases wear? I would think it reduces wear due to steering geometry.
I am pretty sure when I picked up my car 2 mos. ago I read two things: rear tires would wear faster due to turns at crawl speeds, and rear tires would be more noisy when circling at crawl speed b/c
the tires are turning side to side. But not sure where I read it ....
Old 05-27-2019 | 08:23 AM
minthral
Pro

Wonder if Michelin will keep pro-rating replacements 2-3 times per year. I know they keep history of claims when you call in.
Old 05-27-2019 | 02:17 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

The "comfort" tire pressure setting will make your ride much more comfortable with decent tire wear. I just replaced my original Pirelli P-Zero tires on the front of my 2015 C2S with PDCC at 39,829 miles with 4/32 tread left evenly across the tire. I replaced the original rear Pirelli P-Zero tires at 22,000 miles with 3/32 even tread across both rear tires, but down to the 2/32 tread bar on the outer edge on the right passenger side. The second set of Pirelli P-Zero rear tires wore the same, but I got a nail and was losing pressure so I replaced the tires with 4/32 left as I was taking a trip with rain and potential ice on the Ridge Route to Los Angeles.
The PDCC does eliminate the normal inside of the rear tires wearing out and gives even wear side to side.
I had my alignment checked at 40,000 miles and the right rear camber was a bit off causing the outer edge to have worn early on both the original and replacement right rear tires.
I am now running one pound above the comfort setting on the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires hoping to avoid the center tread wearing out slightly ahead of the outer treads (but less than 1/32nd").

Over inflation wears out the centers and under inflation wears out the outer edges in a smooth pattern meaning no sharp "fish scale" felt when running your hand around the tread either way. Improper camber can also wear out one edge in the same smooth, no "fish scale sharp tread edges" manner which improper toe in or toe out will cause.
Yeah . . . I helped teach alignment to Union 76 dealers years ago.
Old 05-27-2019 | 05:49 PM
miker2019
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
The "comfort" tire pressure setting will make your ride much more comfortable with decent tire wear. I just replaced my original Pirelli P-Zero tires on the front of my 2015 C2S with PDCC at 39,829 miles with 4/32 tread left evenly across the tire. I replaced the original rear Pirelli P-Zero tires at 22,000 miles with 3/32 even tread across both rear tires, but down to the 2/32 tread bar on the outer edge on the right passenger side. The second set of Pirelli P-Zero rear tires wore the same, but I got a nail and was losing pressure so I replaced the tires with 4/32 left as I was taking a trip with rain and potential ice on the Ridge Route to Los Angeles.
The PDCC does eliminate the normal inside of the rear tires wearing out and gives even wear side to side.
I had my alignment checked at 40,000 miles and the right rear camber was a bit off causing the outer edge to have worn early on both the original and replacement right rear tires.
I am now running one pound above the comfort setting on the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires hoping to avoid the center tread wearing out slightly ahead of the outer treads (but less than 1/32nd").

Over inflation wears out the centers and under inflation wears out the outer edges in a smooth pattern meaning no sharp "fish scale" felt when running your hand around the tread either way. Improper camber can also wear out one edge in the same smooth, no "fish scale sharp tread edges" manner which improper toe in or toe out will cause.
Yeah . . . I helped teach alignment to Union 76 dealers years ago.
Slightly offtopic but how would u compare the pirelli pzero vs the michelin ps4s? Any drop in performance? What about road noise and compliance over potholes and such?
Old 05-27-2019 | 06:51 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by miker2019
Slightly offtopic but how would u compare the pirelli pzero vs the michelin ps4s? Any drop in performance? What about road noise and compliance over potholes and such?
PS4S is better in every way possible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Psorcery:
0luke1 (10-13-2019), TurboS_GG (10-13-2019)
Old 05-28-2019 | 02:38 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Did you have your alignment checked - and 32f and 36r works well.
Old 06-08-2019 | 08:26 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

I can't tell any real difference between the Pirelli P-Zero tires I put 39,000 miles on and my new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires after 4,000 miles . . . in rain and on several long-distance trips in both cold and hot weather. I did not see much difference in smoothness, nor do I detect much difference in tire noise. My C2S has PASM and PDCC.
I think that the allegations of improvement with new Michelins could well be new tires with deeper tread versus the worn out tread on the old tires.
Sorry . . . and I have been a Michelin fan on all my cars for over 50 years.
Old 06-09-2019 | 07:31 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I used the originals P zeros that came with my 2018 C4S for 2500 miles before replacing them with the Michelins, I use comfort pressure, partial load as specified in the manual, 29 psi fronts and 33 rears. After about 4500 miles on the Michelins, the rears are down to 6-7/32 and the wear is uniform. Ride quality is excellent, far superior to the Pirellis. Grip is superb. Lovely tires. Noise level on the highway is marginally better. Most of my driving is on back roads. Use winter tires five months of the year.
Old 10-13-2019 | 11:36 AM
minthral
Pro

Just an update that my 2nd set or rears are at 7k miles and plenty of tread left, so it seems like 15k may be doable. They've also been less noisy than last set.

I drove the first set in the winter and that may have caused the excessive wear. Maybe it was just a bad set overall...I had some handling concerns that I don't with this replacement set.

The road in front of my driveway does have black marks from tire rub. Never had this before in other cars including Porsche...I think the low speed rear steering does cause more wear.
Old 10-13-2019 | 12:01 PM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

I have right at 9,000 miles on Cup 2s that are now needing replacement and plan to switch to 4s. Was actually surprised at how long the Cup 2s have lasted but I bought them with the intent of tracking the car some but haven’t so all the miles are either highway or spirited back road driving. I’m also religious about tire pressure and have found 30f and 33r to feel right. Hope the tire pressure adjustments being recommended helps.
Old 10-13-2019 | 12:05 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Just an update that my 2nd set or rears are at 7k miles and plenty of tread left, so it seems like 15k may be doable. They've also been less noisy than last set.

I drove the first set in the winter and that may have caused the excessive wear. Maybe it was just a bad set overall...I had some handling concerns that I don't with this replacement set.

The road in front of my driveway does have black marks from tire rub. Never had this before in other cars including Porsche...I think the low speed rear steering does cause more wear.
Reviewing the thread, the culprit to your wear and handling issues was likely due to using the higher “full load” pressures listed on the sill.
Old 10-13-2019 | 02:02 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Do you happen to have any photos of the original set that shows the date code on the tires? I bet it's easy to burn down to 2/32's on the rears in less than 10k miles depending (or contribution from driving habits, too much negative camber, under/over inflation), but I'd also expect uneven wear instead of the mostly even wear that you experienced. The fact that they refunded 30% makes me wonder if there's a bad batch out there.
Old 10-13-2019 | 02:23 PM
minthral
Pro

Yea I suspect something wrong with first set like maybe old. I had asked to check the dates on the first set, but tire shop never provided it and I never really pushed it. They were convinced it was my lead foot and car HP...they provided the tires from their warehouse so it would have been kinda awkward for them to admit they installed some old tires too.

Wear was really even. Normally you get more inside wear, but this car had PDCC and its was really even. There was no excessive center wear you get from over inflation, which BTW I fixed really early on after I realized handling was off.
Old 01-19-2020 | 09:14 AM
minthral
Pro

My second set lasted 10k miles. New set (prorated) was installed and the put 40 PSI cold rear and 38 PSI front, then also alignment was done. Car does not wander and is very stable even going 100 MPH...only difference is alignment paper says -1 camber on both front wheels was fixed (neutral). I'll reduce the pressures when I get a chance.

I think a good rule of thumb (for me) is to expect to change the rear tires every oil change.
Old 01-19-2020 | 01:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

7000-10,000 miles does seem low. I just replaced rear Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss on a 991.2 Carrera with TechArt springs at 13,700 miles. Down to the cords on the inside of the RH rear, clearly related to camber. LH tire still has 500-2000 miles in it, but obviously had to replace both. Will play with the alignment when new fronts show up. They're okay but one picked up a screw, so....

Funny thing is...I got the same mileage out of Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on a GT4 that had been set up. Thought about going to Cup 2s on the 991.2 after a couple of light track days in the Carrera, but don't need them as the car hardly has a traction problem with the 305s out back, don't plan on tracking this car really, and don't love the idea of the Cup 2s weather compromises and tire noise.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - excessive rear wear?