Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Dyno Day Results (C2, CT GIAC, CT Cobb, C2S X51)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The GIAC tune is quite tame. That car had headers and high flow cat, so two big exhaust restrictions removed, yet didn't make near the torque of the COBB tuned car without headers or HFCs. I suppose that's why GIAC is a dealer installed option and the COBB is not.
You are correct, sir. My car should pull harder than the one with stock headers/cats. However, im hitting a 400 ft lb target load instantly with only 13 psi of boost and leaving alot of power on the table in 4th gear. I have never seen such a sharp tq plateau before. The GIAC seems super safe and maybe thats why dealers still back it up with the limited powertrain warranty. Cobb did get some CELs on the dyno and pulled lots of power on subsequent pulls but it could have been because we didnt have the correct fan setup. Codes were probably AFR and transmission related. We think these cars need a TCU map.
Im allowed to say GIAC is working on a more aggressive “stage 2” map for cars with headers etc, and the flash loader option is on the table. However i dont think we will see as much torque from them as Cobb OTS maps unless they develop a TCU flash to increase torque limits. Was informed that the transmission isnt very happy above the current levels and have seen it first hand. At the end of the day the result with GIAC for a Carrera is that you basically get a GTS with great throttle response and safe/usable power delivery with all the stock nannies on. Cobb is much more aggressive for sure and the extra power is very enticing. I dont know which one has better driveability but I will say that the GIAC feels more linear and more responsive than the stock calibration without turning the car into a complete donut machine. Just wish it had more top end in gears 3 and 4.
Honestly in 1st and 2nd gear its already running too much wheel torque at 400 unless you have really sticky tires AND its warm out. Trust me, and ask Aatish I would really like more top end in 3rd and 4th gear where all the exhaust mods would really come into play.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:03 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
You are correct, sir. My car should pull harder than the one with stock headers/cats. However, im hitting a 400 ft lb target load instantly with only 13 psi of boost and leaving alot of power on the table in 4th gear. I have never seen such a sharp tq plateau before. The GIAC seems super safe and maybe thats why dealers still back it up with the limited powertrain warranty. Cobb did get some CELs on the dyno and pulled lots of power on subsequent pulls but it could have been because we didnt have the correct fan setup. Codes were probably AFR and transmission related. We think these cars need a TCU map.
Im allowed to say GIAC is working on a more aggressive “stage 2” map for cars with headers etc, and the flash loader option is on the table. However i dont think we will see as much torque from them as Cobb OTS maps unless they develop a TCU flash to increase torque limits. Was informed that the transmission isnt very happy above the current levels and have seen it first hand. At the end of the day the result with GIAC for a Carrera is that you basically get a GTS with great throttle response and safe/usable power delivery with all the stock nannies on. Cobb is much more aggressive for sure and the extra power is very enticing. I dont know which one has better driveability but I will say that the GIAC feels more linear and more responsive than the stock calibration without turning the car into a complete donut machine. Just wish it had more top end in gears 3 and 4.
Honestly in 1st and 2nd gear its already running too much wheel torque at 400 unless you have really sticky tires AND its warm out. Trust me, and ask Aatish I would really like more top end in 3rd and 4th gear where all the exhaust mods would really come into play.
Exactly, limiting torque should make it more reliable. And it looks like GIAC basically limited torque to X51/GTS power levels which makes it very reasonable to say it's safe for warranty. Makes same torque/power as a stock validated OEM setup on the same engine, therefore very difficult to deny powertrain warranty. Cobb runs like 22psi in the midrange, hence the way fatter torque curve. Of course, it comes at a compromise. That sharp torque curve on your car is definitely enabled by the headers and HFC. Cobb tune running so much more boost certainly led to increased IATs and heat soak. Don't know if you've seen this, but Vektor Performance came up with this blower setup on their dyno.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

So I logged my boost by gear using an obd2 reader. Matches up really well with my cars guage. Gears are all the same. Hits 15 psi by 3000 (it was hot and humid today, was only seeing 13-14 on dyno day which was in the 60s) then it climbs to 19 psi. I think I have the stock gts map dude...
i wonder what the giac S/GTS maps are running. Probably 17->21 (s) and 18-> 22 (gts). I bet the base tune would be nicer without this intermediate 15 psi boost limiter.

Last edited by Rennolazine; 05-26-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Before my X51 PowerKit was installed the highest boost on my gauge was 13 psi. After X51, peak boost is 17 psi. So if you are getting 19, it sounds higher than a GTS.

I'd love to have a COBB AccessPort for data reading. But I want to wait a while for the tune, till it has 15k miles or so. That's at least a year away, and who knows what tunes will be offered then?
Old 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Before my X51 PowerKit was installed the highest boost on my gauge was 13 psi. After X51, peak boost is 17 psi. So if you are getting 19, it sounds higher than a GTS.

I'd love to have a COBB AccessPort for data reading. But I want to wait a while for the tune, till it has 15k miles or so. That's at least a year away, and who knows what tunes will be offered then?
The S guage maxes out at 17. You are getting 19 but its not showing it
the base gauge maxes out at 15 so i only see that on the dash. I had to use a logger to see the full boost
Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

I see...

Check out these Carerra T dyno curves found on Dyno Spectrum's Facebook page

Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCA1983
I see...

Check out these Carerra T dyno curves found on Dyno Spectrum's Facebook page
Yeah aatish sent me those last night. Those guys are bad to the bone! Gear optimized godzilla map
Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

The 50% differential is interesting.
Let's see what they do...

Side track, hearing PCA's car in person has me hooked on bypasses...
Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Agree. Bypass sounded bad a$$. Noticeably louder than headers/200 cell cats, which are noticeably louder than muffler delete.
Im afraid if you do this with the fabspeed its gonna be a drone monster
Old 05-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Aatish
Pro

Agree. Bypass sounded bad a$$. Noticeably louder than headers/200 cell cats, which are noticeably louder than muffler delete.
Im afraid if you do this with the fabspeed its gonna be a drone monster

YOLO
Old 05-26-2019, 12:45 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Would be interesting to see what a stage two Cobb would pull based off the stage 1 numbers
Old 05-26-2019, 02:04 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Would be interesting to see what a stage two Cobb would pull based off the stage 1 numbers
If I recall correctly, the Stage 2 calibration was done on a car with high flow cats only.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Yeah aatish sent me those last night. Those guys are bad to the bone! Gear optimized godzilla map
Even better, next they are going to offer wifi flashing of your ECU from the web, using your phone via Wi-Fi to their device connected to your OBD-ii port.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Aatish
Pro

I'm liking what I'm hearing
Old 05-26-2019, 03:20 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 263 Posts

That is great news! About time.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Dyno Day Results (C2, CT GIAC, CT Cobb, C2S X51)