Sponsored by:

C4S Ducktail Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM
SFITR
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default C4S Ducktail Install

Anyone can post a step by step guide to install an oem ducktail on a 991 C4S please?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
SFITR
Track Day

Anyone has a guide for an OEM ducktail installation ?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:27 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

wouldn't it just be a direct swap and program at dealership?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM
SFITR
Track Day

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
wouldn't it just be a direct swap and program at dealership?
Yeah sure, but if anyone can guide me how to start removing active spoiler, brake light etc... it would be so helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

A little googling brought these up....
Spoiler Removal
http://plenums.blogspot.com/2016/10/...r-spoiler.html

Brake Light Removal
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-removal.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tallation.html

Not sure what else you'd need, this should get you started, just google what you need - it's all out there
Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 AM
PSGA4
Track Day

Hello, great move on going with the DT. It looks fantastic.
I often am the only 911 with a DT at pretty much every coffee and cars event or any other Porsche related gig I attend, welcome to the club.

I installed a DT on my 991 last year. I bought the complete kit from Suncoast and I also chose not to buy and install the sunroof module, as I don't drive at 100+ with the sunroof open, it is always closed at those speeds...

What I will recommend is that if possible have a Porsche dealer install the DT. I understand it is quite expensive but read on...
In my experience and of more than one other person on this forum, we have had an issue with the new wiring harness, which is provided in the kit which comes complete from Porsche Germany.
The problem which we faced was that the pins in the new spoiler wiring harness not matching up with the body side harness and is a bit of a task to try and figure out what is going on.
When the pins in the body side harness plug do not match up with the new the spoiler side harness plug , you end up with a "high brake light malfunction" warning in the dash. Some 991 model years also need to have a wiring modification which involves removing the driver side seat and crossing over two wires which enable the DT high brake light to receive a signal.
The seat wiring mod and the whole install is pretty straight forward as the provided instructions are very well explained. You have to swap over the 3rd brake light from the rear grill and install it in the DT, all very easy. Just take your time.
I fortunately was able to figure out the pin mismatch issue with help from a friend who happens to be a Aircraft Avionics Engineer and pins and plugs are second nature to him.
I called Suncoast and explained the situation regarding the incorrect manufacture by Porsche of the harness and they asked if it was installed at a dealership. Had I paid to have it installed, they said they would have followed up directly with the dealership.

Just some food for thought before you start the project.
Good luck and hope you do not run into the same issues I did.
Godspeed.

Last edited by PSGA4; 05-17-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Better spacing.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:46 AM
SFITR
Track Day

Originally Posted by PSGA4
Hello, great move on going with the DT. It looks fantastic.
I often am the only 911 with a DT at pretty much every coffee and cars event or any other Porsche related gig I attend, welcome to the club.

I installed a DT on my 991 last year. I bought the complete kit from Suncoast and I also chose not to buy and install the sunroof module, as I don't drive at 100+ with the sunroof open, it is always closed at those speeds...

What I will recommend is that if possible have a Porsche dealer install the DT. I understand it is quite expensive but read on...
In my experience and of more than one other person on this forum, we have had an issue with the new wiring harness, which is provided in the kit which comes complete from Porsche Germany.
The problem which we faced was that the pins in the new spoiler wiring harness not matching up with the body side harness and is a bit of a task to try and figure out what is going on.
When the pins in the body side harness plug do not match up with the new the spoiler side harness plug , you end up with a "high brake light malfunction" warning in the dash. Some 991 model years also need to have a wiring modification which involves removing the driver side seat and crossing over two wires which enable the DT high brake light to receive a signal.
The seat wiring mod and the whole install is pretty straight forward as the provided instructions are very well explained. You have to swap over the 3rd brake light from the rear grill and install it in the DT, all very easy. Just take your time.
I fortunately was able to figure out the pin mismatch issue with help from a friend who happens to be a Aircraft Avionics Engineer and pins and plugs are second nature to him.
I called Suncoast and explained the situation regarding the incorrect manufacture by Porsche of the harness and they asked if it was installed at a dealership. Had I paid to have it installed, they said they would have followed up directly with the dealership.

Just some food for thought before you start the project.
Good luck and hope you do not run into the same issues I did.
Godspeed.
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Why didn't you use the brake light from the active spoiler? Am guessing it can connect to its same connector again. My car is 2013 C4S UK spec. I also didn't get the sunroof module as I hardly use it.

Last edited by SFITR; 05-17-2019 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Additional text
Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 AM
PSGA4
Track Day

As per the Porsche install instructions, the brake light from the rear deck lid is what is removed and a blank plate is provided in the kit to fill the gap where the brake light used to be.
That is then installed in the D.T after colour match and paint.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The seat removal and wire splice procedure is for early model 2012 991's
The rear connector pin misalignment is pin 8 and pin 4 don't match in the wiring harnesses, those have to be aligned. Dealer or a shop that has PWIS will be able to program the car for the Sport Design Package to eliminate high level brake issue and spoiler fault over 75 mph as the ducktail doesn't raise.

Cman21

Quick Reply: C4S Ducktail Install