PSDS cars for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts
Default PSDS cars for sale

Shopping for a track car, I noticed that the past year GTSs, GT3s, 718 Cayman and Boxster S, TTS from the driving school are for sale. Nothing wrong with that, I just wanted to call attention to the good peeps at RL for it. The dealers sometimes call it factory demo. Most of the time it's just fine, but several are manual and they were over-revved numerous times, particularly after leaving the PDK GTS on a prior session.

The TTS take a toll on numerous launch control poney show. The 718s are simply over abused on the skid pad.

They say they "refresh" the car and sometimes CPO them. I know they dont replace the PDKs. They replace the PCCBs during the life of the car there, how many miles after that they go to auction, I dont know. the CPO reports are fail/pass for the disc, percentage left on the pads.

So, GTS yellow (mostly manual) and red (mostly PDK), with PDCC and PCCB are the tell. No sunroof, no steering wheel control, most of the with standard alcantara. 718 were S model, red w/ steel rotors. The TTS were blue, but those are probably long gone. Check carfax for a gap in the mileage (eg - 1 mile inspection in AL, then offered for sale around 15k miles)

Not causing a stir, just more data for the informed customer.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Good looking out.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Thanks for the info. I think that it is important to inform the consumer. Most dealers will, due to legal disclosure, let you know it was used for this purpose, but I am sure there are some that wouldn't.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks for the info. I think that it is important to inform the consumer. Most dealers will, due to legal disclosure, let you know it was used for this purpose, but I am sure there are some that wouldn't.
If you ask, maybe. I did see a PSDS TTS last year being sold as new. That's plain wrong.
Call it a "factory demo" may not be technically wrong, but it's not quite ethical, IMHO

Btw Being CPO doesn't mean much. Or warranty for that matter. You're in the hands of your SA. Doesn't matter if the salesperson is your buddy. The shop GM will decide on calling the Porsche rep. By default, they will try to deny. Just my 2c on that part of the deal.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
If you ask, maybe. I did see a PSDS TTS last year being sold as new. That's plain wrong.
Call it a "factory demo" may not be technically wrong, but it's not quite ethical, IMHO

Btw Being CPO doesn't mean much. Or warranty for that matter. You're in the hands of your SA. Doesn't matter if the salesperson is your buddy. The shop GM will decide on calling the Porsche rep. By default, they will try to deny. Just my 2c on that part of the deal.
I found this out as well. Bought a CPO car with many problems. Ended up selling it for quite a loss. In the future, a really solid PPI and a Fidelity Warranty is what I will be going with.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Almost forgot:
991.1 RS in white, sofas, no buckets. Those were gone by feb last year.
Then a bit later GT3 also white, PBCC, sofas. I saw a couple for sale now. A bit tougher to spot. Always PDK and proper to use in track but I saw them being rushed into engine breaking time.

Current batch:
PDK GTS white, same deal with options as the first post.
718 GTS cayman and boxster in lava, steel rotors
TTS carmine red
RS in lizard, sofas

These cars should be all replaced by the end of the year. I know the GTSs will be fone in favor of 992s in the second semester.

Also, this thing that the cars are bulletproof goes with a grain of salt. They fare better than the competitors, but we needed to come back and swap cars in the middle of sessions bc of suspension faults all the time. I got one car with a bent suspension, made for some funky laps.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:25 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

When I picked up my car in Atlanta, I did the Experience there. I asked my coach what they did with the track cars when they were cycled out. He told me they were auctioned off. He also stated that the tires last 300 miles.

I'm going to the Barber Experience for the 2-day next month, I'll ask the same question there.

I have to say, they encourage hard driving once they've had a look at you, those cars are pushed hard. I wouldn't want one unless you're looking for a track car like the OP.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Atl an LA "experiences" are not the same as what happens in AL. I did Barber about 5 times, the last couple were RSR (4 day). Even the first (performance) course is quite tame. Lead follow can be very boring if you have a slow driver in your group.

Things get better at the masters but really good at RSR, mostly bc the drivers are more experienced and it's a lot of track time.

I'm looking for a track car, but a manual that was a PSDS car is out for me. We all asked that. The cars are refreshed, paint corrected and sold at auction to stealerships. They come and go in batches.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:11 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

John - how did you find out about the specific ones that were for sale that you listed here? I'm curious because when I was at Barber, they never told us which ones were specifically for sale at any time, but rather that they simply sold them when the next models (typically keeping them for a year) came out.

And by TTS, you mean Turbos, correct? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:11 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

When I was at the Atlanta Experience, it was a slow day (only three total, then two) and had an open track for almost the entire time.

Got to drive at a good clip, 90+, but in respect for the lack of run-off and the ARMCO, I didn't let the car hit the optimum lines, even though my coach was encouraging me to do so.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
John - how did you find out about the specific ones that were for sale that you listed here? I'm curious because when I was at Barber, they never told us which ones were specifically for sale at any time, but rather that they simply sold them when the next models (typically keeping them for a year) came out.

And by TTS, you mean Turbos, correct? Thanks.

Well I was looking for a 991.2 and bumped into a lot of yellow GTS with those specs. I knew they were replaced late last year/early this year, so a simple search with some parameters in the national Porsche database showed several GTSs there and the cartax confirmed it. I don't want to list any particular ones here.

The cars come and go in batches. They don't use them for more than a year and/or 15k miles, so I've been told. Then all of them get refreshed and auctioned to stealerships.

The GT3 in white stayed for less time, I think it was filling the slot for the RS bc they lost a couple back in 17-18. They replaced them with LG RS
Current pictures:
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: PSDS cars for sale