Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifters on Steering Wheel????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:51 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters on Steering Wheel????

Hi - I'm looking at a PDK 991S to replace (or supplement) my manual 997S as the clutch is killing my leg. At any rate, I came across this 991S that has PDK but the shifters are on the steering wheel instead of having paddle shifter. I have paddle shifters on my 458 so I'm used to actual paddles. What's the deal with this set up? I do not see it on many cars. Is it an option? Is it still a dual clutch system??? An explanation would help! Thanks!

https://my.dealersocket.com/NewEbroc...d=TgewSm69FPs=
Old 05-02-2019, 01:51 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Old 05-02-2019, 02:14 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

I would be suspicious of a dealer that advertises the original MSRP of that vehicle a being $207,535.00 (see picture below) when I reality it was only $120,430.00

Name:  photo84.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  566.0 KB

Name:  photo762.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  295.0 KB
Old 05-02-2019, 02:32 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 3point8
Hi - I'm looking at a PDK 991S to replace (or supplement) my manual 997S as the clutch is killing my leg. At any rate, I came across this 991S that has PDK but the shifters are on the steering wheel instead of having paddle shifter. I have paddle shifters on my 458 so I'm used to actual paddles. What's the deal with this set up? I do not see it on many cars. Is it an option? Is it still a dual clutch system??? An explanation would help! Thanks!

That is the standard PDK wheel - and yes it is dual clutch. Both buttons have up and down ****. I replaced mine with Techart aftermarket paddles. About $1,000 with install. The build sheet is below as well.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:38 PM
camaroz1985
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is the standard wheel. Would need the sport wheel or retrofit the newer wheels for paddles. Same everything just different way to activate the manual shifting. You could either adapt to this or convert to one of the other wheels if this car checks all the other boxes for you.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:38 PM
JKE_MN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is PDK dual clutch. I had that set up on my 2016 981 with PDK. They function as paddles but just look different.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

ok thanks so much for the insight. looks like its just standard wheel vs. sport wheel. appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:49 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 3point8

Not all the 911 are that way. I have the GT sport steering wheel and it has the normal paddles. Find one with GT sport steering wheel.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the "multifunction" wheel. Same gearbox, just buttons on both sides of the steering wheel to shift with. Push the button on the front of the wheel, it upshifts, pull (toward you) the button from the back of the wheel and it downshifts. You can also shift with the stick -- push "up" (forward) to upshift, pull "down" (backward) to down shift.

Having owned a DCT Ferrari myself, that particular wheel will be confusing to you initially, because both buttons on the wheel do the same thing, push either the right or left one and they will upshift, unlike the paddles, where the right upshifts and the left downshifts. I have the multi-function wheel in my PDK 991 and what I eventually did was got accustomed to pushing the front button with my right hand, and pulling the left button with my left hand.

There are nice things about that wheel, primarily the ability to change the information screen in the fifth gauge or answer calls and so forth without taking your hand off the wheel and fumbling for a stalk or a button. The TechArt paddles are nice but very expensive for what they are.

The other thing that will take some getting used to is unlike the Ferrari, where the paddles are mounted to the column, as you turn the wheel in the Porsche, the paddles turn with it, so changing gears on a turn is not as intuitive. You do get used to it fairly quickly, but I'd hate to be switching back and forth a lot.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Nephroid
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroz1985
That is the standard wheel. Would need the sport wheel or retrofit the newer wheels for paddles. Same everything just different way to activate the manual shifting. You could either adapt to this or convert to one of the other wheels if this car checks all the other boxes for you.
Just to add to this, the GT Sport wheel doesn’t come w/ multifunction in the 991.1. You can retrofit to a 991.2 style wheel that has paddles and MF but it would run you ~$2-3k for a new wheel, aftermarket adapter, and programming depending on your desired config. Some good threads on here if you’re interested.

I currently have the 991.1 multifunction wheel with the “button” shifters. They actually protrude out the back of the wheel enough to give it a paddle like feel. Biggest change is that either button can shift up (push) or down (pull).

i’m still Considering a retrofit but in the end not sure it’s worth the $2k. Can think of more interesting mods for the money.

Last edited by Nephroid; 05-03-2019 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently swapped out my MF wheel with shift buttons to a 991.2 MF wheel with paddles. Yes, it was expensive but to me worth it. I prefer the look, feel and size of the new wheel much better. Also, I personally hated the buttons and prefer the paddles.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Nephroid
Intermediate

mfonseca - can you speak more to the size difference between your old and new MF wheels? Is it more diameter vs thickness?
I'd be much more likely to make the switch if it significantly improved the hand feel of the wheel.

Also how difficult was the swap. Did you do it yourself?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:55 PM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nephroid
mfonseca - can you speak more to the size difference between your old and new MF wheels? Is it more diameter vs thickness?
I'd be much more likely to make the switch if it significantly improved the hand feel of the wheel.

Also how difficult was the swap. Did you do it yourself?
The wheel is a bit smaller in diameter. Its not a huge difference it feels better to me. Also, the old wheel the center was pretty flat with the wheel and the new wheel the center is more recessed so if just feels better. Sounds weird but it makes a difference to me. The thickness is pretty much the same between the two. The new wheel fells a slight bit thicker at the 10 & 2 positions which you can see if the picture.

I installed it myself and it was a very easy install. The old wheel comes off very easily and the new one goes back in the same way. The GPS adapter instructions were very clear and easy to follow. The entire process took about an hour and I went very slow to make sure that I didn't miss anything. My old wheel did not have heat function so I decided not to add that functionality to the new wheel since I don't drive the car in the winter. If you want to add heat functionality I believe it adds a few extra steps.

If you are unsure stop by a dealer and sit in a 991.2 and touch and feel the wheel for yourself.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Nephroid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mfonseca
The wheel is a bit smaller in diameter. Its not a huge difference it feels better to me. Also, the old wheel the center was pretty flat with the wheel and the new wheel the center is more recessed so if just feels better. Sounds weird but it makes a difference to me. The thickness is pretty much the same between the two. The new wheel fells a slight bit thicker at the 10 & 2 positions which you can see if the picture.

I installed it myself and it was a very easy install. The old wheel comes off very easily and the new one goes back in the same way. The GPS adapter instructions were very clear and easy to follow. The entire process took about an hour and I went very slow to make sure that I didn't miss anything. My old wheel did not have heat function so I decided not to add that functionality to the new wheel since I don't drive the car in the winter. If you want to add heat functionality I believe it adds a few extra steps.

If you are unsure stop by a dealer and sit in a 991.2 and touch and feel the wheel for yourself.

Thanks! I’m thinking of the exact same mod. Would love to add heat but not worth changing the clockspring and PIWIS programming. I would also keep the Sport and Sport+ selectors in the console as you have done.

Aesthetically it’s just a better looking wheel. More sporty and evocative of the 918 Spyder interior vs the current Panamera inspired look.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:15 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I swapped my wheel, too. Worth it.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters on Steering Wheel????