Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$100,000 open top dilemma: what car to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 AM
Targe19
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I've read many posts by owners of cabrio owners about how comfortable their kids were in the rear seat, but unless the driver has short legs or the kids or under 5 years, I don't see how anyone would be comfortable in that rear seat.

My 4 year daughter in her car seat and her 9 year old cousin fit perfectly in the back of a 991.2 Targa. I’ve had a 12 year old boy sit behind me before just fine. I’m 5’11”. My 2 and 4 year old just love the Top down! And the 4S is plenty fast when driven hard!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:13 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have driven them, except for the Targa. I may have to drive a few hours to see that one. My older one can sit in the front seat, and the little guy in the back. He will be fine back there for a few years. If/when they outgrow it, I have a more "practical" car, but for now, the 911 will get the nod when the weather is nice.

I like the Targa looks, but I don't need 4wd and the extra weight seems like a hinderance. We had a 2007 4S cab and it was way more traction than was needed. So, I will probably scratch that one, as I found a couple of reviews online that mentioned it. Same with the turbo someone else mentioned. I forgot that both are only 4wd. As a "driver", I suppose both are off the board. GTS it is.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:25 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

GTS is a good choice especially if you need to get some family utility out of it. Keep in mid the Cab and Targa GTS models do not benefit from the full PDCC 20mm lowering. Your going to get Standard PASM of 10mm lower. I believe you referenced some suspension comments above so just making sure this was out there. George Notaras from MotoManTV on YouTube discuss this in some detail in a number of Targa reviews he does. He did like 3 of them and one was with a Product Manager/Porsche Company person for the Targa line.

Lastly, Center-Lock Wheels. Little easier to work with standard 5 lug wheels if you planning on keeping a 2nd set for track use since you seem to be planning on dual personalities for this vehicle, and it doesn't read like you settle for anything less than maximum utility.

Enjoy.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Miata...
Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM
VegasJeff
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're coming from a 991.1 C2S, you will love the torque of the 991.2 C2S. The performance difference between the 991.2 S and GTS is minor.

I think you'd be very happy with a 2017-2019 C2S Cabriolet. I would recommend whatever you get, make sure you get the RAS. It's a game changer.

Good luck in your decision and let us know what you decide!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:07 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

We've owned our '15 Targa 4S since new, I've never noticed its heavy, and my reference car, our '83 911SC Cabriolet is lighter than any 991 Porsche ever sold to the public.

My hunch is if you spend 30 minutes lapping your favorite track in a C2 coupe and another 30 minutes in a Targa 4S, you might... might... find a perceptible difference. Most of us aren't test drivers and are likely misled by snobbish journalists attempting to differentiate the various 911s.

We didn't buy our Targa because it was fastest... but it's plenty fast. We picked it for the most fun... and the Targa gives you easy access to fun no-matter the weather. Top-open on 55 degree days? You bet! I notice the x-drive on our BMW wagon (it's an '08 535 6MT) but never notice Porsche's AWD. I do notice the car has extraordinary capabilities no matter the condition of the surface on which I'm driving. The 991.1 engine has a wonderful character... but its admittedly a wall-flower until 4,000 rpm's. She really comes out of her shell around 5,000 rpm's.

I have no idea if the Targa is right for you, but I also have no patience for the oft-recited "it's too heavy, it's too slow". Take one for a spin and see how it feels... I can't imagine it won't be time well spent!
Old 04-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Go with your gut

If the GTS is what you go to sleep thinking about... that's your car. If there's doubt, keep driving until you find THE car. You'll know it when you get out of it. You'll want back in it! All others will be pretenders and "make do" compromises.

When I sold my '12 Targa 4, I began driving 991's. '15 C2, '15 Targa GTS, '16 Targa 4S, tracked a '18 Turbo S at Summit Point, and on. When I got into the '19 Targa 4S PDK RAS, there was no doubt I was going to buy THAT car. I wanted back into it. I still do when I put it up. I don't feel it's heavy. I don't feel that it's top heavy. I don't feel cheated in any way. It was THE car. And, it scoots! The 997.2 Targa 4 was raw and great fun. The 991.2 was sophisticated and faster. Much faster.

If you are not going to track the car. If you are going to drive you children to school in it. If you are going to go on long drives and you want to see things you won't in a Coupe. Then there's a car that is out there to think about. Maybe a 991.2 Targa GTS. They're out there.

Enjoy.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:17 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Several new available around me. Plus a couple of CPOs. Inventory is flush right now.

Quick Reply: $100,000 open top dilemma: what car to buy?