Sponsored by:

M3 or 991.1? .... M3 or 991.1? ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
there is a major difference between an M340/M550 and an M3/M5. That isn’t a fair comparison. I have been a long time BMW guy and have owned M340s, M3s, M4s, M5s, M2s and currently have an M3CS. Also have a 991.2 TTS on order.

The 911s are phenomenal vehicles and a step above bmws, but they are also much more expensive (equally optioned). M cars are fantastic for what they are, a regular daily driver that can double as a weekend track car. As far as “soulless” and any other emotion someone might feel, that’s all subjective. I agree the M cars could be better, but that would mean they’d have to cost more.

Im currently leasing a 104k M3CS with 0 down for 900 a month. In no universe will you be able to lease any Porsche with that price tag for that much. Basically, it’s all preference.
Pretty sure I pointed out the "cozy" factor in the non 'M' specific models we own. So we don't disagree on the 'M' aspect at all. Maybe I should have been more pointed about the trackability of the 'M'. Kudos on the M3CS.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I like driving my E92 M3 more than the 991.1GTS.
The F8X M3 is a huge disappointment with its awful sounding blown motor, lifeless electric steering and poorly sorted out handling...my humble opinion of course.

Test drive and buy what makes you happy...
Old 04-30-2019, 01:24 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
there is a major difference between an M340/M550 and an M3/M5. That isn’t a fair comparison. I have been a long time BMW guy and have owned M340s, M3s, M4s, M5s, M2s and currently have an M3CS. Also have a 991.2 TTS on order.

The 911s are phenomenal vehicles and a step above bmws, but they are also much more expensive (equally optioned). M cars are fantastic for what they are, a regular daily driver that can double as a weekend track car. As far as “soulless” and any other emotion someone might feel, that’s all subjective. I agree the M cars could be better, but that would mean they’d have to cost more.

Im currently leasing a 104k M3CS with 0 down for 900 a month. In no universe will you be able to lease any Porsche with that price tag for that much. Basically, it’s all preference.
I agree with this sentiment. One can probably pick up a 2015 M3 with 25,000 miles for around 40 grand private party. 40 grand gets you 40,000 mile 2005 C2S with potential bore scoring issues ($22,000 fix). The M3 is much much quicker, and handling is different but just as good. The C2S will be lighter, the M3 stiffer laterally and with much better suspension.

Which drives better? Well, that is a fair question, and one that depends on your perspective. The M3 will depreciate more, but the C2S may incur the "large" repair bill. I had a 34k mile C2S 2005 scoped, and the 6th cylinder wasn't pretty, so I passed.

The 911 is a 911 (slightly feminine without the Aerokit, IMO), and the M car looks modern, muscular, and mean.

Both are great cars!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:25 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I like driving my E92 M3 more than the 991.1GTS.
The F8X M3 is a huge disappointment with its awful sounding blown motor, lifeless electric steering and poorly sorted out handling...my humble opinion of course.

Test drive and buy what makes you happy...
E92 M3: heavy, but what a well balanced ride. If it didn't get such terrible mileage, it would be my daily of choice. They can be had all day long in the low 30's!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
wow. Blown away by this. Huge X5M fan. And I’ve heard they are amazing as a DD.
Well if you care to ask-

Handling- it is amazing at 7/10's, once you are past that you will exponentially notice the weight, understeer, and the artificial feeling of BMW's version of PDCC.
Steering- it is very light or very heavy, not much in between, also feels somewhat numb and artificial
Power- amazing off the line, but then AWD and weight takes hold and at high way speeds it feels dogged.
Transmission- zf8 speed shifts quick, but will not skip shift 2 gears, upshifts smoothly, downshifts harshly and disturbs the chassis, if u use manually it may overheat after prolonged use (3 times for me)

To be fair, I don't think I will get another performance SUV again, it is no dancing partner, and will actually throw you out of bed if you're trying to take transitions too quickly.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 476 Likes on 217 Posts

I am a huge M3 sedan fan. 4 doors / 5 seats / large trunk / manual transmission .... the ability to order one very basic, so the cost can stay relatively low.

The 911 is better around a corner, but the M3 package of Motorsport + Practicality is hard to beat, IMO.

Depends on what you need in a vehicle....

911 feels more special / M3 more practical, both are great.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

To answer the first question: 991.1

To answer the second question: Even more 991.1
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I really never feel my 991.1 longing for power as I've really tuned into the powerband to know exactly where in the RPM band to be, depending on what I want out of the car. I find that immensely preferable and more fun as it's feeds a connection with the car, as opposed to what I consider a generic powerband I've had in most of my other cars where boost comes on low, carries through, and then there's not much reason to hit high RPMs (one being it doesn't give off a rewarding auditory or power crescendo). And when you get it right with a 991.1, it's just so satisfying, and no better reward than the unadulterated symphonic notification behind you. The M3's torque comes on brutally enough to where it's almost comical so that renders it some character, but still, imo soulless, no sound quality, and nothing exotic or special.

Originally Posted by Kg11
They are about as fast: they just get there differently. The M3 is great if you need the practicality of a family car! The 4S doesn't offer that. The 4S is a much better driver though; I don't think there is one thing about the M3's driving experience I prefer. It sure is a looker though, and in the right color, can look more exotic than a 911. Check out the one in the classifieds in Sakhir Orange!

The 911 will depreciate less: the F80 platform is still dropping around $800 a month. I am seeing low-mile, well spec'd 2015's selling in the low 40's now. They continue to plummet. A similar 2015 C4S is only going to lose about $350 a month with minimal mileage. The 911 is likely to be more reliable as well.
Funny to hear a 3 Series- one of the most common bodies around, be described as more "exotic" than one of the most exotic platforms around (rear engine, low, sports car) but I guess I do get what you mean in that it really depends on how dressed up your 911 is and that BMW goes a long way to dress M3's up in cool loud colors, etc. to compensate for being of a common architecture.

Oh yeah, the depreciation between both cars couldn't be more different indeed. M3's will continue to fall like rocks and 991.1's (911's in general perform very well on the used market, especially as they start to get older, but especially 991.1's being the last N/A Carreras have been and imo will continue to perform especially well, namely as time goes on). M3's are typical cars that race toward the inevitable "$10K" mark once mileage and years pile up. Not gonna happen with a 911, especially the last N/A. even 996's got low but will inevitably (if not already) start to move back up.

Originally Posted by Nephroid
I just traded in my 6-Spd Dinan Tuned F10 M5 for a 991.1 PDK C4S Cab and couldn’t be happier. Despite 693hp post tune the M5 was “fast” but completely sterile. 100mph was yawn inducing. Had to get into license revoking speeds to feel any emotion. The C4S is pure joy at any speed.
Originally Posted by oriphinz
Not quite on the same level as you but i had a e90 335i with ~500whp and it was boring, yes it could blow the tires off in any gear below 4th but the chassis was dull, floaty and boat like, I attempted to fix this with some aftermarket suspension, didnt help. I traded it for a MX5 with 130whp and it was 100 times more fun to drive. Im in a C4S now and as you said, pure joy at any speed.
Agreed. When I drove an F10 M5 it felt the furthest from an M car. It was quiet, coddling, powerful in a "luxury saloon" way but not a sports car way. Dare I saw my 535i "M Sport" felt more playful. Sure it was fast, but fast in a way where you're sitting in some virtual reality simulation of speed. You just don't feel it. Pointless. It felt like a business saloon that is engineered to do it all (go fast in ultimate comfort). As mentioned above, cars with 4x less power can feel immensely more exhilarating.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3

To be fair, I don't think I will get another performance SUV again, it is no dancing partner, and will actually throw you out of bed if you're trying to take transitions too quickly.
Drive a Cayenne Turbo and come back and revisit that statement.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:55 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
E92 M3: heavy, but what a well balanced ride. If it didn't get such terrible mileage, it would be my daily of choice. They can be had all day long in the low 30's!
I could stomach the bad mileage if they at least put a decent sized gas tank in it. I got tired of filling up every few days.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:53 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Last fall I made the mistake of driving a 991.1s for sale in the neighborhood, bought it a couple days later and love it. The hi revving na reminds me of my old 89 M3, the one I should have never got rid of... At that time I had a 964 c2 and the e30 M3, it was funny to be shopping the same options 20 years later. Prior to the 991 my DD was an e39 M5, very fun and functional, but not a true sports car.

When I drove the F80 it was clear it would be a great replacement for the old M5, but it didn't do enough better or different to make me commit to that one car.

I'd still like an F80 is for the quick tune to 550hp and ability to haul wife, daughter and at least one GSD. Wife and I are both 6' and our 10 year old can't fit in the back of 991 as she's 5'4".

Keep them both or ditch the M3.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:39 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Drive a Cayenne Turbo and come back and revisit that statement.
My dad has the '17 Cayenne GTS with PDCC-

Better Steering, Better linear brakes and power delivery, but still the PDCC is artificial on these heavy monsters, I think these SUV's are trying really hard to mask the pork, but you might as well get a mid grade one because the top tier is simply still too bloated to dance.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Interesting dilemma.

The way I see it is:
You said you're 62 so it's unlikely you carry teenagers around much and I bet your wife has a normal car.
The M3 is the ultimate iteration of a 3 series sedan. A regular car built to the max.
The 911 was always built to be one thing, a sports car. Even the base model.

Power, well... Porsche has always sucked at the power game, they produce an overall package that will kick butt overall but if you compared pure power it'll lose everytime. Honestly I think a 335i has more torque than my 991.1 base. That's fun - my 335 friend also has visited the dealer 4x this year for various failures.... But I personally enjoy the overall car, the balance, the traction, the brakes, the reliability, and that's the 991 for me. It's a friggin' 991. Read Roundel ? Most M3 drivers aspire to owning a 911. It's just more special.

Now an E92 M3 I could have defended more vehemently, that's a special engine, but the modern turbo stuff leaves me cold. Point and squirt but very little chassis feedback. I should point out I like BMWs, I own a 1973 2002 -heavily modified- which I think is more fun $ for $ than my 72 911.
Also BMW dealers **** me off - they put markups on most cool cars and didn't let me test drive the M2 when it came out.

I used to do a lot of track days, I've seen my share of M3s with brakes on fire or crumpled rear end from spinning into a wall.. Never saw a broken down 911 at the track. Maybe I'm lucky. At the end of the day: What do you want to do ? If you take freinds to the winery on the week end and need 4 seats or do a lot of highways and love the torque, the M3 might be better. You have fun twisty roads around and want to feel special each time you turn the key, 991.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
It's not heavy it's an absolute PIG!
But fun and, to your point, at around $30k an incredible value proposition.
Wouldn't let the gas mileage bother me, best I ever got was 27MPG and in the GTS, 30.1.
But who buys an M3 or a GTS and worries about gas mileage? Both cars beg to be, and should be, pushed routinely!

Quick Reply: M3 or 991.1? .... M3 or 991.1? ....