Sponsored by:

Insurance heads-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:29 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Yes, I want to know who the carrier is too.
Originally Posted by DaveGee
Come on, name names! Who are are you trying to protect?

DaveGee
Originally Posted by dwaldi
Also in SoCal -- would love to know your carrier vodkag. I was with Wawanesa for a number of years and my premium became nuts when I traded my C63S for a 991.2 C4S and an Audi SQ5. I recently switched to USAA but my premium is still about $1800 for 6 months of coverage. Early 30s, high FICO, no accidents/claims.

A bit more background, i do have a multi policy discount and professional discount (since i have my motorcycle and one of my rental properties insured with them) PLUS umbrella insurance as well. I am in Socal as well

I had my nephew who is in the insurance business (state farm) to give it a go on beating my rate, his staff was shock to see what I am paying and told me that he cant even come close to it. I also priced out wawanesa as well last year (just to humor myself) and they were $10 more for 6 mos (but very close)
Old 04-29-2019, 06:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Well, I got another quote today $5600 per year for same cars. It must be my NorthEast Orange County location lol! Again, my wife and I have no tickets, no accidents, both licensed at 16, 4 year college grads, high FICO score, and have Auto, Home, and Umbrella policy from same company, Libert Mutual, and I worked there for 18 years. A nearly 30% increase in December because, it California?? Now I do plan on leaving CA, but might be sooner than I thought.
Apparently you aren't alone.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/grow...te-survey.html
Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 PM
gforcealt
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, I've found that an umbrella helped bring my rates down a lot with State Farm in TX. I have a few rental houses, though, and everything (house, cars, rentals) is on one policy, so the umbrella helped because it enabled eliminating duplication of coverage.

Other than USAA, who're the top insurance companies that won't make a claim a pain in the a$$? Amica? Nationwide? Liberty Mutual?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, found out I am actually paying $4765 per year for auto, they said because I did not return the mileage form I may be paying a bit more. If I return it I will get a credit but they could not tell me how much. Checked out Wawanesa, $1,925 for 6 months. FYI
Old 04-29-2019, 09:46 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nowadays loyalty doesn't mean sh-- and this applies to "ANY" company that you have a monthly or annual premium arrangement such as your telephone, cable, insurance, trash, ...etc. Unless they have a monopoly in your area, if you don't shop around their prices you are simply bending over for them to get screwed. Sorry to be sounding so harsh but this is the reality my friends.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:10 AM
gforcealt
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aljus
Nowadays loyalty doesn't mean sh-- and this applies to "ANY" company that you have a monthly or annual premium arrangement such as your telephone, cable, insurance, trash, ...etc. Unless they have a monopoly in your area, if you don't shop around their prices you are simply bending over for them to get screwed. Sorry to be sounding so harsh but this is the reality my friends.
I totally agree. They're taking advantage of people's tendency to set up auto pay and then forget about it.

In TX, electricity service is deregulated, meaning no one company has a monopoly over a geographic region and a retail consumer can pick any of many, many possible providers (delivery is still regulated, so delivery isn't handled by the provider). As you would expect, the providers all have cheap introductory offers and then gouge you when the offer expires.

I use a service - Energy Ogre - that, once your cheap introductory offer expires, automatically changes you to another provider and another cheap introductory offer. No gouging.

I'd use the same type service for other monthly or annual premium services, if it were available.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

thanks for the heads-up, fast1
Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 PM
woodstock964gt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You pretty much have to do something like this every 2 years (MIN). Your carrier is NOT going to tell you you could be paying less for something, why would they?

There's a reason the 'loyalty' discount is always less than the "shopped it around discount" when you threaten to change carriers.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gforcealt
I totally agree. They're taking advantage of people's tendency to set up auto pay and then forget about it.

In TX, electricity service is deregulated, meaning no one company has a monopoly over a geographic region and a retail consumer can pick any of many, many possible providers (delivery is still regulated, so delivery isn't handled by the provider). As you would expect, the providers all have cheap introductory offers and then gouge you when the offer expires.

I use a service - Energy Ogre - that, once your cheap introductory offer expires, automatically changes you to another provider and another cheap introductory offer. No gouging.

I'd use the same type service for other monthly or annual premium services, if it were available.
I have Comcast and they are the epitome of the cheap introductory offer. They generally offer a two year contract, and in the second year the rates increase by about 25%. Of course you can cancel your service, but then they hit you with an early termination fee. 5G will be available in my area within 12 months, and I'll switch the moment that Verizon offers it, even if Comcast matches their rates. Can't wait to leave a company that has exploited me for years because they had a monopoly in my area.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

BTW, I've found that an umbrella helped bring my rates down a lot with State Farm in TX. I have a few rental houses, though, and everything (house, cars, rentals) is on one policy, so the umbrella helped because it enabled eliminating duplication of coverage.

Other than USAA, who're the top insurance companies that won't make a claim a pain in the a$$? Amica? Nationwide? Liberty Mutual?
I am currently dealing with USAA on my claim for an uninsured motorist that hit my Porsche. They make it a pain in the *** like every other insurance company, and are no different.

They used to be that way, but they exploded the membership the last several years and are just another big insurance company. Twice now on two different issues I have argued with them and then had to report the issue to the state insurance commission. Twice USAA was in the wrong and had to fix the issue after the result from the state.

-TJ
Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 AM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

2000 Ferrari 360, 2005 Benz CLK500, Liberty Mutual, $1056 per year. The Ferrari is under $600 for the year.....
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 GMC 1500 4X4 , Geico, $1390 per year.
1970 Trans Am, 1997 Viper GTS, Heacock, $774 per year.

I am in So Cal.

I had the Shelby under Liberty, it more than doubled from one year to the next, called them to remove, they did
as they could not get it much lower. Then the agent refigured the Benz and Ferrari and rates dropped about $200...
Old 05-02-2019, 03:04 AM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

I have had 2 claims with Liberty, last one was many years ago. Both smooth as butter, no issues repairing additional claims after initial repair.
very happy with their service then. How it is now, do not know....
Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

What? You have six cars insured for less than what I pay for three? Granted, mine are all less than two years old, but still, that’s nuts. Looks like I’ve got some work to do. Thanks for sharing.

DaveGee
Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcobra1
I have had 2 claims with Liberty, last one was many years ago. Both smooth as butter, no issues repairing additional claims after initial repair.
very happy with their service then. How it is now, do not know....
I was with Liberty Mutual for 30 years on autopay, and then they started to jack my price up. When I cancelled, they wanted nearly $12K/yr for my 335is. No tickets, no accidents. I switched to Geico for about $1200/yr for the 911, had one claim on my Cayman, and they handled it well. I've been with Geico for four years now, and they have not jacked up the price.

I'll never go back to Liberty Mutual, and I'll never recommend them.

Quick Reply: Insurance heads-up