Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question

As my factory warranty expires in November of this year, I have started looking for quotes for an extended warranty contract. I contacted the dealership where I will have most of the work done as I wanted to work with one that they use there. To provide a quote, they are telling me they have to inspect the car at a cost of $150. This seems odd to me. Has anyone else ever run into this?

-TJ
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default search fidelity here

There are several providers who require no inspection and will be 2x less than dealer for the same product. Fidelity platinum seems to be the product most folks here like.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Current miles?

Year of car?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

No, it is not odd, at least with Fidelity. If you time it correctly, you can use the report from your last service. I have been using the local P dealer for all my maintenance work. So, I timed the latest service to be just before the expiration of P warranty, and used the invoice from that service to apply for the Fidelity warranty
Old 04-16-2019, 04:23 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my Fidelity warranty from the dealer that services my car and all she did was verify the mileage.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Depends on the dealer that is selling it to you. The one local guy around here wanted my car for inspection. Michael Jourdan who is popular around here does not require one.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Several threads have discussed the topic already so search for those and you will get all the information you need, but to answer your question inspections are sometimes required depending on who you buy from.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Current miles?

Year of car?
2014 Turbo S with just over 34,000 miles

-TJ
Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Several threads have discussed the topic already so search for those and you will get all the information you need, but to answer your question inspections are sometimes required depending on who you buy from.
I have read through those, but never saw anything where they were going to charge for an inspection. I get wanting to see the car, and it will be at the dealer here shortly for the 4/40 service, but charging for the inspection seems out of the ordinary.

-TJ
Old 03-02-2022, 11:25 PM
SpartanSD
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Per the OP, I'd like to know what "engine performance service" is! As others have said, there is nothing on that list that can't be done in an average home garage with basic tools - except the wheel alignment. You'd want a code reader that will let you reset the indicators (Icarsoft works for me), and a Motiv pressure bleeder would make the brake fluid change easier. Taking off the rear cover to replace the air filters is a bit intimidating, but it's highly unlikely that they need it anyway. Apart from tools, a couple hundred should cover it all - plus a wheel alignment at your trusted tire store, if you feel the need.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:09 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
2014 Turbo S with just over 34,000 miles

-TJ
I am on my 3rd Fidelity Platinum Warranty and have no complaints

At your mileage, you should get a warranty before you hit 35K miles as the Rates will go up by $900-$1500 depending on the coverage you are looking for once you pass 35Kmiles

Rates are adjusted at 10K, 25K, 35K and 45K miles.

Dont pay a lot more for a lot less warranty simply for the superficial confidence or a hand shake and implied confidence that you are dealing with people you know. They will turn their backs on you the moment they accept your money and tell you to deal with the 3rd party warranty company directly if there was an issue.
Go with the warranty that has been proven to cover claims, has a 20+ year track record. Many extended warranty companies are backed/underwritten by shady offshore companies that write/sell contracts and then file for Chapter-11 when claims come knocking (ask me how I know)

Good luck

Last edited by desmotesta; 03-03-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:48 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartanSD
Per the OP, I'd like to know what "engine performance service" is! .
I recently asked my dealer the same question. The answer is below. Kind of reminds me of the old days when dealers used to try and upsell us to “undercoating”.

DaveGee

Old 03-04-2022, 10:59 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Another important point

Always insist on an Exclusionary coverage, as in, the policy clearly itemizes items that are excluded meaning ALL ELSE is covered.

Most extended warranties sold by dealers are inclusionary, as in they make a big show of dozens of items that are covered, leaving out strategic items that are overlooked and are big failure and pain points.

The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 01:04 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 405 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I recently asked my dealer the same question. The answer is below. Kind of reminds me of the old days when dealers used to try and upsell us to “undercoating”.

DaveGee
What company is this? I've never seen such limits on coverage "per item", the brake coverage is weird too because that is a wear item.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Old 03-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 405 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Another important point

Always insist on an Exclusionary coverage, as in, the policy clearly itemizes items that are excluded meaning ALL ELSE is covered.

Most extended warranties sold by dealers are inclusionary, as in they make a big show of dozens of items that are covered, leaving out strategic items that are overlooked and are big failure and pain points.
Yes sir, that is why the top tier companies like Freedom Warranty and Fidelity are exclusionary on their most comprehensive coverage. I also hate when companies send you "information" on coverage and it something vague and typically a graphic that just says "engine". I always send the fine print, exact contract, even on a quote request, "here is what you are signing up for word for word".

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Question