Stunning 991 available at my local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 AM
brandontrek
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stout
Yep, that was my car.

The short story: The car had a "knocking" noise they couldn't rectify (despite trying awfully hard) plus minor issues (door rattle, dash rattle, etc).

The noise (apparently driveline related) required multiple visits to the selling dealership an hour or more away, which got old with a new car. I had hoped for the trouble-free experience I had with my GT4 (and am so far having with the Oak car's replacement). And, for that matter, every Porsche I've owned as well as 99% of the press cars I've spent time in over the last 20~ years. So, I think this car was a fluke. Porsche certainly tried to fix it, and the coolant changes referenced above are likely related to those attempts. Eventually, my service manager encouraged me to call 1-800-PORSCHE to open a case, which I did. PCNA eventually decided to replace the car, and I have to say the interaction was highly professional. While it was a bummer to see the Oak car go, as I ordered it very carefully, I'm very happy in its replacement. The cars are extremely similar, but I like the Brewster car a bit more. Did think about ordering a T as a replacement, but my predilection for dark green 911s won out.

As for what I can confirm about the Oak car when I turned it in, for those interested:

-Used, but never abused
-Never driven hard unless oil was up to temp
-Never shut down right after it was on boost
-First oil change @ 600~ miles
-Next oil change @ 5,000~ miles (private shop)
-No mods other than clear sidemarkers and leather center console trim (removed when turned in)
-No track use
-Light on the shifter, always
-Driven by only a few, and only those who respect cars
-No accidents
-No paint work
-Front bumper never touched down
-Zero curb rash
-Some rock chips, mostly from the tires on back roads
-No need for tires on my watch (they were getting there, however)

Thank you for taking the time to add a story to a truly unique car. My wife and I are in love with the spec.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:21 AM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Yep, that was my car.
r)
Thanks for chiming in, I knew that must have been your car when I saw it. I love the spec but my logical brain says to give that car a wide berth. Everything I’ve ever seen about about lemon/buybacks is that manufactures fight them hard. It’s never a simple, now rectified issue that leads to the buyback. A salvage title car should bring about a 20% discount and I would think this car is in that same category, if you’re willing to take the risk.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
JAhmed Im more interested in this.
https://barrington.porschedealer.com...AB2A93GS123460

How does this look in person? scratches etc.... thanks!!!
Your link says page not found!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

For those who are curious, I took the liberty of going to check out Pete's old car in person (including test drive). Seems pretty solid to me...if I understand correctly, the car did have its transmission replaced at some point. Drives like a normal 991.2 to me (for reference, I've put 17k miles on my 991.2 in the last 13 months, though mine is a PDK). Car pulls strong in every gear and looks fabulous. The PCCBs make my car feel seriously under-braked LOL. I think someone is going to get a hell of a well-specified driver's car if they can look past the "story".
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 600 Posts

^ Good to hear the car drives nicely—it always did for me. There were absolutely zero driveability issues with the car in my time with it. (Would have to do some digging to see what mileage it had when I turned it in.)

Re: Transmission, it came out based on an inspection during the oil service @ 500~ miles due to a knocking sound I was hearing. Thought it was something minor (like a loose heat shield), but they confirmed the noise and said the transmission had to be pulled to find it. The second time the transmission was pulled, it was replaced with a new unit; they were hesitant to replace the transmission (I don't blame them, given the cost in parts alone). There were also two rattles, one that was easily fixed in the driver's door after I caught it on video, and one in the dash that presented a dilemma (do you fix the dash rattle...if you can...at the risk of introducing new rattles in there). Fortunately, the dash rattle went away on its own after a while and never returned.

Quick Reply: Stunning 991 available at my local dealer