Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed mud flaps.. yes mud flaps.. to hopefully stop those f*%#ing rocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:02 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Installed mud flaps.. yes mud flaps.. to hopefully stop those f*%#ing rocks

Installed mud flaps today thanks to a thread in the 911 R/GT3 section by guys who’ve done this with good results. Tired of these aggressive offset HRE’s only helping that classic 911 issue of kicking up debris all over my paint, so went ahead and did it. Here’s a copy of my post from that thread:

Officially a member of the #FlapGang!

Didn’t take the wheel off, and no power drill, all by hand. Just need enough screws of different shorter lengths to use for different piercing methods (and to ensure no puncturing anything behind the liner), and a screwdriver.

I didn’t get both sides exactly alike (later had the epiphany that I could have just placed the second one backwards on top of the first one and drilled the new holes exactly the same way which would have also saved a ton of time. Oh well) and the driver side hangs a little lower than the passenger side. It kind of bugs me that maybe I set them too low hanging and they’re not precisely exact with each other, but then I think “if you’re gonna go for it, go for it” and wanted to ensure protection which letting them “hang” a bit will do.

When I told my wife I was doing this, she said “mud flaps, like a truck?” hahaha. To some people the view of some black flaps and exposed screws (that part bugs me on a Porsche, but not too much.... yet. Kind of a “durable” look I guess) is worse a bunch of tiny rock chips. But my aggressive offset HRE’s kick up so many rocks to my precious Aqua Blue paint, me and my OCD touch up paint applications to extremely small dots with toothpick tips reached its breaking point. Hopefully this alleviates that.

The way the fender now kind of “flares” at the bottom even kind of looks cool in its way.

Let me know what ya think.

The following users liked this post:
NeilF (02-22-2021)
Old 03-30-2019, 03:20 AM
K-A
Drifting

Hopefully this mitigates rocks being kicked up. Seems like it should. I assume the majority of rock damage happens from the tires flinging them from that low area, and you can see how massively exposed your tires are at the very bottom of the tapered in fenders and how much exposed bodywork is at the mercy of the area below the fenders.

The flaps are a generic $11 part from Amazon. Screwed them into the liners. A lot cheaper than wrapping the doors and fenders. Hopefully effective.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Good job KA. I'm also interested in doing this. My lower rear bumper by the wheels are pitted due to aggressive HRE offsets.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:17 AM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done! The peace of mind is worth it for sure.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Good job KA. I'm also interested in doing this. My lower rear bumper by the wheels are pitted due to aggressive HRE offsets.
Thanks man! I hear ya. I've looked at the bottom of the doors and fenders of 911's with OEM wheels and low and behold, they all have pits and stains. But yeah, our HRE offsets make it extra nasty (I imagine similar for GT cars) which is no doubt still worth it for the nasty stance, but hoping this mitigates the issue. My car has a little sliver of PPF along the rear bumper edges (behind the rear wheels), it basically goes around the thin area before the crease, seems to work wonders as thankfully I haven't had an issue at the rear. Definitely recommend that as well.

Originally Posted by poverty spec
Nicely done! The peace of mind is worth it for sure.
Thanks! Glad it looks clean to you guys. What's funny is although sports cars and mud flaps should be as odd as it gets, I feel they're a lot less intrusive than they'd be on an SUV or sedan. Reason being that the 911 is so low, you don't really see the flaps, and they just kind of blend in with the shadows in regards to hiding how low they "flap" since the car is already practically on the ground. On an SUV flaps are extra noticeable as they sit higher in your line of sight and are still high off the ground.

Yeah, the piece of mind is already immense. Immediately felt like a weight was lifted. Will be interesting to monitor how it works.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:27 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

KA , nice job and they don't look bad either , the color of your helps to blend them into the wheel wells . Send me the link for the flaps you purchased from Amonozon and what size /type screws did u use
Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by orclean1
KA , nice job and they don't look bad either , the color of your helps to blend them into the wheel wells . Send me the link for the flaps you purchased from Amonozon and what size /type screws did u use
Thanks! Here you go. Debating buying another pair and very slightly raising the driver side portion (wondering if you guys can even notice that it hangs ever so slightly lower), or if I should just keep it as is and accept the extra protection a few extra cm's it hangs provide on that side. It's under $8 now. Great value for the protection it will hopefully provide:
https://www.amazon.com/RoadSport-4406-Universal-Premiere-Splash/dp/B000CPHXQ2/ref=lp_11375110011_1_7?srs=11375110011&ie=UTF8&qid=1553945500&sr=8-7 https://www.amazon.com/RoadSport-4406-Universal-Premiere-Splash/dp/B000CPHXQ2/ref=lp_11375110011_1_7?srs=11375110011&ie=UTF8&qid=1553945500&sr=8-7

Check out this thread as someone towards the bottom shows what's behind the liners. I kind of used the pic as a map and used small screws that I have pictured toward the bottom of this thread, as well as the standard screws that come with the flaps. No issues with hitting or rubbing anything even with the longer screws that come with the flaps, as you can push on your liner and see just have much space there is behind it. Just don't use super long screws:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...flaps-diy.html

Last edited by K-A; 03-30-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice job!
Old 03-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Ugh, looks terrible but I respect the effort itself. Was XPEL or a different PPF not an option?
Old 03-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 225 Posts

Nice work KA. I could not bring my self to do it given the screws and look, but I certainly understand the intention.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Well done! Subtle yet effective.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:44 AM
K-A
Drifting

Thanks fellas! Glad to see the reactions.

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Nice work KA. I could not bring my self to do it given the screws and look, but I certainly understand the intention.
Thanks! I hear ya. The screws aspect does bug me a bit, but mostly in theory so far. I’ll know how much it does or doesn’t bug me in literal tangible physicality once I get used to seeing it in various settings, haha. The good thing is it’s easily removable, can be taken on and off, etc. The only downside I guess would be some holes in the liner which would be hard to notice unless you look hard for it, and it’s not a very expensive piece anyway. Hoping and assuming I just forget they’re there and let them provide the extra protection (i.e leave them on).

Originally Posted by Bemo
Ugh, looks terrible but I respect the effort itself. Was XPEL or a different PPF not an option?
Yeah, my main issue with PPF on the sides (would have to be doors and fenders) was 1: Very expensive. And if I just do partial coverage (still pretty expensive) those visible seam lines are fairly high on the car which would drive me nuts (says the guy with the mud guards, go figure lol. But the guards look stealthy enough to where they don’t seem to bug me, at least not yet). 2: If you get a door ding, PDR becomes nearly a thousand+ dollar job as they’d have to remove the entire door or fender wrap to do it (I assume PDR would pull it right off the area of work), and then you’d have to reapply. 3: I saw a GT3 RS with the fenders wrapped and they looked like CRAP up close. The way the plastic takes a beating looks even worse than chipped paint, imo. And it can’t be touched up. 4: Still a bit paranoid it may affect the shine. But I have my whole front PPF’d and honestly it’s very hard to impossible to tell. Seems to shine just as nice and consistent as the rest of the car. More durable from swirls too.

But if money was less of an object, I’d probably just PPF all of it and spend the coin to replace when necessary, lol.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

12 screws for mud flaps, no problem, but we freak out at the thought of screwing on a front license plate. It's not easy being a Porsche owner.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:13 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
12 screws for mud flaps, no problem, but we freak out at the thought of screwing on a front license plate. It's not easy being a Porsche owner.

We are a special bunch.

Thats how I knew I belong.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:25 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I have PPF installed on my quarter panels. It wraps into the wheel well. I have the OEM rock guard on top of that. The seams are not noticeable. It all depends on the quality of the installer.

Quick Reply: Installed mud flaps.. yes mud flaps.. to hopefully stop those f*%#ing rocks