Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Solutions

Hey all. Registered for a couple of Drivers Education events through the local PCA. One of the tech requirements is a fire extinguisher and per my dealer, they are unable to sell the system that Porsche supplies as an option during manufacturing (something with the EPA). Wanted to see if anyone has a product they like. Seen the ones on Rennlist, they seem a little large.

This is the best and one I'm leaning towards at present:

http://www.thebracketeer.com

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:03 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Why can't you buy it from the parts department or maybe Gert/carnewal?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

I have the stock one and it looks very nice. I'm not sure if others have more stuff in them or something but the stock one is very unobtrusive.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:07 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

I would suggest that you buy whatever you like (including smallest and cheapest) that satisfies DE requirements.

Most of the small 2 lb ABC extinguishers will give you a single chance to put out a small fire. Serious car fires will likely require multiple bigger hand-held extinguishers or something truck mounted and shooting foam.

And also remember that dry chem material gets corrosive when wet, especially on aluminum and electrical components and contacts. If you use one on your car, you will need to do some serious clean up (and not just washing it).
Old 03-26-2019, 01:17 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I would suggest that you buy whatever you like (including smallest and cheapest) that satisfies DE requirements.

Most of the small 2 lb ABC extinguishers will give you a single chance to put out a small fire. Serious car fires will likely require multiple bigger hand-held extinguishers or something truck mounted and shooting foam.

And also remember that dry chem material gets corrosive when wet, especially on aluminum and electrical components and contacts. If you use one on your car, you will need to do some serious clean up (and not just washing it).
This is why the extinguisher in your car should be BC and not ABC (easy cleanup). But in reality the addition of a small fire extinguisher saving your car from a fire is very small.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Solutions