Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

PCNA could give 2 s**** - good luck
Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrrdstr
PCNA could give 2 s**** - good luck
that's what I honestly believe also, not like i'm buying a gt2rs or anything right? think my only recourse would be to leave appropriate reviews and maybe leave a post on their BBB page.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Personally I wouldn’t waste my time with the repair guy. It’s a CPO and it’s not to spec. It’s a no discussion replacement. Dealers seem to abuse CPO all the time.

Tell them you are sending it back at their expense for a refund.

PCNA might actually give a crap in this case as I believe they hold the bag on CPO costs (although this isn’t a claim) so won’t appreciate a dealer trying to dodge spec. I’d be all over them.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default cpo really means nothing

Please name this dealer for us and pcna so everyone knows to stay away. Thier bad behavior will only change if thier hand is forced. Also, i would proceed with google and online reviews of what happened. The take away is never hand a dealer a check sight unseen. They lie.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Personally I wouldn’t waste my time with the repair guy. It’s a CPO and it’s not to spec. It’s a no discussion replacement. Dealers seem to abuse CPO all the time.

Tell them you are sending it back at their expense for a refund.

PCNA might actually give a crap in this case as I believe they hold the bag on CPO costs (although this isn’t a claim) so won’t appreciate a dealer trying to dodge spec. I’d be all over them.
Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Please name this dealer for us and pcna so everyone knows to stay away. Thier bad behavior will only change if thier hand is forced. Also, i would proceed with google and online reviews of what happened. The take away is never hand a dealer a check sight unseen. They lie.
I mean I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face, I do love the car, the experience of procuring it has just been a pain. I'm not even mentioning some of the other details they whiffed on.

And I'll share the name of the dealer pending the outcome of this whole ordeal and the resolution.

I just wanted to sanity check to make sure I'm not being unreasonable about this.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I think your best chance of an acceptable outcome is have them pay you for the repair, but use that money towards a new windshield, although they should replace it.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
If it's Memphis, it's Gossett. They've gotten a bit better in the age of the internet reviews, but they are still not a good dealership by Porsche standards.

There is no Porsche dealership in Arkansas. The rule of thumb is if at all possible drive 5 hours to Park Place Porsche of Dallas or Porsche Plano rather than 3 hours to Gossett in Memphis.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

You are not being at all unreasonable. The party who did the CPO should be responsible for a new windshield. I would persist with them. Get what you can, but don't let it bother you. In the scheme of things Porsche, it is, sadly, a low cost repair.

I had a smaller chip (in my Macan in a less obtrusive spot) repaired by Safelight even though they warned me that it could spread. I took a chance and about 6 months later it did- across the whole windshield. My local Porsche dealer had their third party installer replace it with an OEM part, at the dealership and its perfect. The cost was marginally above what my insurance covered with the deductible, so I paid out of pocket. There are no sensors in the glass- they (if you have the rain detectors) are on the car at the center top but the glass itself installs over them. I believe there are defroster or antenna wires in the glass. Turns out it is no big deal to install given glue and no trim.

By the way, Porsche glass seems to collect chips and sandblasts marks over time- I might soon replace my 2012.5 991 C2S windshield. These cars are well worth getting to be exactly the way you want it to be. Great car. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM
trevorlj
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Safelite repaired my windshield a few weeks ago...not in my line of sight and the damage looked about like yours. Tech seemed to be experienced and was upfront that it would not be perfect and would likely be noticeable. I was thinking he might be talking about some minor distortion that only picky people would complain about. Well, the repair is obvious from 6' away...both inside and out...looks like a bug splat about half the size of a dime.

No question...I would replace that.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Lady came out this morning and recommended replacement also.

Now the battle is them pushing me to Pilkington glass vs OEM Saint Gobain glass. Would/does Porsche use non-OEM parts during CPO warranty certification process? I feel like the answer there determines what I should agree to.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:40 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I went out to the garage to see who manufactured the windshield glass on my '18 991.2. It is Saint Gobain. I also looked at our '15 Audi and '10 Volvo. Interestingly, both of these windshields were printed with "Audi" and "Volvo" respectively as well as the manufacturers name whereas "Porsche" is not notated on the windshield.

I'm not sure if Pilkington is a Porsche OEM (most auto manufacturers have more than one supplier for each part) but they are a top tier glass manufacturer. My only concern with them would be the fit of the windshield, not the quality of the glass itself. In any case, I'd require that the replacement be done at a Porsche dealer using Porsche parts.

I think I'd still notify Porsche NA of this issue. Porsche is ultimately liable for any claims under their CPO program, not the dealers. They rely on the inspecting dealer to do a complete and comprehensive inspection and only pass those cars that qualify. I think they'd want to know if someone has taken shortcuts that could ultimately cost them money. Porsche is very "paternalistic" and has ways of "punishing" dealers who do not follow the rules.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
I went out to the garage to see who manufactured the windshield glass on my '18 991.2. It is Saint Gobain. I also looked at our '15 Audi and '10 Volvo. Interestingly, both of these windshields were printed with "Audi" and "Volvo" respectively as well as the manufacturers name whereas "Porsche" is not notated on the windshield.

I'm not sure if Pilkington is a Porsche OEM (most auto manufacturers have more than one supplier for each part) but they are a top tier glass manufacturer. My only concern with them would be the fit of the windshield, not the quality of the glass itself. In any case, I'd require that the replacement be done at a Porsche dealer using Porsche parts.

I think I'd still notify Porsche NA of this issue. Porsche is ultimately liable for any claims under their CPO program, not the dealers. They rely on the inspecting dealer to do a complete and comprehensive inspection and only pass those cars that qualify. I think they'd want to know if someone has taken shortcuts that could ultimately cost them money. Porsche is very "paternalistic" and has ways of "punishing" dealers who do not follow the rules.
Saint Gobain glass has an upside down triangle with a P printed inside. I was told Porsche uses Saint Gobain glass. I also verified all my glass has Saint Gobain stamped.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:53 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

First, I feel for you -- this is a real PITA to deal with on a car, whether CPO or not! Second, I wholeheartedly agree with others here that you should get that windshield replaced, whether by dealer covering costs or out of pocket. Just not a safety issue that I would want to have lingering around....

Lastly, one other avenue to look-into -- depending on your car, year and all that, you might find that the windshield will have to be replaced anyways under warranty due to the deterioration of the sealant that was used during manufacturing. IF it hasn't already been done, and if you rub your finger in along the seams where the glass edge is (esp around the top-edge corners) and a sticky, oily substance comes off -- you are due a new replacement windshield by the dealer. Check around on this board -- many of us have had this replacement, and I just had both front and rear glass replaced last year for $0 out of pocket as warranty by the dealer just because I mentioned I saw this greasy stuff coming off each time I washed the car ('15 .1 GTS). A long shot, but worth looking-into.....

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:22 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I replaced glass on a Cayenne a few years ago and I'm 99% sure that was OEM and Pilkington. Top quality product. Maybe the 911 is different and maybe they switched to SG.

Anyway, I would insist on the current OEM standard.

(Just looked at my '16 which is SG with a P in a triangle).
Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that if your car has automatic high beams, the camera needs to be recalibrated after replacing the windshield. My insurance had paid for Safelite to replace the windshield in my home town, and then I was charged $500 by a dealership in Houston to calibrate the camera. I had to go back to the windshield insurance company and luckily they covered it.

Quick Reply: Glass damage